• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Meat Can women pray or prophesy in the Assembly?

So when father is dead. No other family in the faith? This is a reality for many women in today’s world. So what do they do?
Speaking from my own experience, it takes a clear commitment and strong faith. The Father does not want single women to be headless. If a single woman truly loves the Father, he'll provide. She just has to be open and walking by faith.
It's all theoretical to anyone who has not had to actually walk in it (no offense meant to anyone here giving sound advice).
And, for most single women I've met, it's not really in their hearts to actually have a head, whether he be a godly husband or a godly man she leans on for leadership. They might say all the right things, but their actions shine through sooner or later. They cause and create so many problems within the body.

So when father is dead. No other family in the faith? This is a reality for many women in today’s world. So what do they do?
My point was simply to think more broadly. That's all. I do not claim everyone will have someone suitable, nor would I be legalistic about this whole situation. I am just pointing out that if a woman lacks a husband or father and is looking for a godly man to discuss something with, almost every woman will be able to think of one. Don't miss the word "almost" there, I'm not disputing @JudahYAHites point either, some won't. But most will.

This is the issue when dealing with hypothetical situations, there is an inability to see beyond what we may know, understand or have experienced.
Boilerplate. This is always true in every single situation at every point in history with every single human being, always including the speaker and the speakee -- but what was your point in mentioning this at this particular point? Clearly you believe you know, understand and have experienced things I haven't, but how much of that resides in the realm of your own assumptions?
we are discussing unmarried women [who] need biblical teaching and nurturing that will renew their minds
Amen, but what I read in the main in your overall post this morning is a reframe of the gynocentric orientation: everything is the fault of men; women just stumble into their circumstances and would be angels if it weren't for the evil, hapless, uncaring and foolish men who victimize them. Noting that individual cases do happen like that is always a non sequitur, because it fails to note either that victimization does also occur in the reverse direction -- in this case, men being victimized by evil, hapless, uncaring and foolish women -- or that these are the exceptions that prove the rule. Ultimately, it's a generally-effective tactic to distract from addressing the truth of what is usually the case.

I consider men to have primary responsibility in everything, but that doesn't remove all responsibility from women. Remember the context of my post: a woman asked what does a (presumably godly) woman do in regard to obtaining spiritual information when her father is dead and she has no godly male relatives?:

Well, the facile response is to break out the violins and white knight her, and I knew we could count on those responses to @Hisdaughter (whom, by the way, I've met and consider to be a woman who can hold her own, given the bravery she exhibited at last year's summer retreat). My post was meant to address what is almost always present in the unsaid. Sure, many women have stumbled on their own into The Truth but have absolutely no covering and were just innocent, pure babes who haven't so much as considered uttering a word of ill will in their lives and haven't even contemplated imagining wondering what different equipment men have under all those robes. All those women really need to do is perform the default action of showing up at a church, where they will be smothered with Christian charity and efforts on the part of pastors to pair them with bachelors -- or they can show up here, shed a virtual tear or two, and receive a similar reaction. That, though, I strongly believe, is not what @Hisdaughter intended with her question, because I contend she wasn't just looking for either a pat answer or an exposition on how, yet again, women are just damsels in distress.

They are the weaker vessel, but that doesn't make them powerless. They have power based on whatever degree of agency or free will one understands human beings in general and women in particular to have been granted by our Creator. As such, given that I'm oriented toward unearthing untrod ground toward creating transcendent life and spiritual transformation, I looked outside the box that fails to see that women, in a similar way to men, actually generally have untapped personal power that can be harnessed, in pursuit of charting new courses that won't repeat past mistakes but also won't keep them stuck believing they're entirely impotent, by reviewing how they have shot themselves in the foot in the past.
Let's remember we are discussing

1 Corinthians 14:34-35 KJV — Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience, as also saith the law. And if they will learn any thing, let them ask their husbands at home: for it is a shame for women to speak in the church.

So we are dealing with the teaching within the church assembly fellowship ekklesia wherein this woman has questions.
I didn't take @Hisdaughter's question to be entirely constrained by the structure of the OP, but neither did I forget that this was the topic. Please tell me you're not suggesting that she's just supposed to keep her trap shut every time she's among a gathering of two or more in His Name, right?

