• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Challenge: Write an opening statement for a Christian polygamy debate.

NeoPatriarch

Real Person
Male
Under the category: If you build it they will come.

I was considering doing this as an exercise for myself, but I would be very interested in reading what you might write.

Pick a premise. Write an opening statement. Share the result in this thread. Iron sharpens iron.

Opening statements on the debates I watch about other topics tend to run about 20 minutes. That should be about ten double-spaced pages. (Your mileage may very, do timed rehearsals should you actually give your opening statement live. I give people extra points if they end close to the timer without going over.)

You can make your own premise. The narrower the better, but here are some suggestions:
  • Polygamy is not a sin.
  • Polygamy is not adultery.
  • There is no monogamy mandate in the Bible.

Now that I am writing this challenge, I think we need to create a debate club. We can challenge each other to mock debates on zoom and then shop around for opportunities to flex online. Does that sound nerd cool or what?

I guess we need to see how this challenge works out, but let me know what you think about either the challenge, the club, or how much you are looking forward to reading these results.

C. Looking forward to reading the results.

Note: Premises need to be expressed positively. So the premise should be "Polygamy is a sin." and then you take the con position. In such a case you should plan to go second, as generally, that is the order. First the proposition in favor of the premise, then the con against. Though, in less formal debates this may not always happen this way.

Note: Premises need to be expressed positively. So the premise should be "Polygamy is a sin." and then you take the con position. In such a case you should plan to go second, as generally, that is the order. First the proposition in favor of the premise, then the con against. Though, in less formal debates this may not always happen this way.

I like your "polygamy is a sin" statement. The burden of proof should be that.

We shouldn't have to prove that "polygamy is wonderful" or anything, just undermine the affirmative statement that "polygamy is a sin".

I'll write an opening statement. What's the length of time? Five or ten minutes?

Reactions: EWP
I'll write an opening statement. What's the length of time? Five or ten minutes?
I suggested 20 minutes. You do what you feel.

I wrote till 3pm last night and got to page 3. I'm aiming for 10. This is a bigger project, than it might first appear.

Remember, you're just laying the groundwork for the debate. Frame the issues, define words, and try to set goals for both you and your opponent.

While, I don't agree with James White on much. He is a master debater. It might be worth watching what he does with his opening statement.

Thanks for playing.

While, I don't agree with James White on much. He is a master debater. It might be worth watching what he does with his opening statement.

Thanks for playing.

"Master Debater" doesn't sound very good. I prefer the phrase "Skilled Debater". :)

I'd like to write up a proper response to your question, and know it would be a valuable exercise for me,.and might provide others with a bit of insight. I also know it will take me hours to do so. I can't do it right now, but intend to soon.

I was considering doing this as an exercise for myself, but I would be very interested in reading what you might write.

Pick a premise. Write an opening statement. Share the result in this thread. Iron sharpens iron.

Opening statements on the debates I watch about other topics tend to run about 20 minutes. That should be about ten double-spaced pages. (Your mileage may very, do timed rehearsals should you actually give your opening statement live. I give people extra points if they end close to the timer without going over.)

You can make your own premise. The narrower the better, but here are some suggestions:
  • Polygamy is not a sin.

Now that I am writing this challenge, I think we need to create a debate club. We can challenge each other to mock debates on zoom and then shop around for opportunities to flex online. Does that sound nerd cool or what?

I guess we need to see how this challenge works out, but let me know what you think about either the challenge, the club, or how much you are looking forward to reading these results.
I would just say if God's design never included divorce and fornication, polygyny would be prevalent all over the world by default.
We are supposed to be one with Christ, and we are many.
Same relationship should be scalable in family body, the man as head and help mates as body. Today it's more about a fake serial monogamy mandate, especially in church pop church.

I would just say if God's design never included divorce and fornication,
I don’t see it as part of His design, just that it isn’t completely avoidable due to the design (free will) that He chose to go with.

• Polygamy is not a sin.

Try topic: polygyny as civilizational basis

Back