• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Concubines... just a bit of mental jousting.

captainjonathan

Real Person
We all know, by faith in God's Word that Polygamy has God's blessing and in fact command. There are also many examples in the Bible about concubines. So why not have those?

I have also read/ heard that the phrase "adultery" in the Bible refers to a woman (married female) having sex with someone who is not her husband and to a man having sex with another man's wife. (redundant I know)

When you combine these two, does it mean that a married man sleeping with a single (never married) female is not a sin?

(again, I believe in the "stay as far from the edge of the cliff as possible" mentality so I WILL NOT be sleeping around)

Re: Concubines... just a bit fo mental jousting.

Not sure, but I think in the case of a King, those were women that were joined to the King but just didn't meet the qualifications for marriage, perhaps not royal enough. Still it was a lifetime arrangement, and the man had responsibilities for her care and well being.

Paul said to avoid fornication (sex among unmarried) you should marry. So I think having sex while unmarried, provided the women isn't another mans wife, would be the sin of fornication.

Checking the laws, you will find that sleeping with an unmarried woman, at least a virgin, creates the obligation TO marry her.

It isn't a sin in the "death by stoning" class. It does, however, not only create the obligation to marry her but removes the right to ever divorce her -- at least over the normal reasons for doing so. Some folks might consider that a worse punishment! ;)

So ... inadvisable.

Concubines are a different story. Biblically, it is clear that they ARE wives and in covenant with their husbands. There seems to be a bunch of discussion and dispute over what the exact distinction is, however. Seems best to just treat each lady as a treasured wife and let it go at that.

Sleeping with a single female, sin or not, has ZERO interest for me.

My question is, why would you want to do such a thing?

If I am going to have sexual relations with a woman, it will be the completion of courting and the beginning of our lifetime intimate journey.

Why would I want to give my love to a woman I am not 100% committed to? No reason is sufficient.

Why would I want to possibly father a child with a woman who might leave me and I will not be involved with that child? Or she might even abort it! I would hate myself forever if that happened.

Is my intimacy worth so little that I will give it to an unconnected woman merely to satisfy some lust? Forget it. Not interested.

ylop

Re: Concubines... more than jousting. Sounds like a plan.

I had recently read some papers on Polygamy and one had some interesting material on Concubines. It was a paper simply called "Polygamy" by Blaine Robison, M.A. I picked it up from a link somewhere a day or two ago and I thought it was here on BF, but I can't find it. I'll post a link at the bottom. Before starting a new thread, I thought I’d search for one already and this seemed to be the most recent and relevant considering how I’m still "jousting" with the idea.

From what I have researched so far, there are only two reasons to have a concubine:
  • 1) Provide a source of children, and
    2) Meet the "needs" of the husband.
I see both of these in my situation.

Preemptive Disclaimer
I love my wife dearly. I truly do and would do anything for her. Even deny myself the right/allowance of another wife or concubine until she (or I, in the event I am wrong) reached full understanding as guided by the Holy Spirit.

Support for Reason 1
God has already granted me three great kids thru my wife and I’ve always felt the desire to have many more. Unfortunately, all three of her successful pregnancies were pretty hard on her. She hated the way she felt, she hated the fact she gained so much weight, she hated darn near everything about being pregnant and each delivery was a huge pain (pun intended and, yet, very literal). All three ran long and deliveries had to be scheduled. The first born was after 27 hours of labor. The last delivery itself was very scary for her because she had an allergic reaction to some medication given to her halfway thru which caused her heart to slow and her blood pressure to drop into the low double digits. They were able to pump some adrenaline in and get her back pretty quick, but it was…. Sometimes I still don’t fully grasp that I almost lost her that day. Before she even delivered, during the first trimester of the last pregnancy, we discussed (and she decided) that she was getting fixed (or what I call “brokenized”). The day after “3 of 3” was born, she had her tubes cut, cauterized and tied off. Done. No more kids. End of the family expansion took less than an hour.