But, if so, and she wants to learn, and when she goes home there is no husband, no father and no godly male relatives, are you suggesting that Paul was asserting that a woman in such circumstances just accept ignorance as a permanent condition? [I Corinthians 14:38: "Now if anyone is ignorant, let him be ignorant!" CLNT]

I must acknowledge that I left out this part of my thought process in my previous post, because what I've just described is what went through my head before I began writing. She's at the ekklesia and can't speak because she's a woman and has no husband. She has no one to question at home. So, hello, what's the most obvious solution to this problem of being in a spiritual-knowledge doom loop, especially given the actual context of I Corinthians, which would entirely preclude her having any access to written Scripture (being just slightly prior to Gutenberg)?: Get a husband! Then she'd have someone she could query. But needing to get a husband means she either has never had one or had one and lost him. I refuse to live in fairy tales, so in the real world, other than in the event of being a widow (which wasn't stipulated in the question but could certainly be the case), it's almost inescapable that there are reasons over which the woman has agency that are responsible for why she doesn't have a husband. Ergo, becoming self-aware enough to identify those reasons in order to be able to work around them, because enlightenment dies in ignorance.

Also, anchored to the real world, it's not rocket science for women to obtain a husband; that's pretty much a matter of saying yes to a man's flirtation. No woman is involuntarily either celibate or unmarried; any woman who isn't married is guilty of having too-high standards and/or too-high expectations. In the context of this discussion, the window is narrowed down significantly by what I assumed went along with the question: that, if the solution is marriage, the relationship needs to be scriptural and the man needs to be godly, but, again, if any woman can't find a godly man, then either her standards or her expectations are too high -- and that requires her to either lower those standards/expectations or increase her own value through introspection and correction. If a woman is wide open to polygyny, all that is necessary is to just digitally bat her eyelashes, and the vultures will descend to give her a good look, but even here amongst this presumably more-pious-than-average crowd, those men will still be discerning (more often than not excessively picky, in fact), so they'll be judging, doing cost/benefit analyses and thus hunting for flaws. Again, if a woman has flaws, it's best for her to know what they are. Then she can (a) correct them, (b) be virtuously transparent about them, or (c) determine that learning more about the goings-on at ekklesias ain't worth the trouble.

Lastly, my reference to the printing press wasn't entirely facetious, because it's the case that perhaps a great deal of Scripture should be considered to be valid within the context of the times in which it was spoken or written. Forget about Gutenberg; how about DARPA's Internet? Can we deny that what we're doing right here at biblicalfamilies.org is ekklesia? I don't see how we can see it otherwise, so if we're really going to be sticklers about enforcing I Corinthians 14 in modern times, then I perceive only two realistic answers to her question:
  • "Shut up, woman! Don't you know it's shameful for a woman to speak in the ekklesia? Put your hat on and busy yourself with designing prairie dresses that stay just this side of being provocatively showy if you don't want to risk eternal conscious torment." or . . .
  • "Well, duh, I guess you would just break the rule like you just did. Say hello to Charles Manson in Hell when you get there." or, I guess there really is a third, which is . . .
  • "Confess your sin of speaking in an ekklesia, then go out and perform some compensatory good works (or make donations to the church of your choice), and sin no more."
My post, though, was intended in the spirit of providing an answer that would bridge both worlds, the one in which Paul spoke and the one in which we live these days.

Boilerplate. This is always true in every single situation at every point in history with every single human being, always including the speaker and the speakee -- but what was your point in mentioning this at this particular point? Clearly you believe you know, understand and have experienced things I haven't, but how much of that resides in the realm of your own assumptions?
I do not know what boilerplate means or if it is meant to mean or imply something so if that is an american colloquialism you lost me at the first word, remember we in the UK are more accustomed to thee thy and thou lol

My experience through life has been travel, work and ministry. I received a rude awakening once I entered my 30's and started a job that really showed me how much of a cushy life I had and how naive I truly was to life. So no assumptions are being made on my part.

I am just keenly aware that we all live in bubbles within bubbles no matter how true we think the news is and the information we are fed, the experience of life we have can be so much different to someone who is just a mile down the road let alone in a different country and culture.

Amen, but what I read in the main in your overall post this morning is a reframe of the gynocentric orientation: everything is the fault of men; women just stumble into their circumstances and would be angels if it weren't for the evil, hapless, uncaring and foolish men who victimize them. Noting that individual cases do happen like that is always a non sequitur, because it fails to note either that victimization does also occur in the reverse direction -- in this case, men being victimized by evil, hapless, uncaring and foolish women -- or that these are the exceptions that prove the rule. Ultimately, it's a generally-effective tactic to distract from addressing the truth of what is usually the case.

I consider men to have primary responsibility in everything, but that doesn't remove all responsibility from women. Remember the context of my post: a woman asked what does a (presumably godly) woman do in regard to obtaining spiritual information when her father is dead and she has no godly male relatives?:

In part you are correct on my viewpoint.

