• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Bridegroom

WifeOfHisYouth

Seasoned Member
Real Person
Female
I was reading a verse earlier that made me wonder.. Is a bridegroom always a bridegroom once he has taken a bride, or his he a bridegroom only while taking a bride?

John 3:29
He who has the bride is the bridegroom; but the friend of the bridegroom, who stands and hears him, rejoices greatly because of the bridegroom's voice. Therefore this joy of mine is fulfilled.

Psalm 19:5
Which is like a bridegroom coming out of his chamber,
And rejoices like a strong man to run its race.

Is his joy like in psalms 19 reoccurring with his wife/wives each time he is with her or is it only new joy when taking a new wife that he is talking about?

Just random thoughts.

The Hebrew scholars may see something in the word translated "chamber" that would change this, but it seems to me that the usage of bridegroom is similar to that of bride, in that it pertains only to your status at and around the wedding.

We guys tend to lovingly call our wives our "brides" sometimes even if it's been decades since the ceremony. I don't really remember hearing any ladies refer to their husband of many years as their "groom". Not sure that has anything to do with the discussion; just musing out loud.

Back