• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Defiant Birth by Melinda Tankard Reist

Diener

Real Person
This is another book review!

Book: Defiant Birth: Women Who Resist Medical Eugenics
Author: Melinda Tankard Reist

Section of review: Introduction

I am doing this in parts as I finish various parts of the book. I have not read all the stories, yet, but I wanted to comment first on the Introduction to the book, which reveals the current attitudes, legislation, and culture around pregnancy, abortion and disabled children. Much of the Introduction deals more specifically with Australian and European prejudices, but the United States is sprinkled in there, too.

While I have a lot to say about abortion in general, that is not the point of this book. This book proposes that there is a deep-seated prejudice in society against people that are disabled and not just about bearing disabled children. Her Introduction makes a very good case for this, filled with references, personal communications and personal experiences. Certainly in my own experience I have seen this over and over, too. She points out that people are indoctrinated to the idea that you are doing society, and the unborn child, a favor by aborting them.

She points out that disabled people do not wish they had been aborted! Many of them have happy lives despite the challenges and prejudice they face. (Indeed, in my own experience, I have known many more "normal" people that have committed suicide than disabled people!) She uses the perspective of a woman with Turner's Syndrome as an example of this on pg. 59.

She also notes that doctors make women think that their babies will hate them if they do have them. I have seen this idea played out on TV shows several times, particularly in the case of Huntington's Disease. They make it look like all children will hate the parent that has it and gave it to them, which isn't the truth in many cases!

Then, when it really gets down to the motivations in society to prevent disabled children from being born, it isn't really based on some benevolent desire to shield the mother or the child from suffering or abuse, but to "clean up" society. It is the ultimate form of discrimination - killing the "problem" individual before they are considered to have rights by the government.

Indeed, the only people that seem to think that disabled people shouldn't exist are the ones without disabilities. Even God doesn't think that is right, or He wouldn't keep making them! Who is a mere man to say that the diversity God places on this earth and the baby He makes to grow in the womb isn't just as important (and perhaps more so*) as any other person? Reist includes a quote on this matter that I really loved. I will quote page 60 from her book to share it:

"When a hearing parent said, 'I have the right to want surgery for my child which will make him more like me, a hearing person,' Gary Malkowski, then legislator in Ontario, Canada, replied, 'Then presumably you have no objection to deaf parents requesting surgery to make their child deaf' (in Campbell, 2000, p. 209)."

So here we come to the part of this review that deals with my own beliefs. When a child is born with a handicap, perhaps it is better to let them live with it, too. Perhaps not. But only prayerful consideration of the benefits of having a disability can guide a parent to the right course of action. A particular disability might be a cornerstone for the sanctification of that individual through his or her life.

This is not an objective review at all, since I have strong convictions about the rights of the unborn and the rights of all the individuals God has made. And this leads me to sharing one of my more controversial ideas. So, if you have made it this far into my wall of text, you get to hear one of my crazy ideas.

Isaac was born to Sarah when she was very old - even after she had gone through menopause. So, statically, that is a high probability just from a "random chance" point of view, though I don't think there was anything random about it. After she had him, his older brother would make fun of him all the time (not something that is mentioned anywhere else in the Bible with regard to siblings). consider also that Abraham was very worried that he wouldn't be able to find a wife for Isaac even though he was very, very rich. When he sent his servant to find one, even his servant asked God to show him who would be a good wife for such a man. I think the servants "test" was a way to find out if she could handle being a Down's' wife. Additionally, Isaac was a very docile, trusting and naive person. When you look at the stories about him, from the way he let himself be laid on the wood to be sacrificed by his father to the way his son Jacob was able to trick him into giving him the blessing, all of them point to him behaving like a man with Down's Syndrome.

To me this is an amazing and wonderful revelation! Not only does this mean that God plans for such people to be born, but that He considers such babies to be worthy of being the fulfillment of His promise! Isaac was the promised child that God would bless!! Wow! And when you look at the way the Bible talks about Isaac, it is clear that God found him to be a righteous man. And what makes a man righteous? Believing God! (Gen 15:6 and Rom 4:3) I might even venture to say that people with Down's Syndrome have an easier time with believing God because He has made them to have more faith than the rest of us!

I never considered it until several years ago when the Lord asked me if I would accept any baby He would give me - even one that had Down's Syndrome. That is when He showed me Isaac. While the Bible doesn't say anywhere that Isaac had this condition, I have come to believe that it was so. So, yes, Lord, I will accept your Isaac!

My husband reminds me that some people will be very offended by me saying that Isaac was a person with Down's since it implies that a whole race of people are "defective". Just the fact that people would be offended because of that very prejudice way of thinking of another human being is pretty telling and further confirms Reist's assertion that our society would euthanize all disabled people via the practice of eugenics. If God made Isaac a disabled human being, then what does that say about our cultural values and societal practices of aborting them?

Thank you for this beautiful post. I have been weighing the pros and cons of a late in life baby for weeks now. I have never been blessed by a child of my own and have always felt deprived. However, at 47 I have felt like it would be wrong to try to have a baby now. But your post put so much in perspective for me. Who am I to tell God "No" for anything. If God has such a child for me, then I will absolutely love it and bless God for his provision.