So I will clarify...

I believe man is ultimately responsible for everything, isn't that why Christ/MessiYAH came?

Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned: — Romans 5:12 KJV​

When the woman was deceived there was no real issue until the man sinned. Think about it like this, if Adam had not sinned and instead had rebuked corrected and interceded for his ishshah with the most high, how would things have been then?

Remember, YAH came looking for the man NOT the woman!

Let's look at the creation of woman, she was created for a man who was the image and glory of YAH God. So, if a man is NOT living walking being the image and glory of YAH God then how can a woman fulfill the purpose that YAH created her for?

If we as men do not take full responsibility for OUR women then we will always be looking for an opportunity to assign blame or shift responsibility to women.

A woman does not affect my actions, if she does something wrong it is HER wrong, however it is MY responsibility to love her by correcting her with a view to make her perfect, because as my coheir she, they, have to make it into the kingdom with me, simple. So my view in this life with all the women YAH gifts me is the eternal kingdom.

Whether you or anyone agrees or not is neither here nor there.

When I take full authority over a woman I also take full responsibility for the good and bad, that is what Christ does for us, so what I am saying and doing is nothing new.

Well, the facile response is to break out the violins and white knight her, and I knew we could count on those responses to @Hisdaughter (whom, by the way, I've met and consider to be a woman who can hold her own, given the bravery she exhibited at last year's summer retreat). My post was meant to address what is almost always present in the unsaid. Sure, many women have stumbled on their own into The Truth but have absolutely no covering and were just innocent, pure babes who haven't so much as considered uttering a word of ill will in their lives and haven't even contemplated imagining wondering what different equipment men have under all those robes.
ALL have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God

All those women really need to do is perform the default action of showing up at a church, where they will be smothered with Christian charity and efforts on the part of pastors to pair them with bachelors -- or they can show up here, shed a virtual tear or two, and receive a similar reaction. That, though, I strongly believe, is not what @Hisdaughter intended with her question, because I contend she wasn't just looking for either a pat answer or an exposition on how, yet again, women are just damsels in distress.

They are the weaker vessel, but that doesn't make them powerless. They have power based on whatever degree of agency or free will one understands human beings in general and women in particular to have been granted by our Creator. As such, given that I'm oriented toward unearthing untrod ground toward creating transcendent life and spiritual transformation, I looked outside the box that fails to see that women, in a similar way to men, actually generally have untapped personal power that can be harnessed, in pursuit of charting new courses that won't repeat past mistakes but also won't keep them stuck believing they're entirely impotent, by reviewing how they have shot themselves in the foot in the past.

I didn't take @Hisdaughter's question to be entirely constrained by the structure of the OP, but neither did I forget that this was the topic. Please tell me you're not suggesting that she's just supposed to keep her trap shut every time she's among a gathering of two or more in His Name, right?

But, if so, and she wants to learn, and when she goes home there is no husband, no father and no godly male relatives, are you suggesting that Paul was asserting that a woman in such circumstances just accept ignorance as a permanent condition? [I Corinthians 14:38: "Now if anyone is ignorant, let him be ignorant!" CLNT]
I actually shared what I / we do.

I must acknowledge that I left out this part of my thought process in my previous post, because what I've just described is what went through my head before I began writing. She's at the ekklesia and can't speak because she's a woman and has no husband. She has no one to question at home. So, hello, what's the most obvious solution to this problem of being in a spiritual-knowledge doom loop, especially given the actual context of I Corinthians, which would entirely preclude her having any access to written Scripture (being just slightly prior to Gutenberg)?: Get a husband! Then she'd have someone she could query. But needing to get a husband means she either has never had one or had one and lost him. I refuse to live in fairy tales, so in the real world, other than in the event of being a widow (which wasn't stipulated in the question but could certainly be the case), it's almost inescapable that there are reasons over which the woman has agency that are responsible for why she doesn't have a husband. Ergo, becoming self-aware enough to identify those reasons in order to be able to work around them, because enlightenment dies in ignorance.
Get a husband, well as we write things down things are real easy and happen very quickly, however, the moving parts that make up real life causes many things to move a little bit slower, so though I do agree with the solution which I advocate promote teach etc, it's not just about matching a vagina to a penis.

