• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Boaz & Ruth

Doc

Real Person
Ok folks, how about a whole new topic related to Christian plural marriage?

I have been doing a study recently on the book of Ruth. Now that I am reading the Word through a new set of eyes, this Biblical tome is just chock-full of incredible information!

Some observations I have gleaned:

1. Boaz was significantly older than Ruth
2. Boaz took Ruth as his wife as a matter of HONOR & OBEDIENCE, not necessarily as a matter of love.
3. The Scripture does not say whether or not Boaz had other wives, HOWEVER, we do know that Boaz was wealthy, and older, and that nothing in the Law or custom whould have prevented him from being married prior to Ruth.
3. We see reflections of Boaz's kindness, indicating that he was a man with a sensitive heart to the needs of others.

I was wondering if anyone else had any insights on the 'love story' (italics mine) of Boaz & Ruth from the Scripture?

Blessings,

One of the most wonderful "love stories" in the Bible, Doc - and not just Boaz, of course, but of Ruth's love for Naomi, and God.

One of my favorite lines:
"...For wherever you go, I will go;
And wherever you lodge, I will lodge;
Your people shall be my people,
And your God, my God."

A couple bits of "Hebrew roots" trivia -
This same story of Naomi's entreaty of Ruth to turn from her and stay behind (as her sister did) is behind the Jewish tradition of always asking a potential convert THREE times about that decision.

And why did Boaz pointedly give Ruth exactly six ephahs of barley - as a message that he knew Naomi would understand?

Chapter four opens with the kinsman-redeemer reference. In many settings, people would need an explanation of the "Law of the Levirate"; probably not so much here, but it is a beautiful illustration of that principle, and a shadow of the Messiah to come.

Finally, the book ends with a look to the genealogy of King David. I remember a discussion I once had with a good friend, an Orthodox rabbi who, of course, did not accept that Yeshua of Nazareth was the Messiah. But we did agree that Ruth was in the line of Messiah, and he found it poignant, as we discussed the concept of "redemption", that God demonstrated that principle by selecting a Moabitess for that role.

I have understood from other sources that in ancient Israel, remaining a single batchelor was NOT considered an honorable option. Those doing so were considered to be defrauding the community for selfish purposes.

If true, and with that in mind, I think the presupposition could/should be made that Boaz was a married man at the time of the story of Ruth.

Ruth 9 "Who are you?" he asked.
"I am your servant Ruth," she said. "Spread the corner of your garment over me, since you are a kinsman-redeemer." NIV

Isiaha 4:1And in that day seven women shall take hold of one man, saying, We will eat our own bread, and wear our own apparel: only let us be called by thy name, to take away our reproach. KJV

Was she asking for a "covering" to take away her reproach?

I dunno, I'm new here :)

I just went through Ruth recently, beautiful story~!
j

Hey Doc,
Some good points there. I never really thought much about the age difference but that is a good point. If a lady today were to marry a much older guy there would be much talk, but if we back up time even just 100 years ago, you saw this all the time. The point about Boaz taking Ruth out of Honor and Obedience is also a good one. For us men who believe in Covenant marriage, there may be an occasion where we may have to step up to the plate and covenant with a women as a means of obedience to the Lord regardless if we have fell in love with her or not, for the Lord may be using us or her as a blessing to either party. This also would reflect your last point in that we would be opening our hearts, as Boaz did, to the need of others.

if you look at the story very closely in the context of the culture of that time you will see that naomi was advising ruth to offer herself as a concubine (the highest position that a non-virgin, non-isrealite could hope for) but boaz chose to honour her as a full legal wife.
of course it must be presumed that she was not the first one. they understood that the first commandmant given to mankind was to be fruitfull and multiply and that this applied to any male who was in a position to support a family. boaz had to have been building his holdings for some time in order to have hired workers for his fields. for him to not have already been married at least once (most likely more) by this point would have made him a man who dishonoured his maker

this is such a beautifull picture of what a patriarch is to be. thats what i want to be when i grow up.

Back