• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Dealing with the beast

Mark

How I would love to be there for you, having been before them myself. If you get the chance, watch their faces as God puts the pressure on them. One judge could no longer look at me when God put his hand down to shield me from them. The power is unreal!!!! Keep the faith and pray. We will pray for you.

Dairyfarmer

I am praying and fasting today

I am fasting and praying today.

The first real hearing on the motions for dismissal in my case is scheduled for the middle of next week. Now is the time when the DA assigned will decide whether or not to dismiss the charges prior to that event.

The legal grounds for that dismissal are excellent. There is no question that in a nation which honored its own Constitution, in particular the Free Exercise Clause of the First Amendment, such a persecution should never have occurred. It has, however, become clear to me that this is no longer a nation of Law. My attorney has said that while grounds for appeal are now in place, and are obviously excellent, he does not now expect anything other than a slam-dunk, politically-correct sham (my words, not his - but the effect is the same). The DA, who dropped all charges against my beloved wife, in spite of an admission of real physical violence on her part, refuses to consider any non "domestic violence" compromise for me -- with onerous implications in a land where "ex post facto" prohibitions are now meaningless -- in spite of the fact that Bernadette has acknowledged that there is NO history of ANY physical violence by me whatsoever.

I am literally accused of failing to dishonor my solemn Covenant before God -- that I will love and cover my wife forever. This is called "harassment" in a nation which has forgotten Him, and considers any Covenant no more binding than its own "Supreme Law".

This is a spiritual battle.

I know that God has directed me to be specific in my prayers, and I will try to do so here in this request as well:

Please pray, first, that God's Will be done.

Please pray that He will touch and open the heart of the DA; that she will honor her oath of office, and that she will do the right thing.

Bernadette' conscience has been "seared with a hot iron". Please pray that it will be restored, that she will be healed and delivered from evil, and that her wounded spirit will be comforted.

I have long prayed over my beloved wives as many of you no doubt also have, from Proverbs 31. If you are so moved, I ask that you please pray that Bernadette would repent from the false witness that she has borne, from the rebellion that has caused her to violate both God's Word and her Covenant of marriage, and to do me "good, and not evil", all the days of our lives.

I believe that I have truly forgiven those involved, "from my heart". But this is an ongoing battle, and I pray for strength to do as He asks.

Please pray that there will be forgiveness for all involved, by all involved, and that God's will be done.

Finally, I do pray that God will heal our hearts, our marriages, and my house: that Bernadette will repent and "return to me", just as God has directed His errant wife, Israel.

I thank you in advance for your prayers, and your kind and loving support. It is very much coveted, and appreciated.

In His love,

Mark

Mark

I will print this off & pray according to this.

i really dont know the story, may or may not have time to go back & read it, but God will hear the prayers anyhow.

I will "agree" with you on these things.

In His Love,

John

Thank you all for your prayers.

And, Ray --

I appreciate, as always, your counsel.

And you are correct - I let some cynicism slip in there. That is a personal battle that I continue to fight, because it is one thing to be obedient to lawful authority, and another to submit to those in opposition to Him, and who violate His law, as well as the oaths that they took before Him. I know that path is narrow indeed.

What I believe you need to do now is show B love and give her an idea of what she could have by coming back. She is afraid and just speaking the truth will not work. It is how we speak the truth that counts.

And while I agree wholeheartedly with that, Dr. Ray, the sad truth is that it is currently not possible for me, given that I have been prevented from having ANY contact whatsoever with her, for many months, and without even "due process". Thankfully, while they can physically stop me from seeing her, talking with her, praying directly with her, or even knowing if she still lives, they cannot stop my prayers, or my love and covering.

That is why I pray that the "works of the evil one" will be destroyed, and try to pray for those who persecute my house, even as I pray that He will touch their hearts.

I do not know yet how His plan will work out...whether I will be delivered of this trial, or whether I am to "sound a trumpet" and expose the evil for what it is. But He does.

And I do trust in Him, and know that there is great blessing when people walk in agreement, and that their effective, fervent prayers do avail much. Thank you all again for those prayers.

Blessings in Him,

Mark

Mark,
I will be praying for your family over the coming days. On a lighter note, I hear you are hoping to come to the Oklahoma mini-retreat? I hope so. It would be great to finally meet you and your family.

SweetLissa

Day in day out the law loves to drag these things out. Its a long time since that post last November about this starting. Its good to hear you are hanging in there, keep up the good fight.

Motions hearing Wednesday

Thanks again to all for the continued prayers and support.

Tomorrow is the "motions hearing", and the first real court appearance.

Multiple 'Motions to Dismiss" are in place. The most important of these, in my opinion, is the one that essentially says that the "Domestic Violence" and "Harassment" statutes, as attempting to be enforced, are clear violations of the "free exercise" clause of the First Amendment, as well as the similar guarantee of religious freedom under the Colorado constitution. There is much supporting case law which shows that the legal issue under consideration SHOULD be (among others):

- Defendant's actions, as alleged, amount to an exercise of his right to free speech, and exercise of religious freedom...

