• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Cultural blindness

nathan

Administrator
Staff member
Real Person
Male
Here's a pet peeve of mine: How many times have you seen a situation, real-life or fiction, that would have been nicely solved if people just realized they had plural marriage as an option? I was watching a TV show - it's post-apocalyptic, you'd think they'd realize they don't have to play by the "old rules" anymore (of course the writers still are...), there's a guy who's got a pregnant wife, and a woman he's fallen in love with, who both need his support, but of course no one has a clue of the best potential outcome! (from my point of view) This happens in real life all too often. I find myself thinking a lot less of such a "small guy" who doesn't even realize what he is capable of (OK, maybe HE's not, of course not everybody is cut out for it.)

That's not to say that many such offers would be accepted at this point in time - but at least be man enough to make the offer! How unfortunate for women that our culture has trained men to not be "bigger". They don't realize that's it women who bear the brunt of the pain of enforced monogamy-only. It's 3rd-rate men who benefit - any loser can get a wife. Here's how I've said it before: "If the good men are suddenly not all 'taken', but available - the guys that treat women poorly will quickly realize they better shape up if they want to have a woman in their life". That's a win/win for the ladies, as I see it.

Am I wrong? Or just overly harsh? :)

Nathan7 said:
Here's a pet peeve of mine: How many times have you seen a situation, real-life or fiction, that would have been nicely solved if people just realized they had plural marriage as an option? I was watching a TV show - it's post-apocalyptic, you'd think they'd realize they don't have to play by the "old rules" anymore (of course the writers still are...), there's a guy who's got a pregnant wife, and a woman he's fallen in love with, who both need his support, but of course no one has a clue of the best potential outcome! (from my point of view) This happens in real life all too often. I find myself thinking a lot less of such a "small guy" who doesn't even realize what he is capable of (OK, maybe HE's not, of course not everybody is cut out for it.)

That's not to say that many such offers would be accepted at this point in time - but at least be man enough to make the offer! How unfortunate for women that our culture has trained men to not be "bigger". They don't realize that's it women who bear the brunt of the pain of enforced monogamy-only. It's 3rd-rate men who benefit - any loser can get a wife. Here's how I've said it before: "If the good men are suddenly not all 'taken', but available - the guys that treat women poorly will quickly realize they better shape up if they want to have a woman in their life". That's a win/win for the ladies, as I see it.

Am I wrong? Or just overly harsh? :)

Brother Nathan,

How true!!! The fact of the matter is that there are many women who are longing for true love and commitment, yet, settle for shallow relationships in hopes that someone will care for them all the days of their lives. Hence, single mothers are struggling to raise children, and the 3rd-rate men are lurking everywhere to take advantage of them and throw them away. Very sad, indeed! If women knew there was a better option!

Micki and Maude comes to mind as a movie that shows a polygamous resolution. Otherwise, I'd agree that it seems that an awful lot of media drama could be resolved instantly if the parties involved would accept and adopt the "obvious" (to us) solution.

The fact of the matter is that there are many women who are longing for true love and commitment, yet, settle for shallow relationships in hopes that someone will care for them all the days of their lives.

The above statement is so true and is one reason my wife and I are trying and working on bringing her best friend into our family. With all of her family issues that she has, there is really no one out there who can treat her with all of the love and respect she needs but myself. My wife and I have known her friend fro the better part of 25 years. WE know the kids and grand son. We are knowledgable of ALL the family issues and can and are willing to work around them, in order for her to have a relationship and a commitment with someone who can and does truely love her for her and not for what they can get from her.

andrew said:
Micki and Maude comes to mind as a movie that shows a polygamous resolution. Otherwise, I'd agree that it seems that an awful lot of media drama could be resolved instantly if the parties involved would accept and adopt the "obvious" (to us) solution.

I agree.

btw, welcome Andrew

Randy

Thanks, Randy!

Chaplain said:
The fact of the matter is that there are many women who are longing for true love and commitment, yet, settle for shallow relationships in hopes that someone will care for them all the days of their lives.

The above statement is so true and is one reason my wife and I are trying and working on bringing her best friend into our family. With all of her family issues that she has, there is really no one out there who can treat her with all of the love and respect she needs but myself. My wife and I have known her friend fro the better part of 25 years. WE know the kids and grand son. We are knowledgable of ALL the family issues and can and are willing to work around them, in order for her to have a relationship and a commitment with someone who can and does truely love her for her and not for what they can get from her.

Hello Chaplain,

My heart really goes out to those who settle for shallow relationships. There are many good men willing to assume responsibility for two or more wives and children. Men, who will really love, cherish and provide security for their family. If only our society would open up to the fullness of Biblical marriage.

I hope all goes well with bringing in the best friend of your first wife. Drive slowly and carefully!

Back