Support for Reason 2
I am a very sexual person. I love to give pleasure more than I want to receive (by a narrow margin admittedly). In fact I prefer to make sure she gets hers (and as many times as she’ll let me) before I get mine. Before “1 of 3” arrived, she was a 4 on a 0-5 scale. After “1 of 3”, she dropped to a 1. It was uncomfortable, she didn’t enjoy it and her evaporated libido couldn't drive her enough to even try to find out why. Only thru my incessant insisting did she ever mention the issue, in passing, to her doctor. She just kept maintaining that the doctors can’t find anything wrong, so this is the way it’s going to be. It’s difficult to not feel guilty for enjoying marital congress when your partner keeps “ow-ing” or finally says, “you need to hurry; it’s starting to hurt”. If congress isn’t ready for a final vote by that time, we simply adjourn and table the discussion for a later date. Then she feels guilty that she can’t perform. No matter how much she still tries (we did have 2 more kids), she is doing it out of duty. I know it and she knows I know it. She feels bad that she can’t give me what I want and I don’t want to hurt her.

The Final Monologue
Do I have to have a wife to have children or get my needs met? No. Does my wife need to suffer the constant pressure of meeting my needs or the actual pain of doing so when she gives in? No. When she’s actually in the mood and wants to, I’m there… with bells and funny hat if she wants. But during those days, weeks or (God forbid) months between when she’s not, that’s what a concubine is for. Could this concubine eventually become a wife? Sure. If, after a time, I actually feel true love for her and my wife has come to accept her as part of the family, I see no reason NOT to do so. I do acknowledge the biblical near-wife (or rather ‘secondary wife’ as some translations put it) status of a concubine, but I am using the separate terms intentionally and to further relate their seperate purposes and positions in the home.

Before anyone asks, “Why would any woman willingly put themselves in that position in today’s day and age? Where would you find such a woman? What’s in it for her?” It doesn’t matter. First things first. If there isn’t going to be a concubine, who cares what’s in it for her, she won’t exist.

OK, Group, let me have it. :D

Paper referenced above: Polygamy by Blaine Robison, M.A., last updated 2/17/2013

Your desire for a concubine appears to be a sexual band-aid over a damaged marriage.

Spend some more time on the causes of the bleeding.

Because a casual relationship that you label as a 'concubine' is not going to help things.

And re-read my previous post on the topic.

What will you do with any children from your 'concubine'?

If you answer take care of them, then why not take the new woman as a wife?

Go and speak to her father and establish an honorable relationship.

ylop

Concubines... AKA: Plan B

As Cecil inferred above, there seems to be different interpretations on what a concubine is and what their purpose and station is in the family.

The Dictionary of Bible Themes defines a Concubine as:
A woman, often a servant or slave, with whom a man had regular sexual relations, but to whom he was not married. A concubine did not have the rights of a wife and her children were not rightful heirs, though a wife might offer a servant to her husband as a concubine to have children on her behalf.
Rachel and Leah are great examples of that last part as they each rejoiced for the offspring their handmaidens provided for them as if they were from their own womb. Genesis 30:3-6 ; Genesis 30:9-11

There are references to a concubine in congress with the husband as being referred to as a wife and the man as the husband, but the original designation/station did not change. Example: Genesis 16:3,6 Even after being called “as his wife” and becoming pregnant, she was still Sarai’s servant/slave-girl.

Captain Jonathon does ask a valid question, but then, I think, muddies the water by bringing in sleeping with an unmarried woman as if it would be a regular thing. That would be fornication as RGK said. To prevent fornication, we should get married. 1 Corinthians 7:2 (used KJV since NIV doesn't say "fornication")

Tndreamergal made two points that should be addressed also:
...I think in the case of a King, those were women that were joined to the King but just didn't meet the qualifications for marriage, perhaps not royal enough.
Royalty has no basis for consideration. In fact, the one time that royalty was used as a basis for marriage led to his fall (Solomon). For other kings, like David, it does not specify if they were royalty or not (2 Sam 5:13). Since it did not, we cannot assume it was a requirement, even for kings.

