• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Challenging the challengers.

frederick

Seasoned Member
Real Person
Male
It's been on my mind for a while that we sometimes find ourselves on the back foot trying to defend the truth of polygyny. People will ask questions, appealing to emotion, tradition, and misguided understandings of the Bible in an effort to prove their point that polygyny is sinful. Sometimes those asking the questions seem to come across as accusative rather than with a genuine desire to engage in civil discussion. So, I've been wondering if there might be ways to confront the askers and get them to think rather than just addressing the issue they raise(?)

A situation came up recently while I was reading the Bible to the maids. One asked about the teaching of the RCC saying polygyny is a sin. Rather than get into a long and drawn-out answer, I simply asked, "You tell me; was Jesus lying or was Paul teaching error?" This simple question seemed to stop them in their tracks, so I'm wondering if anyone else has used this approach? The way the maid asked the question seemed to be genuine, but my answer was obviously different from what was expected and left a stunned silence.

I let the silence linger until there was perhaps a little embarrassment, and then read Matthew 8:11 emphasizing Jesus' words that Abraham and Jacob would be in the kingdom of heaven. I then read 1 Corinthians 6:9-10 and emphasized that fornicators and adulterers would not be in the kingdom. I asked, "Did Abraham and Jacob have more than one wife?" "Yes" was the immediate reply. "And will they be in God's kingdom?" "Yes" again. "So, having more than one wife cannot be fornication or adultery, can it?" "No!" We concluded the discussion agreeing the RCC cannot be correct in what is taught regarding a man having more than one wife.

I'm interested to know if anyone has had situations like this? Have you been able to challenge a person with similar pointed questions? I look forward to feedback.

Back