• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Cain and Abraham, Sisters or Nieces?

From what you write it appears you don't know what an analytical lexicon is or how to use one(?) If that is indeed the case and the level of your abilities to address even the most fundamental aspects of a text there is little point in discussing anything further. Good night.
Run away ! Run away! The uneducated man isn’t accepting that I have secret knowledge necessary to rightly divide scripture! What will we do? What will we do!?! The entire basis for our phoney baloney financial pyramid scheme has been undermined! How will we ever extort an easy living out of the hoi polloi if they think the Bible is sufficient and they can read it for themselves?!?! I might have to get a real job! O woe is me, woe is me!

What are you actually trying to figure out? It’s obvious that the earliest people married their sisters. It’s directly stated in the case of Abraham.

It does not seem possible that Cain and Abel were Adam’s first children. It is much more likely that there had been a steady exodus of their multiplication from Eden for quite some time before Adam actually fell.

It’s speculation of course, we’re not told so it’s mostly just brain candy.
It was an attempt to do away with the idea of permissive sin by harmonizing Torah with the counts from creation. Permissive sin does not make sense to me as the idea that something that was originally setup to be unavoidable, would later be forbidden. It clashes with the unchanging character of Yah, its like changing the goal posts. The fact that it is sin now, but if the fall had not happened it would not have become sin causes a logical fallacy that I can't reconcile. @FollowingHim Thank you for the logical response, you have pointed out some things I have overlooked

Last edited:
There's nothing wrong with changing the rules over time. The rules I set for my children change over time and in different circumstances, simply because different circumstances actually require different rules - or even because I just decided we'd do something different now, and I have the right to issue new instructions as I'm in charge. For instance, I might set bedtime as 7:30pm, then as a child gets older set bedtime at 9pm.

In this case, the circumstances most certainly changed. The biological reason to not marry siblings is because of mutations - damaged genetic material. Mutations accumulate over time, and we all have mutant genes - but most are not expressed. Let's say you are carrying a damaged gene that will harm eyesight. If you marry a woman who does not carry this gene, some of your children will get the damaged version from you, but all will get a good version from her. All your children will carry a copy of a good version of the gene, and all will have normal eyesight. But if you married your sister, and she also carried the same gene, some of your children will receive two copies of the damaged gene (one from you and one from her), and no good copies. Some of your children will be born blind.

Closely related people are more likely to carry the same mutations, distantly related people carry different ones. So marrying distantly related people results in less birth defects.

Now, Adam and Eve were created perfect - and had perfect genes. Their children would have had almost-perfect genes. There would have been zero actual risk in two siblings marrying at that stage, or for the first thousand years or so.

But as mutations accumulate over time, by the time of Moses it may have become risky to marry close relatives. Hence the rules against marrying sisters being introduced at that point. The situation had changed, and a new law was required.

Yes, the goal posts were moved. But what is the problem with that? In what way is it a logical fallacy? It's just a new rule for a new situation.

Likewise, Adam and Eve were only given plants to eat - but Noah was told he could eat animals. Why? I would assume that the pre-flood environment was better, and it was easier to get nutrition from plants. Post-flood the soil and atmosphere would both have been severely depleted of nutrients (for reasons I could explain but I won't get waylaid), so plant tissue may have been less nutrient dense, meaning that it became necessary for humans to have access to animals as food also. This is an assumption - the Bible does not give a reason - but it shows that it was not necessarily an arbitrary change.

God can change the rules over time, He is God and He can do what He likes. He doesn't change - but his instructions to us may. We cannot limit Him to our own extra-Biblical logic (and your assumption of Torah being given to Adam is extra-Biblical logic).

There's nothing wrong with changing the rules over time. The rules I set for my children change over time and in different circumstances, simply because different circumstances actually require different rules - or even because I just decided we'd do something different now, and I have the right to issue new instructions as I'm in charge. For instance, I might set bedtime as 7:30pm, then as a child gets older set bedtime at 9pm.

In this case, the circumstances most certainly changed. The biological reason to not marry siblings is because of mutations - damaged genetic material. Mutations accumulate over time, and we all have mutant genes - but most are not expressed. Let's say you are carrying a damaged gene that will harm eyesight. If you marry a woman who does not carry this gene, some of your children will get the damaged version from you, but all will get a good version from her. All your children will carry a copy of a good version of the gene, and all will have normal eyesight. But if you married your sister, and she also carried the same gene, some of your children will receive two copies of the damaged gene (one from you and one from her), and no good copies. Some of your children will be born blind.

Closely related people are more likely to carry the same mutations, distantly related people carry different ones. So marrying distantly related people results in less birth defects.

Now, Adam and Eve were created perfect - and had perfect genes. Their children would have had almost-perfect genes. There would have been zero actual risk in two siblings marrying at that stage, or for the first thousand years or so.

But as mutations accumulate over time, by the time of Moses it may have become risky to marry close relatives. Hence the rules against marrying sisters being introduced at that point. The situation had changed, and a new law was required.

Yes, the goal posts were moved. But what is the problem with that? In what way is it a logical fallacy? It's just a new rule for a new situation.

Likewise, Adam and Eve were only given plants to eat - but Noah was told he could eat animals. Why? I would assume that the pre-flood environment was better, and it was easier to get nutrition from plants. Post-flood the soil and atmosphere would both have been severely depleted of nutrients (for reasons I could explain but I won't get waylaid), so plant tissue may have been less nutrient dense, meaning that it became necessary for humans to have access to animals as food also. This is an assumption - the Bible does not give a reason - but it shows that it was not necessarily an arbitrary change.

God can change the rules over time, He is God and He can do what He likes. He doesn't change - but his instructions to us may. We cannot limit Him to our own extra-Biblical logic (and your assumption of Torah being given to Adam is extra-Biblical logic).
I don't disagree with you, Yah can do as he pleases and does not need to provide reasoning for it. However we do not know the reason why the change was made. The reasons you posted above should also be cited as being extra biblical, and while I don't disagree with them the bible does not give a specific reason for the change. Also I did not say Torah was given I said it existed, perhaps while not fully revealed until Sinai, we see much evidence of its precepts being mentioned and even kept pre-sinai. Just as we cannot fully keep Torah now, neither could they. I would say it makes sense as it was not needed in its entirety until the establishing of Israel as a nation, this I would think are more likely to be the reason for any changes. The establishing of a set apart people.

There was also the population bottleneck that occurred with the Flood because everyone then descended from Noah's family. That bottleneck gives a very plausible reason for the reductions in lifespan after the flood. Creation.com have some very good scientific articles that address this issue and explain the need for the laws at the time of Moses.

I don't disagree with you, Yah can do as he pleases and does not need to provide reasoning for it. However we do not know the reason why the change was made. The reasons you posted above should also be cited as being extra biblical, and while I don't disagree with them the bible does not give a specific reason for the change. Also I did not say Torah was given I said it existed, perhaps while not fully revealed until Sinai, we see much evidence of its precepts being mentioned and even kept pre-sinai. Just as we cannot fully keep Torah now, neither could they. I would say it makes sense as it was not needed in its entirety until the establishing of Israel as a nation, this I would think are more likely to be the reason for any changes. The establishing of a set apart people.
We don't need to know the reasons, and although we can speculate from quite an informed perspective, it's still speculation.

What is clear though was that a change occurred (either in the law itself, or the parts of the law that were brought into effect).

Back