Still it was a lifetime arrangement, and the man had responsibilities for her care and well being.
Agreed. Concubinage was intended to be a lifelong commitment, in general, just as marriage is intended to be a lifelong commitment. However, just as there is one allowable reason for divorce (Matthew 5:32), there is one passage in Genesis 21:8-14 in which Sarah wanted Ishmael and Hagar gone. God tells Abraham to do it. Sure, there was a reason. But God cannot sin nor command sin and there was no sexual immorality to cause a "divorce"; therefore, I believe, it was allowable to send away a concubine.

All that was to say this: According to the word of God, it is permissible to have a concubine for the purpose of obtaining children, which was my Reason #1. The sex-in-general issue I will reserve for later as I think it may not be necessary to cover after we get this first part ironed out.

Your desire for a concubine appears to be a sexual band-aid over a damaged marriage.
I’m sorry, but I don’t think I put anything in there that would have led to the conclusion that our marriage was damaged. Maybe I could restate or explain what you saw that triggered that conclusion? As far as a band-aid, I see it as a fix for something that is not working/broken. Maybe once the damaged part is better explained, it would make the band-aid part seem less so.

Spend some more time on the causes of the bleeding.
If you mean figuratively, then again, there is no damage to the marriage. If you mean literally, again, there is no bleeding. She just becomes sore and unable to continue after a period of time. What is meant to be enjoyable between two loving beings becomes physically painful.

Because a casual relationship that you label as a 'concubine' is not going to help things.
I may not have stated my intended permanency, but I do not believe I left any verbiage to allow the assumption of casual. I did acknowledge the secondary-wife status of a concubine.

And re-read my previous post on the topic.
I did and what you are saying "no" to, I am looking for.

If I am going to have sexual relations with a woman, it will be the completion of courting and the beginning of our lifetime intimate journey.
I agree, but not with the same end-game/stated purpose in mind.

Why would I want to give my love to a woman I am not 100% committed to? No reason is sufficient.
Not really talking about love in regards to a concubine, so moot point I think.

Why would I want to possibly father a child with a woman who might leave me and I will not be involved with that child? Or she might even abort it! I would hate myself forever if that happened.
  • A) Any "Her" leaving is always a risk whether it’s a concubine, first wife or sister-wife; polygyny or monogamy, always a risk.
    B) In the U.S., fathers have automatic parental rights regardless of marital status as long as our name is on the Birth Certificate. That can only fail to happen by omission at the time of birth or reversed by court order after the fact.
    C) I would like to think that the abortion issue (or tendency) would have been covered (or discovered) during the interview/courting phase.
    D) I would, too. :cry: But can we live in fear of a risk that is already present in any modern relation with any woman.

What will you do with any children from your 'concubine'?
Again, by law, I would already be tagged as the father and thereby legally responsible. AND... the entire point.

Reason #1: Wife cannot have any more kids!

This… actually makes sense. I am insane enough to think that I would have better success “selling” this idea as opposed to a sister-wife. This forms a hierarchy with me at the head, my wife below me and the concubine below her. Her position as my wife is secured. The Concubine would never enter my bedroom with sexual intent and I would spend the nights with my wife to show that she could never be replaced. My wife is also a very busy woman. Having a concubine around to provide the childcare and help with the house would be a relief for her as well for me.

:?: But above all this, your comment about my marriage being damaged still confuses me. :?:

EDIT: Ishamel and Hagar, not Isaac and Hagar. My error.

Sure sounds like a sweet deal for the woman designated as concubine. I'm sure they'll be lining right up to apply for the post.

As for selling the idea to your wife, so long as she is in control and makes the final decision -- good luck.