- The alleged harassment consisted almost entirely of an ongoing exchange of emails, dealing with religious beliefs -- a voluntary exchange.

- There is a difference between (to put this element in terms that a Bible-believer would understand) using Scripture to "reprove, correct, and instruct in righteousness" and harassment. I believe that most here would also know that for a husband to do any LESS for his wife than honor his Covenant before God is to fail to cover her. We are commanded, in fact, to "wash" them, "by the water of the Word".

- A summary of US Supreme Court actions is presented, consistent with previous analysis by the US Attorney General, which presents a number of considerations. Many of these are violated by this action, and the statute as applied. Among these is whether the action taken (attempted imprisonment, after having already destroyed the marriage, and utterly preventing ANY communication) is the "least religion-restricting alternative".

- "Free exercise" refers to ACTIONS and not only to beliefs. (US v Cruikshank)

- This quote, from the Virginia Declaration of Rights
That religion, or the duty we have to our Creator and the manner of discharging it, can be directed only by reason and conscience, not force or violence, and therefore all men are equally entitled to the free exercise of religion, according to the dictates of conscience.

- "Specifically, what the state is attempting to do in prosecuting Defendant for his exercise of his sincerely held religious beliefs, is just what the state is forbidden from doing."

- It is the INTENTION of a pastor or preacher who communicates with a parishioner cause serious enough emotional distress to induce changes in the behavior of the parishioner!...In the instant case, the real question is "at what moment in time should the requests to stop preaching have been honored?" If the preaching continued after that moment, the state MAY step in and take action to protect the public peace safety, and order, or to protect the religious liberty of the complaining witness, but the state's actions in so doing must be the least religion-restrictive alternative.
(Here, I add that those who understand what the Bible says about marriage will also know that the duty and authority of a Covenant head of house extend even beyond that of a pastor.)
"What would otherwise be (arguably) illegal, in the context of religious freedom, is not only legal, but is highly protected." (many case law citations follow)

- "As applied, the statute is unconstitutionally void for vagueness. It
appears to make it a felony to say anything, repeatedly, that makes another reasonably suffer serious emotional distress. (Examples are given of necessary speech which may cause the hearer distress)...A law is not constitutional because it is only applied in constitutional ways by a good prosecutor."

- "Complaining witness repeatedly RESPONDED to the emails upon which prosecution is based," not only by email but by phone.

- "...laws which are neutral towards religion, such as stalking laws, can coerce a person to violate his religious conscience or intrude upon the activities and beliefs of religious institutions just as effectively as laws aimed at religion specifically." (Anderson v. Celebrezze, Wisconsin v Yoder)

- "Assuming for the moment that no one will question that Defendant has sincerely-held religious beliefs, how has the state prohibited the free exercise of that belief? Not only is the state prosecuting Defendant for his past exercise of his sincerely-held religious beliefs, the state is also chilling the exercise of similar matters of faith by others who share Defendant's religious beliefs".

- "Does the state action forbid or prevent the free exercise of Defendant's religious beliefs? Does the criminal prosecution of Defendant result in a sincere belief that his ability to perform his religious duty is threatened? It is hard to imagine something which would more clearly threaten Defendants ability to perform his religious duty than to have the state criminally prosecute him for exercising his religion! (Religious Liberty..., supra, at p. 58. Wooley v. Maynard)

- "The application of the statute in the instant case is unconstitutional as applied. It is overly broad and vague. These concepts of constitutionality are all based upon a due process notice principle. In the instant case, the conduct was so clearly in the mind of the Defendant, preaching and religious teaching, as he was religiously, belief obligated to
do, he had no way to see that his behavior was prohibited by the law which he is charged with violating. Thus, the application of the statute in the instant case deprives the Defendant of due process under both the State and the Federal Constitutions, as being overly broad and vague in its application..."

- "When a challenged law threatens to inhibit the exercise of constitutionally protected behavior, as it does in the instant case, a greater degree of specificity is required than when law does not implicate constitutionally protected liberties. (People v. Gross)

(And, as I've noted before, such arguments are a resource available to anyone else who should ever find themselves subject to similar persecution as well. It is important that His people share 'knowlege', without which we may be destroyed, just as Hosea warned.)

Many of you here know, and have seen, that my long-held position on matters of both Law and Scripture has been consistent in this one regard. God Wrote His Word for us for a reason. When our Savior was challenged by Satan, He responded by repeatedly referring to what "is Written". Our own Founders and many subsequent jurists have made the same point: The Supreme Law is WRITTEN DOWN for a reason!

I have long been concerned that a nation which has "forgotten God" is a "nation of men, not of Law".

