• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Cheap Sex and the Decline of Marriage

Can't read it. Bummer, but WSJ typically requires a subscription for their articles.

Read the first part, but subscription required...:(

Read enough to know its true. Young men nowadays just want to be stupid, not responsible. That includes sex.

But it's not just men and their responsibility. You can't have easy sex without having easy women. Especially because we live in a monogamous society, women are being taught that the only way to compete in the relationship market is to be available. 80% of the women are fighting over the top 20% of men. How do they do that? Sex.

We don't know the whole article. I'd say that if this guy can pull this off, he either has Game level Expert and/or is very attractive. I'd lean more towards having good Game since he talks about misleading women and treating them badly. He's projecting Abundance Mentality and Outcome Independence which has proven to be very attractive to women. This guy is known as Chad. He has a last name but I'll keep that on the DL here. When bored housewives cheat on their boring husbands who have done nothing wrong other than be boring, this is the guy she does it with. This is the guy she'll let do things to her that her Beta Buck husband has been begging for but adamantly refused.

Besides, men today are growing up and seeing absolutely no reason to get married. It's too risky to lose everything thru divorce and they can have their needs met without it. This guy sees marriage as this "idea" that it's how it's supposed to be but at the same time you can see he views it as a kind of death sentence. I'm assuming, based on the title, that the article is going to depict cheap sex as a cause for declining marriage or they are both caused by some failing of men, en masse. The reality is that modern marriage has failed, cheap sex is the outcome and men are checking out asking, "what's the point?"

I hear ya on the women, but I don't want us to fall into the trap of blaming the women, either.

"Delilah made me do it because she was strutting her stuff" is no excuse. Responsible men will act responsibly no matter what the temptation ( see Joseph).

Agreed. We, as men, need to be honorable, and for the most part, we are. Especially here at BF, along with an enormous group of honorable women. However, it still irks me more than a little to see any article that comes up about how much men have failed with little to no commentary on the failures of women in the same context. It's not so much about blaming women, or shifting the focus off men. It's about spreading that blame evenly. In general, overall, secular and christian alike, the tendency is for both men and women to blame men, the men accept it and then it stops there. It can't stop there.

Really, "blaming" isn't even the right word. you had it right the first time, "responsibility". We like to say that men have the authority and the responsibility. Though women, in the biblical sense, may not have the authority, they do have their own responsibility. So, I guess in the end, it's not about getting into a trap of blaming anyone. It's about moving past the men having accepted responsibility and now it's time for the women to do likewise*.

* again I am talking about an article about marriage in the secular arena and the men and women who are not bothered by our religious scruples.

I didn’t take the article to be ‘blaming’ men, but rather pointing out that easy sex has resulted in the decline of marriage. Without easy women, easy sex is not there (minus rape). I have a subscription to WSJ, but I read that on a device that I’ve never logged into the WSJ on before. Had hoped everyone would be able to read it. Let me see today if I can print it to PDF.

but rather pointing out that easy sex has resulted in the decline of marriage.
Well, without reading the whole article (and i appreciate you going to the effort of printing to pdf and will read it fully if you can), i think this is where we are agreeing to disagree. Easy sex has always been available. Even before the 60's/70's free love movement, before birth control, if a guy wanted it, it was there to have. It may not have been as 'in your face' or considered acceptable as it is now, but it was there. "Thelyphthora" discusses this and was written/published in 1780.

I don't believe that easy sex is the cause of decline in marriage. i think that the failure of modern marriage to engage and fulfill the husband is what makes easy sex, easier. As a man with a relatively high labito, i can atest that if i was fulfilled at home, there would be no temptation outside of it. When the thing between then-president Clinton and Monica happened, there was an old saying made popular again, "If Hillary had been taking care of business, Monica would have been out of business."

Let me see today if I can print it to PDF.

Well, I cannot do it from the road on my iPad. I’ll have to do it when I get back to a proper computer.

Thanks to @mystic I was able to get a PDF on my iPad.

Attachments

• wsj - printing cheap sex and the decline of marriage.pdf
    59.2 KB · Views: 12
It doesn't appear to be complete, though it is more then they let you read without subscribing.

We have a WSJ subscription...

Thanks for the heads up on the article Friend....

Some great points that I love to see other people make (besides myself)

Like-mindedness is a great thing, if it is thinking like His mind does, and not our own! :)

All I could think is:

I'm sure He sees these same points, on us willfully degrading our lives, and weeps!

Back