Re: Concubines... AKA: Plan B

NetWatchR said:
This… actually makes sense. I am insane enough to think that I would have better success “selling” this idea as opposed to a sister-wife. This forms a hierarchy with me at the head, my wife below me and the concubine below her. Her position as my wife is secured. The Concubine would never enter my bedroom with sexual intent and I would spend the nights with my wife to show that she could never be replaced. My wife is also a very busy woman. Having a concubine around to provide the childcare and help with the house would be a relief for her as well for me.
This is the fundamental issue then. You have a difference in sexual desire to that of your wife, that's fine, and believe a second woman would be helpful - that's also entirely logical. I think we'll all understand and accept that.

The problem is that you are trying to persuade your wife that you having another woman to sleep with is ok. You're trying to find a way of presenting the idea that would be more palatable to her. And you are doing that by putting down the situation of the second woman, proposing to offer her far fewer things out of this than your wife gets - not getting you to spend the night with her, and not even getting LOVE.

Are you a man or a mouse? Who's the boss in your house, you or your wife? Why are you bending over backwards to make things more palatable to her, even knowing that this would be raising her position at the expense of another?

If she is a Godly woman who is willing to follow God's plan for your life, and trusts your integrity, she will (eventually) accept that polygyny is an acceptable plan for your lives - with God's help resulting from a lot of prayer, and a lot of love on your part. Tell her the truth about how you are feeling, the solution you see, and the fact that you love her incredibly deeply and that will never change.

If instead you try to take a short-cut, and find a way to start this while she still doesn't actually trust you to treat two wives equally, while she still disagrees with the idea, that's just asking for trouble. Polygyny is hard enough as it is, a lot harder than monogamy, and not something to be entered into lightly or just to fulfil a sexual desire. More than one man here has lost their first wife over this issue, just from discussing it without even having a second wife on the horizon. Don't try to cut corners, you need to love her until she trusts you, and she needs to learn to trust and obey you even when she doesn't like it, knowing that you have her best interests at heart.

Back to love. We could argue for ever about exactly what a concubine is, but hopefully we can agree that they are a man's woman.
Ephesians 5:25 said:
Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it
Note carefully that the words "Husband" and "Wife" may appear in our English translations, but do not exist in the Greek. There is no distinction between wife and concubine in the New Testament, the word "woman" is used for any woman belonging to a man. In Greek, this verse actually states more like:
Ephesians 5:25 said:
Men, love your women, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it
Now, earlier you stated
Not really talking about love in regards to a concubine, so moot point I think.
If you are not planning on loving her, but just finding some woman to sleep with regularly with no love, you would be directly disobeying Ephesians, which commands men to love their women.

But I don't think you're proposing this because you actually think you'd find a woman to sleep with who you didn't love. I think this also just comes back to you trying to make the idea more palatable to your wife. You think she'll feel more secure and loved if you claim not to love a second woman, but just have her to fill your needs. Your wife thinks (or you believe she thinks) that you can only love one woman truly, and if you try and love two your love will be divided and you will love her less.

You need to show her that your love for her will never reduce. You need to teach her that however many children you have, you still love your firstborn just as much as you did when you only had one. You need to teach her that the same goes for wives, AND show her that through the way you treat her even when discussing polygyny.

Unless of course you too think you can only love one woman, in which case you probably shouldn't be considering polygyny at all. Every woman deserves to be loved, whether or not you call her a "concubine" or a "wife" or just your "woman".

Sure sounds like a sweet deal for the woman designated as concubine. I'm sure they'll be lining right up to apply for the post.
Well, yeah. I'm sure I'll have to beat them off with a stick. Success is practically guaranteed.

But, I was hoping to further discuss the possibilities of concubinage with a biblical perspective in a modern setting. I think that was the idea behind the OP. Then it got jumbled in with harlotry and fornication which really doesn't pertain to concubinage at all. I was fascinated with the idea because the purpose of a concubine’s very existence is precisely what would fit in this situation.

This goes out to everyone: If I am wrong, you know what to do… Show me where. I’m trying to be “Berean”. So far, I have only found scripture to support my supposition.

Whether or not it’s practical is a whole other subject.

