• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

...but the New Testament says...

Shadowjak's Dancer

Real Person
Male
We have all heard the arguments about what the New Testament supposedly says about Polygyny, but... I have heard it argued that the Church only banned the institution quote awhile after the writing of the New Testament due to pressure from Rome.

What is the material to show that the Church ban on polygyny was later than the writings of the Apostles and due to these external influences rather than due to the writings of the Bible, if any?

The Romans were the ones who banned polygny and of course later the Roman Catholic Church.

What arguments in the New Testament? The only one I've heard of was agree...if Jesus is referring to divorce and said "In the beginning it was not so". I'm not sure how anyone can argue that verse in regards to Polygny but that's the only argument I'm aware of in the New testament.

Okay, what you said just essentially agreed with the idea that the RCC followed Rome, but what evidence may I cite to demonstrate that to Christians?

And also the thread on John Chrysostom: http://www.biblicalfamilies.org/forum/threads/john-chrysostom-acknowledges-poly.13924/

Look for my post on Tertullian’s On Monogamy

This is a very important one. Tertullian, the father of Latin theology, admits that the Apostles did not prohibit polygamy but that it was a 'new revelation'. Not a church tradition passed down from the Apostles.

Once you understand that the early church fathers, while culturally uncomfortable with polygamy, could not and did not call it sin on the basis of scripture, the NT makes much more sense.

OT Hebrew's were undeniably polygamous. Roman's and Greeks were undeniably monogamous (in legal marriage). Now look at Jesus's teachings on divorce in the NT. He was in truth condemning serial monogamy (divorce and marry another); the practice of the Greeks which by His time were already greatly influencing Israel.

Christ was clearly speaking against the Greek practice of marriage, not the Hebrew one; about which He was silent.

Don't know if this is helpful but here is a secular article that talks about monogamy coming from the culture and not the Bible.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/darwin-eternity/201109/why-we-think-monogamy-is-normal

It is interesting to me how easily this is seen by secular people. It is only Christians who have a dog in the hunt that find it hard to see.

For Christians ask why they call it "traditional marriage" instead of "biblical marriage". The reason of course is because "biblical marriage" would make people think of polygamy...

It is interesting to me how easily this is seen by secular people. It is only Christians who have a dog in the hunt that find it hard to see.

For Christians ask why they call it "traditional marriage" instead of "biblical marriage". The reason of course is because "biblical marriage" would make people think of polygamy...

Right?
IMO I think it is because Christians had lost their intellectual curiosity for a while and never really asked the question, "where does this teaching come from?"

Right?
IMO I think it is because Christians had lost their intellectual curiosity for a while and never really asked the question, "where does this teaching come from?"
Bull's eye.

Check out the Clement of Alexandria thread http://www.biblicalfamilies.org/forum/threads/clement-of-alexandria-acknowledges-poly.13723/

Look for my post on Tertullian’s On Monogamy
Here's @Verifyveritas76 comments: Biblical Families Tertullian On Monogamy and the more meaty: Tertullian sounds off on Monogamy
I'm weak on church fathers; all I knew about Tertullian is that he favored 1 Enoch being part of the canon....
Does anyone know of a good audio book for getting more acquainted with church fathers stuff? For non bible stuff I like to listen while doing other things (like walking to the grocery store or whatever). Tony Robbins NET time, No Extra Time

Last edited:
Does anyone know of a good audio book for getting more acquainted with church fathers stuff
@Shibboleth is the audio book guy;) but here's a DVD set

After the New Testament: The Writings of the Apostolic Fathers Part 1 & 2 (DVD Audiobook) (The Great Courses, Religion)

I listen to it as I read.

Excellent point.
Ever since finding this Biblical Families, I make sure to always say "biblical marriage" in context of polygamy (not to make monogamy wrong but to make people think).

I think it is because Christians had lost their intellectual curiosity for a while and never really asked the question, "where does this teaching come from?"

Honestly, I think it was bred out of them. Personality traits are heritable. Asking questions like that only lands you in hot water. The sorts of people who have that kind of intellectual heft and curiosity are frequently and quickly shunted out of fellowships.

Honestly, I think it was bred out of them. Personality traits are heritable. Asking questions like that only lands you in hot water. The sorts of people who have that kind of intellectual heft and curiosity are frequently and quickly shunted out of fellowships.
True dat

@Shibboleth is the audio book guy;)
Lol. To be fair, I don't think I've ever bought an audiobook, just listened to free ones from librivox (or vids on youtube). Fortunately, all the early church fathers are public domain. The only one I see there by Tertullian is On Patience. Interestingly, the description of the book mentions that he "had some serious anger issues which do creep out", which matches VV76's description of him as "rabid."

Ha! Ask the average evangelical what issues he has against the RCC, and he will tell you that the RCC is filled with too many traditions of men. Then, when it comes to marriage, he will cite "traditional" marriage, and not "biblical" marriage!!! Good one brother!

Back