Also, anchored to the real world, it's not rocket science for women to obtain a husband; that's pretty much a matter of saying yes to a man's flirtation. No woman is involuntarily either celibate or unmarried; any woman who isn't married is guilty of having too-high standards and/or too-high expectations. In the context of this discussion, the window is narrowed down significantly by what I assumed went along with the question: that, if the solution is marriage, the relationship needs to be scriptural and the man needs to be godly, but, again, if any woman can't find a godly man, then either her standards or her expectations are too high -- and that requires her to either lower those standards/expectations or increase her own value through introspection and correction. If a woman is wide open to polygyny, all that is necessary is to just digitally bat her eyelashes, and the vultures will descend to give her a good look, but even here amongst this presumably more-pious-than-average crowd, those men will still be discerning (more often than not excessively picky, in fact), so they'll be judging, doing cost/benefit analyses and thus hunting for flaws. Again, if a woman has flaws, it's best for her to know what they are. Then she can (a) correct them, (b) be virtuously transparent about them, or (c) determine that learning more about the goings-on at ekklesias ain't worth the trouble.
Lol some funny but accurate descriptive points, which has prompted me to ask a question that I have been mulling over to ask on here.

Lastly, my reference to the printing press wasn't entirely facetious, because it's the case that perhaps a great deal of Scripture should be considered to be valid within the context of the times in which it was spoken or written. Forget about Gutenberg; how about DARPA's Internet? Can we deny that what we're doing right here at biblicalfamilies.org is ekklesia?
Yes......

I don't see how we can see it otherwise, so if we're really going to be sticklers about enforcing I Corinthians 14 in modern times, then I perceive only two realistic answers to her question:
  • "Shut up, woman! Don't you know it's shameful for a woman to speak in the ekklesia? Put your hat on and busy yourself with designing prairie dresses that stay just this side of being provocatively showy if you don't want to risk eternal conscious torment." or . . .
  • "Well, duh, I guess you would just break the rule like you just did. Say hello to Charles Manson in Hell when you get there." or, I guess there really is a third, which is . . .
  • "Confess your sin of speaking in an ekklesia, then go out and perform some compensatory good works (or make donations to the church of your choice), and sin no more."
My post, though, was intended in the spirit of providing an answer that would bridge both worlds, the one in which Paul spoke and the one in which we live these days.
I understand where you are coming from.

In part you are correct on my viewpoint.

So I will clarify...

I believe man is ultimately responsible for everything, isn't that why Christ/MessiYAH came?

Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned: — Romans 5:12 KJV​
When the woman was deceived there was no real issue until the man sinned. Think about it like this, if Adam had not sinned and instead had rebuked corrected and interceded for his ishshah with the most high, how would things have been then?

Remember, YAH came looking for the man NOT the woman!

Let's look at the creation of woman, she was created for a man who was the image and glory of YAH God. So, if a man is NOT living walking being the image and glory of YAH God then how can a woman fulfill the purpose that YAH created her for?

If we as men do not take full responsibility for OUR women then we will always be looking for an opportunity to assign blame or shift responsibility to women.

A woman does not affect my actions, if she does something wrong it is HER wrong, however it is MY responsibility to love her by correcting her with a view to make her perfect, because as my coheir she, they, have to make it into the kingdom with me, simple. So my view in this life with all the women YAH gifts me is the eternal kingdom.

Whether you or anyone agrees or not is neither here nor there.

When I take full authority over a woman I also take full responsibility for the good and bad, that is what Christ does for us, so what I am saying and doing is nothing new.
Loved what you wrote about whether I or anyone else agrees is neither here nor there, but I don't think I could find a thing to disagree with in what you've written that I've quoted above.

However, in this particular part of this thread, I'm only addressing a woman's question about what a woman is supposed to do if she wants to learn from her ekklesia but isn't permitted to speak and has no male relative to pose her questions for her. I agree that we're responsible for our women -- 100% responsible -- but what does the woman who has no man considered to be responsible do when she wants to engage about her beliefs and study of Scripture?
ALL have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God
Agreed, but it's not a contest. What would you advise a woman to do if she wants to learn from Scripture if she has no man in the ekklesia? It doesn't matter if every man in the ekklesia is a sinner if none of them are taking responsibility for her.
Get a husband, well as we write things down things are real easy and happen very quickly, however, the moving parts that make up real life causes many things to move a little bit slower, so though I do agree with the solution which I advocate promote teach etc, it's not just about matching a vagina to a penis.
Straw man, non-sequitur, because I didn't assert that it was just about matching genitals -- or that getting a husband was "real easy" or "happens very quickly." Quite the contrary. I'm suggesting that it will be a difficult proposition for most uncovered women, which is why I advised self-reflection, not to determine sinfulness but to determine how those women can most effectively remove their reproach (which, by the way, indicates not so much a shamefulness but an undesirable position to be in).