** EDIT: FollowingHim and I posted at almost the same time. Thanks, Samuel. I will think on what you wrote.

Ok. First, I found your comment about being a man or a mouse a little offensive... which means, there’s probably some truth to it. So I need to look into that, because if I was certain, it wouldn’t have bothered me. But it did, so I need to reflect on that. The vast majority of what you said extrapolates off of that so I’ll conceded if that is the problem then it needs to be addressed first.

Regarding the Greek for wife actually meaning woman, even though Strong’s states that it is translated as wife about 42% of the time, I wasn’t about to look up all 221 occurrences to check each specific context. Regardless, I’m sure the English vernacular in each case could go either way; so, woman is just as good as wife. It’s semantics.

In as much as Loving a concubine, I still don’t see that as being necessary. Using my earlier example of Hagar and Ishmael getting the boot in Genesis 21:8-14, I'd like to note verse 11specifically , “The matter distressed Abraham greatly because it concerned his son.” Where was the concern for Hagar? Sarah didn’t say just get rid of Ishmael. She said they both needed to go and Abraham is only concerned for his son.

Overall, I would like to offer up that although I am putting myself out there as cannon fodder by using “me”, “my wife”, and “my situation”; I am looking at this whole topic of concubine vs. wife rather conceptually and not necessarily pragmatically. I don’t think Capt. Jon was the first to broach the topic and I doubt I will be the last. But, perhaps the next conversation with someone new won’t rehash what we’ve already covered. I do not wish to discourage any further discussion on this but simply want to make sure it remains a frank discussion without resorting to something baser. The enjoyment and learning coming from this discussion, I hope, is being shared by the other participants/observers as well.

**Please note, in my earlier post, it used to say Hagar and Isaac. That was incorrect and I changed it to say Hagar and Ishmael. Sorry for the error.

Gonna hop in seriously here for a bit. :D

NetWatchR said:
Ok. First, I found your comment about being a man or a mouse a little offensive... which means, there’s probably some truth to it. So I need to look into that, because if I was certain, it wouldn’t have bothered me.
Good man. No offense was intended. Iron sharpens iron around here. And a question was asked, not a judgment rendered.

But I am with Samuel in saying that the first step is to get your own thinking and house in order, from the point of view of who is in charge and leading. I can say this, as I am one of those men who lost my first wife and family simply over discussing PM before getting the other stuff straightened out adequately. Still trying to retrieve them.

NetWatchR said:
Regarding the Greek for wife actually meaning woman,
Here's the whole scoop on this one. We have a few names which we use for designating snow by the kind it is ... powder, slush, etc. Greek is the same way when referring to females. It pretty much always is specific about their marital state, and uses just 3 designations, to wit:
** One word for a single woman, never married. State of hymen was not the issue. Translated into English as "virgin".
** One word for a woman in an exclusive covenant relationship with a man (whether 'wife' or 'concubine'). Translated into English as either wife or woman, depending on context, but the same designation.
** One word for a woman no longer married, whether through death or divorce. Translated into English as 'widow'.

The Hebrew is more colorful, adding concubines and divorcees as separate designations.

So, while there is nothing wrong with the existing English translation for men to love our wives, if that translation is being used to justify NOT loving a concubine, then Samuel's translation, equally accurate, would be clearer and preferable.

Men, love the women with whom you are in an exclusive covenant relationship -- no matter WHAT you call them, or their legal status.
NetWatchR said:
In as much as Loving a concubine, I still don’t see that as being necessary. Using my earlier example of Hagar and Ishmael getting the boot in Genesis 21:8-14, I'd like to note verse 11 specifically , “The matter distressed Abraham greatly because it concerned his son.” Where was the concern for Hagar? Sarah didn’t say just get rid of Ishmael. She said they both needed to go and Abraham is only concerned for his son.
This is a good point. However, since you impute certain emotions (or lack thereof) to Abraham that aren't specifically spelled out in the text, I will feel free to do likewise using an alternative scenario.

Let's start back a few years. Abraham is definitely a MAN. He tells his male servants, of whom there were AT LEAST 613, to line up and let him, well, whack the end off their tallywhackers, and they DO. He understands leadership.