SweetLissa

Hi Diener.

Thanks for your review and opinions.

I too enjoyed Defiant Birth very much. I liked the spirit of defiance in the many stories of women who fought against people's prejudices and had and raised their disabled children.

Certainly the Nazis would be very happy with the level of eugenics that is being practiced in Western society these days. We are just not comfortable having less than perfect people around. We need to enhance, refine, enlarge, reduce, sculpt, force them into our view of God's image and if they just don't fit, we eliminate them.

The pressure put on the women in the stories to abort, or in the case of disabled women, to never conceive, is so cruel and relentless. But the pressure is not motivated by concern for the mother or the child, it is simply to prevent people from having to confront their own prejudices.

Unique perspective on Isaac, I hadn't heard that one before, thanks for sharing.

ylop

Yes, I love reading stories of other women's births, too. When I was pregnant with Liam I read Ina May's Guide to Childbirth and loved it. There is just something powerful about hearing women tell their stories.

I am also appalled at the way doctors see themselves as the authority on who should be born, who should not, and who is worthy to reproduce.

And as far as having babies late in life, well, if God didn't intend for women to conceive at 47 then we would all go through menopause before that. Not only is there pressure on women not to conceive after a particular age, but there is pressure on them only to have a "reasonable" number of them while they are fertile. I don't know why people think that they have to narrow the boundaries that God already made very broad, and He did so very intentionally.

Thank you both for the comments, though I expect there will be some that are not so kind eventually. But perhaps I am just jaded by my time spent debating abortion issues on other forums...

isaac a downs child?
sorry, but that is flying Assumption Airlines.

i agree that the nazis would be happy with the desire to eliminate the useless eaters before they are born and that doctors enjoy playing God.

i also do not have a problem with having late in life children. why not have them when you are mature enough to know what you are doing? why let the immature do all the procreating?

steve said:
isaac a downs child?
sorry, but that is flying Assumption Airlines.

Of course. But as plausable as other things that folks do speculate. Not going to start preaching it, but it is a fascinating theory.

Book: Defiant Birth: Women Who Resist Medical Eugenics
Author: Melinda Tankard Reist

Section of review: Stories and Afterward

Personal stories of other women:
This was one of the most powerful parts of this book! Personal stories always are. Reist included stories of women that were told that their baby would have a severe condition, but didn't, and stories of women that were told their baby had severe conditions, and did. Some women had their baby even though they knew the baby would die shortly after birth, and some of them were surprised when their baby didn't die and ended up living happy lives. She includes women from the States, Australia, New Zealand, Europe and a few other countries. The best thing about these stories is it helps the reader experience the agape love that a mother has for her disabled child.

For those of you that would be interested in a short video version of such a personal story, here is one called 99 Balloons:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=th6Njr-qkq0

It was shared by a Christian woman on one of the other forums I am on and it was a powerful turing point for me in choosing to know if any of my children would have a disability before they are born. That way I can be sure to cherish every flickering moment I have with them on this Earth.

Afterward:
Some great information that I have never heard before (as is true of the Introduction, too). It seems that intolerance of disability (and that includes genetic diseases) is a bigger issue in Europe and Australia, but that is probably also because the writer tended to focus on them more. I found reading the endnotes just as informative and interesting.

It is shocking to me what people will do to babies in our modern times. I have seen historical documentaries about how ancient societies would handle the disabled and unwanted children and I remember being so very appalled! I thought to myself how good it is that we "civilized" people understand that there is no "bad omen" or evil that comes with giving birth to such a child - that they are fragile little human beings needing love and acceptance just as much as (and probably even more than) any other baby that is born. After learning all the horrible things we do to babies in the womb or newly born at just a few weeks (as the result of an induction intended to abort the baby), I realize we are the same as we have always been.

My husband and I had our first son before we legally married and I was very young (17). There is a test that if not given at 17 weeks of pregnancy comes back with wrong results. We were told that our son would have down syndrome and that we both carried the gene that causes cleft lips and pallets. We were so scared, took every class we could find about children with medical handicaps and prayed for 9 months solid. ( Never would we consider abortion). When our beautiful 8lb 2oz baby boy was born there were no signs of downs or any other handicap or diability. Praise God we chose his way. Our son is now a handsome 14 on the honor roll and as big as his dad !!
With the rest of my pregnancies we have chossen not to have this test. We will accept any baby the Lord sees fit to give us and there is no reason to worry for nothing.

woodysgang said:
... ( Never would we consider abortion). ...Our son is now a handsome 14 on the honor roll and as big as his dad !!

*CHEERING* :D :D :D

Yeah!! Yes, the tests are wrong more often than they are right. Seriously. My sister-in-law was told her baby was going to be a Down's baby, too, but after agonizing over what to do they chose to keep her. When she was born, she was completely normal. And she is gorgeous to boot!

The book talks about that, too- how the doctors seem to be sooooo very worried about preventing a handicapped baby from being born that they are perfectly happy to abort "normal" babies, too, as a price of doing business. But, I think handicapped babies are just as wonderful to hold at the end of those 9 months, even if the time you hold them is short.

Back