• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Bilhah & Zilpah

John Whitten said:
Random thoughts flow unbidden through my mind at times. Here is one of them that slipped in while reading this thread. Does it have any significance to the question of, "were Hagar, Bilhah and Zilpah the propert of their mistresses" if we consider that Sarai was the property of Abraham and Leah and Rachael were property of Jacob and were under their husbands authority?

Very good point, John. I imagine that Abraham and Jacob had the right to delegate authority to their wives if they so desired.

Blessings,
Fairlight

Tlaloc said:
No, but it has some nice zingers in it and a better philosophy of law than we often have today.

Also note that 'love' can be a pretty broad term in English.

On the other hand, Hammurabi's code is as directly from God as Tiger-Tiger Ice cream, and I love Tiger-Tiger Ice cream. So I stand by what I said :D

I figure that was a rhetorical statement (if there is such a thing as a rhetorical statement as opposed to a rhetorical question)

But I will ask a question anyway.

Is Tiger-Tiger Ice Cream, directly from God?

So

It actually could have significance that Bilhah and Zilpah were Rachel and Leah's property

Because that means that they can give them away in marriage to Jacob and or that Jacob possessed Bilhah and Zilpah by possessing Rachel and Leah and so he could take them in marriage.

Either way he could take them based on Exodus 21:7-11, because they were someone's property.

Back