• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Can baptism sever a marriage bond?

ChoosingGod

Male
Hi all,

Asking a simple question.

Can a baptism sever (cut, annul, dissolve) a covenant between a man and woman?

Verses that can mean it:
John 3:3-7
Romans 6:3-7
Romans 7:1-3
2 Cor 5:17
Galatians 6:15
Col 2:12, 20
Col 3:3

Verses than can disagree (that I know of):
1 Cor 7:10-15

Please add any other to the lists.
And let’s reason together.

Last edited:
This is some industrial strength Scripture twisting.
You are reading into it what you want it to say.

Please show one instance in the OT where someone is released from a marriage other than from a death or adultery.

This is some industrial strength Scripture twisting.
You are reading into it what you want it to say.

Please show one instance in the OT where someone is released from a marriage other than from a death or adultery.

To my knowledge, even adultery is not a good motive for divorce… it all boils down to what fornication is, and like Christ declared in :

Matt 5:32
Matt 19:9
Mark 10:11-12
Luke 16:18

Otherwise, no. The OT tells clearly that only death separate a covenant. That is exactly the point here.

David knew that Uriah needed to die for Bathsheba to be his wife.

We DIE symbolically when we are baptized.
We become a new born spiritually, and we know that a covenant is annuled when so.

Not the same.
It’s actually a ridiculous attempt.

Now I understand a lot of what you were “hearing” from Yah.

Not the same.
It’s actually a ridiculous attempt.

Now I understand a lot of what you were “hearing” from Yah.
My relation with God the Father is true and my faith is firm. We may not be of the same opinion relating to this topic but please stay respectful and polite.

I don’t understand why you resort to such comments, I forgive you.

Can a baptism sever (cut, annul, dissolve) a covenant between a man and woman?

Verses that can mean it:
John 3:3-7
Romans 6:3-7
Romans 7:1-3
2 Cor 5:17
Galatians 6:15
Col 2:12, 20
Col 3:3
Dare I say it? Yeah, censorship likely awaits. But still,
If you suggest that Yahushua "added to" His own Word (can you see what ALL of those cites have in common?) you are calling Him a liar.

So guess where the error MUST be.

PS> "fornication" is not even a 'thing' in the original Hebrew. Other threads on here have argued that ad nauseum.

@ChoosingGod, you have posted a whole list of references that do not say what you want to think they say. Anyone doing a cursory reading of them will not find any statement that baptism ends a marriage. This list of references is unhelpful, as you do not explain why you think they mean that. Please pick whatever verse you find most strongly persuasive, quote it here in whatever bible version you are using that you find persuasive, and explain why you think it says this.

On the contrary, the references you have given actually contradict your position. For instance, Romans 6:6-7

Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin.
For he that is dead is freed from sin.

Is it a sin to be married? If marriage is sinful, we are freed from it. If marriage is not sinful, it is not changed by baptism.

My relation with God the Father is true and my faith is firm. We may not be of the same opinion relating to this topic but please stay respectful and polite.

I don’t understand why you resort to such comments, I forgive you.
People think that they hear from Yah and many do. But all too often what they hear is not 100% from Him. Sometimes the enemy slips an answer in and they don’t know the difference. Usually because it is what they are looking to hear.
That’s why women have husbands and men have brothers.

When you try to shoehorn things into the Word in this manner, the pattern starts to show.
You need brothers to call bs on your bs. Welcome to the club.

If baptism does sever a marriage bond, then this would render all laws against divorce pointless. Any new man only needs to dunk her in the bath and she's free to marry him. This would override all biblical law and render marriage completely impermanent. Unless you're going to say there's a law somewhere against rebaptism, (which does not exist), a woman can do this as many times in her life as she likes.

2 Corinthians 11:13-15
For such are false apostles, deceitful workers, transforming themselves into the apostles of Christ.
And no marvel; for Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light.
Therefore it is no great thing if his ministers also be transformed as the ministers of righteousness; whose end shall be according to their works.

The words of Satan sound like the words of God. That's how he is able to deceive. The way that we protect against being deceived is by taking it back to the Bible, and asking for the counsel of Godly men.

Where you failed here was that you wanted to believe what he said, so you accepted his twisted way of reading the scripture, and did not seek the counsel of Godly men, probably knowing that they would say you were wrong and not wanting to hear that. This is not a polygamy question, it is one that affects monogamous marriage just as much, so it is a question you could have run by anyone - be that ourselves, respected elders in your local church, any pastor or theologically trained person. There is no excuse for failing to seek Godly counsel on this, and any man you sought Godly counsel from would have put you straight had you done so before acting.

If baptism does sever a marriage bond, then this would render all laws against divorce pointless. Any new man only needs to dunk her in the bath and she's free to marry him. This would override all biblical law and render marriage completely impermanent. Unless you're going to say there's a law somewhere against rebaptism, (which does not exist), a woman can do this as many times in her life as she likes.
We get to be baptized only once.
Of course we have references of the baptism of John the baptist then they were re-baptized. But being baptized in the Lord’s name is only once. In His body, by a man, in His death.
No playing around with that.
Once done correctly, it’s an gross error to do it again and again.