Except when it comes to Sarah. She's his weakness. He turns into a mouse, hangs his widdle head, and says, "Ok, dear."

So Sarah complains about his concubine, Hagar, and instead of saying, "Then get another maid, darling, and I'll set Hagar up in her own tent on the other side of the camp," Abraham says, "Yes dear. She's yours more than mine. I guess you have the right to do what you want with her." Sarah, feeling her power, proceeded to mistreat Hagar.

Do we really think Abraham didn't notice? Or care? Hagar was the woman he'd made a son with! Come on. He just turned mouse when it came to Sarah.

Fast forward 13+ years. Hagar has suffered under Sarah long enough. Abraham, while still feeling helpless, feels bound by his word. Abraham also loves his son Ishmael, who has grown into a strapping handsome young man.

Now along comes Isaac, the son of promise. He's the baby who needs his daddy present, whereas Ishmael is largely grown. Sarah blows her top and provides the opening needed -- "Send Ishmael & Hagar away!"

It is recorded that Abraham once again said, "Yes, dear." And that he sorrowed at the thought of missing Ishmael around the camp all the time. And that he talked it over with his friend, God, who offered to partner with him and take over / complete parenting Ishmael.

Some things are NOT recorded in our Bible.

It is NOT stated that he divorced Hagar. Merely that he sent her and Ishmael to go live elsewhere. Extra biblical sources state that he went twice a year to spend several weeks with her and Ishmael.

And his feelings regarding Hagar at that moment are not recorded. So I will speculate that the loving man side of him which existed despite the mouse nature in relation to Sarah, felt RELIEF! FINALLY! If Hagar & Sarah hadn't been able to work out a good relationship in approximately 14 years, that was long enough! The sorrow over Ishmael was intense, but tempered by relief for Hagar.

Biblical? As Biblical as stating that he felt nothing for her. That she was merely his test tube for the creation of Ishmael. It is also a scenario that I believe fits his character much better.

Yeah, this concept of concubinage does come up from time to time, here on BibFam. But for all practical purposes, it seems that the "wife" or "concubine" status is a woman's issue, and relates to her kids' inheritance and her responsibilities in her husband's home. But from the man's point of view and responsibilities, there's no noticeable difference. Both are wives.

Having said that, I also strongly posit that if we men will make the CHOICE to love a specific woman, God is perfectly willing to turn it into reality and provide the emotions. And really, what reason would there be to want to NOT love someone? If you had children with her, would you truly want your children to grow up observing and learning from a loveless relationship between their parents?

Thank you, All. Really. I really appreciate your insight. I wanted a modern biblical viewpoint of concubinage as compared to explicit marriage, and I got it - in spades. :D

IFF (if and only if) I were to maintain any difference at this point, I would simply state that we are so far removed from the concept in practice and culture that it would be impossible to appropriately embrace it.

Thanks again. I’m done.

:cool:

Well, Net, I am glad you are at peace. This is an issue that continually crops up on our forums, and I believe that it is a legitimate discussion for the men and women of our group to talk out and to come to some general conclusions. You are right, Net, that we are so far removed from the context and culture in which concubinage what prevalent, that it is difficult to ascertain all the specifics. However, that being said, it is important that as spiritual people, we come into one accord on this issue.

I think we can all agree that God puts a high priority on marriage (at least HIS definition of it), and the freedoms and limitations that He has engendered in allowing men and women to join together in covenant with Him for the purpose of creating a family, and establishing the Kingdom of God on earth through the multiplication and governance of that family. It is also evident in the Mosaic Law, which was the cultural application of the Ten Commandments to the people of Israel, that God had inspired Moses to interpret the bounds of sexual relations. He used these boundaries in order to define 'marriage' as opposed to 'not marriage'. The Seventh Commandment says, "You will not commit adultery". How was that interpreted to the people of Israel? Through the Mosaic Law, which laid out the guidelines.