I appreciate as well the many private communications and comments I have received from my brothers and sisters here. While all marriages consist of times of chastening, of learning, and of repentance, I have come to conclude that God has another purpose for me here as well. Part of that consists of the ministries of apostle, and of prophet, in the sense that He sometimes asks us to walk out His warning for His people.

If nothing else, I see that what is happening here is similar to the charge to the "watchman on the wall" (Eze 3:17, and chapter 33).

While obviously I continue to pray that these charges will be dropped and even that my house eventually be restored, I recognize that what is most important is that His will be done. I will continue to pray for the leading of His spirit, and that all those with "ears to hear" will hear.

In His Name,

Mark

If you are seen by a bad judge then most of the first amendment arguments may be functionally discarded, but I think very few people could ignore the fact that it was a voluntary exchange which she replied too. Of course if you get a fair judge then your case is solid through and through and you are sure to win.

I hope this comes to an end soon for you, I get the impression that judges spend 2\3rds of their time putting cases off for later. Every time I've attended court for someone or other the majority of the time spent setting a later court date, and often people have already set later dates 3-4 times...

Our freedom of speech is fixin' to end shortly. When they pass H.R. 1913 you will no longer be able to tell people about Jesus or what is in the word.

Dairyfarmer

Sorry for the delay in putting an update in here. I have been busy preparing for the hearing tomorrow.

I am also mindful, and thankful, for those who have communicated with me privately concerning this trial, and my concerns and reactions to these events. There is very clearly a "narrow path" between submission to authority, whether one believes it to be Constitutional or not, and obedience. Perhaps that would be a good topic for another thread, since I have come across some excellent teaching on the issue.

While this is not the outcome I had been praying for, there does at least finally seem to be an end to the immediate legal proceedings in sight. The DA handling the case offered a "deferred sentence" plea bargain to a greatly reduced offense, which I concluded was what God would have me accept. This I have done.

(The actual plea entered to the lesser offense was also called an "Alford" plea, after a Supreme Court case of that name. Essentially it is a claim that the defendant did NOT do the thing accused, but rather than fight an expensive and very risky battle, agrees to the plea specifically in order to avoid that trial. In my case, I asked that the DA be specifically informed that it is my desire to avoid the "serious emotional distress" that such a trial would undoubtedly inflict on B, which inclined me to accept the offer.)

With that plea having been entered, tomorrow (Friday, 15 May) morning will be the 'sentencing'. As before, I again ask that any of you so inclined please hold all of us up in prayer.

I will note one other thing, since it has been very much on my heart lately. I told Bernadette immediately after her violent breakdown that I forgave her (and she did, that same evening, repent, acknowledge her actions and the spirit that motivated them, and ask for my forgiveness). I also told her that I would work to have her charges dropped (which I did, and was done - for whatever reason) and even that I would take her place if possible. That is in fact exactly what has now happened.

I continue to pray that Bernadette will know that she is forgiven, and that, most importantly, she is loved. She has never been able to see that before. And while I cannot tell her so, or pray with her, I can and will continue to pray OVER her, and trust that God will reveal that Truth to her, and give her His healing.

May God grant all of us His protection, and "eyes to see".

In His love,

Mark

Mark, thought I'd ask publicly what we're all thinking: did this go as expected? Anything surprising or interesting come out of it? I know it's not what you'd hoped for, but would be glad you got rid of the sword over your head (or replaced it with a smaller one at least...).

In our prayers, Nathan

Thanks, Nathan. As always, we greatly appreciate the support and prayers of your family and all of those here.

It was in fact a very difficult day, even though the attorney assures me that the outcome was far better than any other likely alternative. I intended to write an update a bit earlier, but please forgive my delay. I hope the reason will become clear.

"Alford plea" or not, I pleaded guilty to an act that I did not commit, and was sentenced to a "crime" of "domestic violence" as the sole and direct result of engaging in two-way communications with my Covenant helpmeet that were universally acknowledged to be "religious in nature" and based on God's Word. While the judge could have modified the agreed arrangement in any manner (and was encouraged to reject the "crime enhancement" of alleged "domestic violence" on at least First Amendment free exercise grounds) that did not occur, in either direction.

I am thankful for His chastening, guidance, and especially His protection.

I am now required to attend 9 months of weekly DV sessions. It has, admittedly, occurred to me that God may have plans for my interactions at those; I will pray to remain open to His leading.

I will confess that the most heart-rending aspect of this whole proceeding remains the level of deception to which B has consented.

I continue to ask for the prayers of all those who might be willing concerning her healing, and forgiveness. There remains at least one major issue which I wish to outline for those prayers, as those who read might see fit:

She has no way of knowing, since I have been prohibited from any interaction at all with her, the efforts that I made to have her charges dropped for the very real and painful violence that she inflicted on me. I do not know if she has prayed about that act since the night that she repented to me on the phone, prayed with me, and received my forgiveness.