2 Corinthians 11:13-15
For such are false apostles, deceitful workers, transforming themselves into the apostles of Christ.
And no marvel; for Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light.
Therefore it is no great thing if his ministers also be transformed as the ministers of righteousness; whose end shall be according to their works.

The words of Satan sound like the words of God. That's how he is able to deceive. The way that we protect against being deceived is by taking it back to the Bible, and asking for the counsel of Godly men.

Where you failed here was that you wanted to believe what he said, so you accepted his twisted way of reading the scripture, and did not seek the counsel of Godly men, probably knowing that they would say you were wrong and not wanting to hear that. This is not a polygamy question, it is one that affects monogamous marriage just as much, so it is a question you could have run by anyone - be that ourselves, respected elders in your local church, any pastor or theologically trained person. There is no excuse for failing to seek Godly counsel on this, and any man you sought Godly counsel from would have put you straight had you done so before acting.
Please, why not see that when I posted and explained all this, I was very aware that maybe I would be rebuked for this understanding, and that I was seeking counsel? Demonstrating that I want to re-examine things? Please do so.

Thing is, are we able to see from the point of view of others, why and how someone acted? And understand that it is coherent based on his understanding of scripture?

Now the biggest problem I see with « christians » is doctrinal differences.

I know several christians that do not follow torah, like they don’t keep shabbat. But I do. Am I better for it? Not. I just want to do God’s will and I know that I have other points to work. I will tell others that shabbat is important and must be kept, but I understand also that people can have a different understanding, and I will not condemn them for such. We can certainly discern what is good and bad, that is even commanded to justly judge. But to ultimately condemn? No.

If baptism does sever a marriage bond, then this would render all laws against divorce pointless. Any new man only needs to dunk her in the bath and she's free to marry him. This would override all biblical law and render marriage completely impermanent.

This is not the case.
Since being freed from that specific covenant (blood of animals), we are introduced in the covenant of the blood of Christ.

But « death » did occur spiritually in baptism.
This does not invalidate the law, it confirms the law. The woman thus entering a covenant after baptism, will be subjected to the same laws, but in a different covenant.

I am trying to explain best I can.

Once done correctly, it’s a gross error to do it again and again.
You need to prove that.

People fall back into sin, so a recommitment with baptism is gross error?

You are claiming that it is gross error.
Prove it or apologize.
The time for discussion is past, once you made the definitive statement.

It doesn’t appear that you are used to dealing with brothers that take the Word seriously and won’t just let you pull the “God told me” argument.

We get to be baptized only once.
Of course we have references of the baptism of John the baptist then they were re-baptized. But being baptized in the Lord’s name is only once. In His body, by a man, in His death.
No playing around with that.
Once done correctly, it’s an gross error to do it again and again.
This is a simplistic opinion that you have not thought through.

Many people are baptised as infants, then later change denominations, believe in believers baptism, and choose to be re-baptised as an adult to make a personal conscious commitment to God rather than relying on their infant baptism. Is that gross error? It may not have been necessary, but it is certainly not a bad thing.

Others are baptised in their youth, then fall away. Many years later, after decades of sin, they turn back to God and choose to get baptised to signify their turning from their sinful adult life and their return to God. Is that gross error? Again, it may not have been necessary, but it is certainly not a bad thing.

This is however a distraction. The real question is whether baptism severs a marriage bond, and that question is serious even if someone can only be baptised once in their lifetime.

It doesn’t appear that you are used to dealing with brothers that take the Word seriously and won’t just let you pull the “God told me” argument.
I did not use that « argument » like you said. Peace please. I am not above you Steve. If scripture convinces me of my wrong, I can certainly change my mind and repent.

Well do we see anywhere that people got baptized in the covenant of Christ twice or more? No. But we see that being not being baptized in Christ, they got baptized again.

Even Simon when he repented got baptized, wanted to buy for money the Holy Spirit, Peter told him that he must repent of this and pray that God forgive him if possible.
Acts 8:18-23, he was not being suggested to be baptized again for this sin.

Same goes for Ananias and Sephora in Acts 5:1-5, they were not given another baptism.

Ephesians 4:5 says there is but one baptism.

When we enter a covenant, we are bond to it.
And covenant is sealed with blood once for all (Rom 6:10, Heb 7:27, Heb 9:12, Heb 10:10)

When we read the tale of Acts 29:1-5 we see that being baptized of John they got baptized in Christ. Full stop.

I understand that the absence of something is not a proof in itself, but we must cope with all subjects and doctrine, all verses with no contradictions is better than picking verses of course.

Actually, in Hebrew it's called a "mikvah." Women are required to do it every month, and it's specified MANY times in Scripture.
Oh yes I know that, thanks for bringing that.
Mikvah is specific for cleaning impurity after being in niddah for women. I understand that is it a kind of « baptism » because it’s basically an immersion. But it’s not an entering in a covenant per se, like we do with Christ. If you have insight on this, please share.

Back