• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Covetous theology

Tlaloc

Sometimes a string of things just seems to come together and harmonize into one point.

Quite a while ago my pastor was explaining covetousness, his opening question was 'Can the person with everything covet?' The question was an abstract to make a point, it wasn't intended to have actual direct application, but I now think it does. The answer was yes, in that to covet is, crudely, to want more. Like Uzziah, the king who would be a priest, even being a king he was not allowed to be that which he was not.

Then we get into recent talks about perfection. Perfection is not needing anything, being mature in what you are, perfection is not having everything.

Now, still more recently, it has occurred to me that misunderstanding or outright perversion of these concepts together has lead to a fair number of heresies. From the Valentine Gnosticism to modern North American universalism, the basic argument goes 'God, being perfect, cannot lack anything, therefore- (God is both Male and Female, God cannot lose anyone to damnation)'

I propose that God can lack, both can and should. God lacks sin, he lacks error, he lacks flaw to start. Even the supposition that X cannot lack is self defeating in that X would have to lack the ability to lack. To say that God lacks nothing he needs is true, but it does not help the heretical positions, to say that he lacks nothing period is nothing short of ascribing covetous to God.

I can come to no other conclusion that God is perfectly contented with who He is, and has no desire to be anything He is not. For him to be anything he is not would only take away from his perfection, rather than add to it. God has lost nothing for avoiding sin, and the same is true for us when we avoid it, despite what most would tell us.

Jair,

There you go again. :lol: I had to look things up in order to post here. It is good though, as it makes me study things that I thought I understood. I believe that for humans, to covet is to want for something that really they either do not need or should not have, particularly temporary, physical things. I believe that the word 'covet' implies a negative characteristic, which by definition God would not and indeed could not have. It is the desire for more that sent Lucifer into a tailspin, from which he will never recover. I just finished a teaching on finance called, 'Show Me the Money', which touches on some of these things, but the current teaching that I am working on, (entitled 'From Here to Eternity') will address this issue in more detail. Perhaps that is why God had me read your post here. One of the things in this life that we must overcome in order to be ready for eternal life in the presence of God is selfishness, which really is linked to fear and pride. Covetousness stems from these weaknesses. Covetousness is rooted in looking at things from the wrong perspective, which is impossible for God. If someone has the proper eternal perspective, they would not covet, as they would knowingly trust God for every provision that they need or want. They would KNOW God and that He knows what is best for them. They would then focus on the kingdom of God and His righteousness, since they would know that is what He said to do and they would then forever be satisfied with what God gave them, which would be more than enough. That is why KNOWLEDGE is the key to perfection, but not just any knowledge, God's knowledge that comes with the mind of Christ. When we know the things that God knows, (but only after acquiring the wisdom from above and the understanding of the Holy Spirit in order to be able to use that knowledge properly) then we can operate in the principles of heaven. There is no need for someone who truly KNOWS God to covet, as they will forever fully trust and rely on Him for everything. It is the 'wilderness experience' of just getting by and suffering at the hands of the enemy that we go through right after receiving the baptism of the Holy Spirit, that is designed to help us understand this principle. However, as with most of the deeper things of God, the church at large does not teach, nor truly understand, these principles. The lack of God's wisdom and understanding prevents people from truly receiving the revelatory knowledge of God the Father. It is this lack that leads to wrong theology and mythology.

Be blessed,

Ray

Back