What do you advise such women to do?
Lol some funny but accurate descriptive points, which has prompted me to ask a question that I have been mulling over to ask on here.
What's the question?
I understand where you are coming from.
Thank you. My impression is that you and I don't agree on all scriptural particulars but that you and I generally see things through similar lenses.

I look forward to your next responses!

Loved what you wrote about whether I or anyone else agrees is neither here nor there, but I don't think I could find a thing to disagree with in what you've written that I've quoted above.
Cool

However, in this particular part of this thread, I'm only addressing a woman's question about what a woman is supposed to do if she wants to learn from her ekklesia but isn't permitted to speak and has no male relative to pose her questions for her. I agree that we're responsible for our women -- 100% responsible -- but what does the woman who has no man considered to be responsible do when she wants to engage about her beliefs and study of Scripture?
I think I covered that on in my first response on this thread.
There should also be mature Godly women or at least one mature Godly woman who can take her under her wing.

Agreed, but it's not a contest.
I think you may have misunderstood why I wrote that all have sinned.
I was simply stating that everyone has sinned before coming to faith

What would you advise a woman to do if she wants to learn from Scripture if she has no man in the ekklesia? It doesn't matter if every man in the ekklesia is a sinner if none of them are taking responsibility for her.
Answered above

Straw man, non-sequitur, because I didn't assert that it was just about matching genitals -- or that getting a husband was "real easy" or "happens very quickly." Quite the contrary. I'm suggesting that it will be a difficult proposition for most uncovered women, which is why I advised self-reflection, not to determine sinfulness but to determine how those women can most effectively remove their reproach (which, by the way, indicates not so much a shamefulness but an undesirable position to be in).
I actually agree with your statement except maybe for the part where you mention shamefulness, I would put shamefacedness (which is a good thing to study for women) as a requirement to also think about within the "creation ideal" (that was for @The Revolting Man lol) that women are created for.

What do you advise such women to do?
See above

What's the question?
Thread 'Obligatory Polygyny' https://biblicalfamilies.org/forum/threads/obligatory-polygyny.16977/

Thank you. My impression is that you and I don't agree on all scriptural particulars but that you and I generally see things through similar lenses.

I look forward to your next responses!
I agree, I enjoy our dialogues, if we agreed on everything there would be nothing to learn and no different perspective to see things from.

There is nothing wrong in crossing swords and jousting, as long as there is no hidden agenda or ill will wherein one is looking for an opportunity to thrust their sword through the other, and I have perceived nothing like that from yourself in our interactions and can assure you there is nothing like that from myself so everything is blessed.

I think I covered that on in my first response on this thread.
There should also be mature Godly women or at least one mature Godly woman who can take her under her wing.
In the context of being required to only consider the issue of praying or prophesying or speaking in the ekklesia, compounded by cubbyholing it within Sola Scriptura, I agree with this 100%.

Given that I can't compartmentalize like that without seeing the Bigger Picture, though, I remain convinced that the proper comprehensive answer is to do what needs to be done to get a husband.

But hear me clearly: I agree with you that yours is the correct answer within this particular isolated context.
I actually agree with your statement except maybe for the part where you mention shamefulness, I would put shamefacedness (which is a good thing to study for women) as a requirement to also think about within the "creation ideal" (that was for @The Revolting Man lol) that women are created for.
Agreed.
See my response there.
I agree, I enjoy our dialogues, if we agreed on everything there would be nothing to learn and no different perspective to see things from.
Ditto.

Who do single women and widows ask?
We actually know someone who is over 60 and what she did was place herself under a brother in Messiah to be her head, so even though she is NOT married to him she is covered by him, therefore she has someone to ask.

@Edward, if that is truly how you believe a man, a Godly man should act toward another man's wife, then I rebuke you. You are wrong. Do us all a favor and if we ever do meet, never speak to my wife. Not even hello.
You misunderstand me, I don't think a godly man should just go around rebuking other men's wives, it's inappropriate and out of line, the example I gave above was an extremely rare occurrence and as a matter of fact, that is the first time I have ever did that or been in a situation like that.

Let me see if I can explain it a lot easier. A group of us men are discussing some Biblical subjects and when we would ask the one man questions, his wife would interrupt and answer for him. This went on for quite some time, she would not let him speak, period. Right or wrong, I make no apologies, I had enough, and all of us were getting tired of her interrupting and he obviously was whipped and was not putting a stop to it, so I did. And to be quite honest, I believe and I could be wrong, if you were in the same situation you probably would have spoken up. I will give you this, I probably could have said to the man, in front of his wife, can you please have your wife remain quiet or leave, so us men can talk? And leave it at that, however, I didn't.

Back