I find it amazing and amusing that so many of those in the modern apostate church want a return to the 'Biblical definition of marriage', and yet have never bothered to read any of the passages that actually outline what marriage actually looked like.

I really don't care how the Bible commentaries or Bible dictionaries define concubinage. The Scripture is EVIDENT that God Himself and the culture of Biblical times recognized concubines as wives. They were wives of different status, but wives nonetheless. There was a COVENANT RELATIONSHIP that was recognized by all the parties involved. The children of concubines were considered heirs, and co-heirs at that. Concubines and their children were considered a part of God's Grander Covenant, and afforded all the protection of the law. They were not mistresses; they were not sexual playthings; they were not a convenient 'booty call'; they were WIVES.

The CLOSEST parallel that we have in our time are those in our growing community of Biblical plural marriage advocates have to the concubine issue is that afforded to those families that have more than one wife, the first wife having legal status under the unjust laws of marriage of the State, and the subsequent wives receiving the legal and cultural anathema of our topsy-turvy age as 'second-class'.

As men, we have a responsibility to show to other believing men, and in the larger context the world around us, that we do not considered ANY covenant relationship to be 'second class'. We cannot afford the opportunity to have the modern apostate church, the current state of political affairs, or the culture in general to give to us the definitions of those that the Father has placed into our care. We cannot allow our wives to be called 'mistresses", NOR CAN WE TREAT THEM AS SUCH. We cannot allowed our wives to be considered 'sexual playthings', NOR CAN WE TREAT THEM AS SUCH. We cannot allow our wives to be a 'convenient booty call', NOR CAN WE TREAT THEM AS SUCH.

No matter what the legal status of your wife(wives), if she is yours and you are hers YOU ARE MARRIED. If that is unclear in the smallest way, then get it cleared up, please.

For our purposes, here at Biblical Families, we regard the passages in the Scripture regarding concubines to be talking about wives.

Blessings

Doc

NetWatchR, thankyou for taking the "man or a mouse" comment in the way it was intended - however I apologise for saying it. It was overly blunt and offensive, and a lesser man would have taken understandable offense at it and potentially ignored the remainder of what I had to say as a result. So thankyou, and sorry.

Thankyou Cecil and Doc for your further explanations. On the inheritance issues with concubines, different people say different things here. However we know that the children of Jacob were all considered equal, it made no difference whether they were from his concubines or his wives. That is the most clearly outlined example, so probably the best one to use. So I agree with Doc, there is so little actual difference between wife and concubine (we can't even agree on what differences might exist) that it's much simpler and safer to just consider the two the same.

Hi all

I studied this topic for a thesis years ago. Traditionally, within the Hebrew culture, the difference between a wife and concubine is a difference in legal status that has to do with inheritance rights. Children of a wife had de jure inheritance rights under the Law while children born to concubines didn't. There are political issues involved at higher levels (kings, rulers, etc.) but a concubine was always a wife to her husband, the relationship was for life and she has all the rights and duties of a wife. The difference was the rights of her children. Nothing prevented the father from giving gifts to the children of a concubine, but such children had no right to demand an inheritance when the father died. Observe that Abraham gave gifts to his other sons up and sent them away, but the inheritance went to Isaac.

A wife could reasonably object to her husband taking another wife if it would diminish the inheritance to her children. Adding a second wife might be a point of contention if she brought nothing into the marriage. This is because a woman who brought nothing to the marriage but her body (her labor only- as opposed to the first wife, whose family had provided her with a dowry) would be more suitable as a concubine than a wife because she contributed no capital investment to the marriage. It's the difference between a shareholder as an employee and an employee who owns no stock. They both work but the shareholder has an ownership interest. Keep in mind that back in the day, marriage was a business as much as a family. One of the primary expectations was that the parents would provide an inheritance for their children and over time the nation would grow.

Thank you NetWatchR for being transparent and asking the question. I benefited from reading the thread and I think more highly of the "concubines" in the Bible now. Good stuff.

Thankyou Eristhophanes, very good information. And welcome to the forum, I look forward to getting to know you better.

Back