• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Meat Blasphemy Against the Holy Ghost?

NickF

Seasoned Member
Real Person
Male
Matthew 12:31-32 KJVS
[31] Wherefore I say unto you, All manner of sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven unto men: but the blasphemy against the Holy Ghost shall not be forgiven unto men. [32] And whosoever speaketh a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: but whosoever speaketh against the Holy Ghost, it shall not be forgiven him, neither in this world, neither in the world to come. …

How should bible believers interpret this passage?

I'm back for more conversation and to shed light on some things. Blasphemy is so serious yet abominations are serious. To declare that Yahuah is not in Jerusalem today is an abomination. Those can be forgiven of course. But not blasphemy. Declaring that the ruach isn't real and isn't present. Maybe declaring Yahuah isn't in Jerusalem is a blasphemy. Hmmm....

It’s a great question, Nick.
I’m still trying to figure out what the Holy Spirit is.

[31] Wherefore I say unto you, All manner of sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven unto men: but the blasphemy against the Holy Ghost shall not be forgiven unto men. [32] And whosoever speaketh a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: but whosoever speaketh against the Holy Ghost, it shall not be forgiven him, neither in this world, neither in the world to come. …

I don’t have an answer for this either. It seems like a big deal though and we should find an answer.

Psalms contain at least 30 times messages than "Lord will our sins as far as east is from west" or something like than. He will forgive all our sins.

This thing with Holy Ghost is rhetorical device according to what I have read long time ago. It was custom for speaker to create greater contrast in order to better drive message. Point is this is very very very big sin, but forgivable.

I see the Holy Spirit as the power of God, or the person in the Godhead through which power is exercised (as whenever the Spirit is involved, things happen).
So blasphemy against the Spirit would, most literally as far as I can see, be to say that something God had done, was done by Satan. For instance, to take someone who had been healed by God and say they had been healed by Satan.
Or to say that a true, Godly prophet or miracle-worker was actually prophecying/miracle-working by Satan...
But that seems a really terrible definition as it is a very easy mistake to make, and would mean far too many people would even unwittingly commit an unforgiveable sin. It's far, far too broad, and would make people err into the opposite and far worse error in an attempt to avoid it.

So I'm sure that's wrong. Maybe if we eliminate everything it is not, we will end up with what it is? :)

I've never heard anyone blaspheme the Holy Spirit. No one.

It’s a great question, Nick.
I’m still trying to figure out what the Holy Spirit is.
The Holy Spirit is "He".

I do agree that there is a lot about Him that I don't clearly understand like the Father and the Son.

"And I will pray the Father, and He will give you another Helper, that He may abide with you forever— “the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it neither sees Him nor knows Him; but you know Him, for He dwells with you wand will be in you."
(John 14:16-17 NKJV)

To answer Nick's question, I'm not entirely sure. I think it might relate to rejecting the saving grace of Christ and attributing the work of the Holy Spirit to evil. Still, that seems more like blasphemy against the Son.

Seriously, what does that even mean?

Ok, so “He” not female.

But we still know nothing.
I don't know that we really have to know a lot about Him. We know what the Bible reveals, and apparently that is what God wants us to know.

I believe that Yah will reveal more as time goes on.
Yah is Someone, but as Creator of the universe He is also Something.
He is both, in my opinion, otherwise we start limiting Him.

Angels are beings, which should make them someone. But the fact that they are angels and different from us makes them something that we are not.

Well, I think it's odd that something so serious is not defined.
I wonder too if it could be disbelieving someone acting under the influence of the holy spirit is. Like for example Abraham sharing his intent to sacrifice Isaac and someone telling him that YHWH would never ask that and it is evil or an evil source he was hearing from in that matter.
Given the examples we have....it might be wise to leave judgment to The Most High in many areas.

One reason we know so little about the Spirit is because His purpose is to testify of Jesus Christ, not Himself. If your job was to tell people about some else, you should not be spouting off about yourself. Shalom

Outstanding!

Great question. One that has long been pondered in Christendom.

I tend to think that blasphemy against the Holy Ghost is unbelief (and all that that entails) as that is the only thing that will not be forgiven.

Great question. One that has long been pondered in Christendom.

I tend to think that blasphemy against the Holy Ghost is unbelief (and all that that entails) as that is the only thing that will not be forgiven.
This has been my understanding for a few decades but I'm always reassessing my beliefs especially after this past year.

This has been my understanding for a few decades but I'm always reassessing my beliefs especially after this past year.

But I can not really prove it, and it is not really clear. I have not really seen another convincing explanation.

I believe that Yah will reveal more as time goes on.
Yah is Someone, but as Creator of the universe He is also Something.
He is both, in my opinion, otherwise we start limiting Him.

Angels are beings, which should make them someone. But the fact that they are angels and different from us makes them something that we are not.
Regarding God as Creator, I would still assert person-ness over thing-ness. If I consider a Person, when I note that he is not "not-a-person" (essentially "a something"), I am not acknowledging a limitation. God is never limited in not having certain characteristics (characteristics which actually are also incompatible with his perfection). Can God without limits create a rock that he is unable to lift?
Of course, you could say "thing-ness" applies to all persons as well as non-persons, but that is not how we are using the language here; "someone or something" is being presented as a rigid dichotomy. If someone asks me if God is a person or thing, I am willfully ignoring their true question if I answer "both;" instead, I would reply in a manner affirming the personhood of God, which we understand to be a perfect union of three persons. It is more correct to associate God with the concept of a person rather than, say a force or a power or a rock or a tree or any other thing.
It is strange, though, how it feels more natural to me to consider the Father or the Son within the framework of person-ness more so than the Holy Spirit. Does anyone have any advice on what I could meditate on to make the personhood of the Holy Spirit a more natural concept for me?

if we could see that we were made in His Image, and recognize that we are body soul and spirit, then accept that the Holy Spirit is simply God's Spirit, which is the essence of His being (as is ours). Then the understanding of Gods ommi-presence is simply the spirit of God extending into the universe as light and heat radiate from the sun. blasphemy is speaking against the Holy Spirit for it is the manifestation of God to the creation. Paul admitted being a blasphemer yet claimed forgiveness through ignorance. Therefore, it seems one is not guilty without understanding or as it is written one has tasted the heavenly gift. The real danger is for the one who has experienced the reality of the presence of the Holy Spirit then proceedes to deny and reject it.

Back