B struck me with a closed fist to the face about two dozen times, and later admitted that fact under oath. But the same DA who dropped the charges against her entirely was insistent that I be charged with "violence" for "religious abuse" (a verbatim quote). I had in fact, many months ago, admitted at least to myself, and God, that I would willingly "take her place"; even though I am not by any measure, like our Savior, a "suitable sacrifice" -- that is precisely what has now happened, and I have no regret on that score.

But B is, or was, an honest and loving woman, who knew Scripture well. She understood from Proverbs 31 that she was to do me, her husband, "good, and not evil, all the days of her life". She once would not ever bear false witness (although I knew and understand all too well the spirit of hatred and fear that took control of her that night, and I know that what she was experiencing was not real, but was a painful memory from her past. But she once DID know it, when she repented on the phone.)

The morning of the final hearing, I received a very disturbing fax from my attorney, of a letter ostensibly from B. (It had the fingerprints of someone else all over it, and of a malevolence I continue to pray against.) It repeated a number of lies that I KNOW B understands are simply not true. (God's protection was evident here; their inclusion seemed to be something that the judge recognized for what they were, and may have taken into account.) The letter urged the court to sentence me to DV, and secular counseling -- something that my beloved wife would simply never have countenanced, any more than I would want to see her sentenced to involuntary drug 'therapy'. It ended by saying she was "afraid" of me. Had I not known who the ultimate author of that missive was, this might well have been the most hurtful thing I had ever seen. I know that the Adversary intended it as such.

Since that time, God has been gracious, in many ways, and shown me a number of things in prayer. For this I am thankful. I know that He has "all things" worked out for our good. And I continue to pray, because "those whom He loves, He chastens", that He will chasten my wife B unto repentance, and give her His complete healing. I pray that she will one day know, and accept, that she is loved.

May God give you all His blessing, and His protection,

Mark

whew, brother, you dun been drug through the knothole sideways

Mark C said:
I had in fact, many months ago, admitted at least to myself, and God, that I would willingly "take her place"; even though I am not by any measure, like our Savior, a "suitable sacrifice" -- that is precisely what has now happened, and I have no regret on that score.

i encourage you to focus on the fact that God did answer your pray and the walkout is that you recieved a very light sentance(spell-check por favor) for the sin that she committed. rejoice that you were allowed to take her place so that she did not have to pay the penalty herself. right now especially she is the weaker vessel and needs your help in the spiritual as never before even though you can have no contact with her in the physical.

there is a concept of bearing our brothers burdens which goes way beyond just feeling bad about his problems and actually somehow removing them from him and carrying them ourselves. it happens in the spiritual realm but the walkout is in the physical realm. daniel prayed forgive us our sins. he had not been part of the sin that isreal had committed but he was identifying with it and repenting for it. job was making sacrifices for his children in case they had sinned.

as patriarchs we must identify with the mistakes made by our members and go before God and ask Him to forgive us.when we pray and ask Him to forgive them we are separating ourselves from them and pointing our finger towards them. but when we ask Him to forgive us we are coming with our arms around them and saying father, we have sinned. please forgive us, even when they are still in deception and unrepentant. it is not a magic wand that makes everything go away, but it does things in the spiritual realm that i do not pretend to understand

Dear Mark,

Steve and I are new to the site, and for both of us, the example that you are being in all that you are going through sets a standard for the rest of the Body of Christ. Reading your journals and updates is painful on so many levels, (having fought my own bizarre "battle with the beast" over 20 years ago,) and yet there is a joy in the strain of "fighting the good fight," which you have been strengthened by God to do well. Truly in His Spirit He has taught your spiritual "fingers to fight" as you chronicle the struggle for the rest of us, and feed our souls in doing so.

As I meditate on your situation, I keep hearing the word "warring forefunner." You are running as you fight, fighting as you run as a footsoldier. May the swift and strong steeds of YHWH of the armies, and Yeshua, the Captain of our salvation be dispatched to carry you quickly through this fray and out the other side, Shalom to the depths,where restoring rest can be your portion and that of your household, even B.
Ali

...as patriarchs we must identify with the mistakes made by our members and go before God and ask Him to forgive us...

Thank you, Steve - that word of wisdom is indeed very much appreciated.

Likewise, Ali, thank you for your support and prayers.

I have seen more miracles in and through B, and what He has done for us, than I once could ever have imagined. The current trials do not diminish that witness, in spite of the fact that we are all human, and sometimes get weary. But I promised B that I would "wait on the Lord", and all of that Covenant remains in place.

I rest in the certain knowledge that He does, indeed, have all things worked out for our good, and continue to pray that the things we learn will in whatever way He wills, are a blessing to those who seek to walk in obedience to Him.

Blessings in Him,

Mark

Back