• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Dianoia

A

Anonymous

Hello Everyone

I'm currently involved in a Bible Study entitled "The Way Of Agape" by Chuck & Nancy Missler. I'm having some issues with some of the definitions for terms that the Missler's are using. Namely "Dianoia" (Strongs # 1271)....The Missler's have stated that our willpower "is the key to our Christian walk"...I do have some issues with this statement, in and of itself, but they have interpreted "Dianoia" as "willpower". The only definitions I have found for Dianoia have been "mind", "minds", "understanding" and "imagination". Chuck Missler did acknowledge that "mind" was the meaning but stated that "willpower" was essentially a better definition. Thus far, I'm not finding any confirmation that he is correct. Am I missing something here ?

Blessings,
Fairlight

I suppose if I had to pick a word, it would be volition. Its not quite the same as willpower, willpower refers to the potential ability to will something (one with a strong will would have the willpower to do either good or evil), while volition deals with what you actually do will and how you choose to apply you're thoughts.

Or, even simpler stated, not ones willpower, but ones will itself and the understanding that drives it.

Fairlight wrote,
The Missler's have stated that our willpower "is the key to our Christian walk"...I do have some issues with this statement, in and of itself, but they have interpreted "Dianoia" as "willpower.

Having not read the book and seeing only this small sampling, I can't be sure of any facets of meaning they may attribute to this word (dianoia). Based on the references below, from Strong's, along with other texts I propose this idea. Dionoia is referencing, not "will power", but the benefit of knowledge, with reason coming to legitimate conclusions of truth. Will power generally carries the idea that one may, by dint of exercising of the will, bring about certain or specific results. This isn't taught anywhere in the Bible. Exercising will power has often been confused with operational faith in God, but this is not so. One may close their eyes tightly and repeat the idea in words and thought, over and over, yet to no avail. "I wish I may, I wish I might..." may be said with great intensity and sincerity, yet nothing be changed. However, Jesus said, "Ye shall know the truth and the truth shall make you free." Truth transforms lives by transforming people. Truth liberates by breaking the bonds of misinformation, deceit and fear. Truth also, often gets us into situations of conflict with the powers of darkness, when we stand on the truth of God's word.
I would conclude that Truth and confidence in God is the key to the Christian walk and will power is powerless in the believers spiritual development. The brokenness of Psalm 51 is the effect that will power deserves in our walk with God. When our will is subjected to the Most High God and we die to self, mortify the flesh and crucify the old man, we have dealt with will power effectively in the Christian life.

NT:1271
dianoia (dee-an'-oy-ah); from NT:1223 and NT:3563; deep thought, properly, the faculty (mind or its disposition), by implication, its exercise:

KJV - imagination, mind, understanding.

NT:1223
dia (dee-ah'); a primary preposition denoting the channel of an act; through (in very wide applications, local, causal, or occasional):

KJV - after, always, among, at, to avoid, because of (that), briefly, by, for (cause). ..fore, from, in, by occasion of, of, by reason of, for sake, that, thereby, therefore, X though, through (-out), to, wherefore, with (-in). In composition it retains the same general import.

NT:3563
nous (nooce); probably from the base of NT:1097; the intellect, i.e. mind (divine or human; in thought, feeling, or will); by implication meaning:

KJV - mind, understanding.

Hi Fairlight,

Okay, like John W. said, "dianoia" means something like "deep thought" or "deep mind/intellect". But as with most Biblical words, we determine the exact meaning by context.

What I then did is go through the thirteen verses which use the word "dianoia" in the New Testament, and exchanged "willpower" or "deep thought" into them to see the sense of the word as it was used.

I also compared "dianoia" to the word "will", which is the Greek word "thelema" (G2307) in the New Testament. It properly means "a determination/purpose", which is what I think we commonly understand to be what our will does.

In many places where "dianoia" is found, both "will/willpower" and "mind/deep(est) thoughts" look on the surface as if they would work just fine.

However, when we get to Ephesians 1:18 and 4:18, "willpower/will" just doesn't fit quite right:

"...the eyes of your WILLPOWER being enlightened, for your knowing what is the hope of His calling, and what the riches of the glory of His inheritance in the saints..." (Ephesians 1:18)

"...the eyes of your MIND/DEEP(EST) THOUGHTS being enlightened, for your knowing what is the hope of His calling, and what the riches of the glory of His inheritance in the saints..." (Ephesians 1:18)

"...being darkened in the WILLPOWER, being alienated from the life of God, because of the ignorance that is in them, because of the hardness of their heart..." (Ephesians 4:18)

"...being darkened in the MIND/DEEP(EST) THOUGHTS, being alienated from the life of God, because of the ignorance that is in them, because of the hardness of their heart..." (Ephesians 4:18)

"Mind" is a better fit than "willpower" for the word "dianoia". Not only is there another Greek word for "will", but "dianoia" actually comes from the two words "deep" and "thoughts". One's will is not so much their thoughts as their determination.

Chuck Missler is a really interesting person, and he comes up with lots of interesting information. However, I've found him to be a bit on the credulous side. He tends to believe a lot of things that aren't true, and he gets his facts wrong more often than he ought to. I still like him, because he makes me think.

I think though on this issue, Chuck is definitely wrong. Willpower is a different word altogether, and the key to our Christian walk is faith, not willpower.

Remember, isn't to he who wills, but of God. To be like Jesus we need to say as He did, "Not my will, but Yours be done".

John for Christ

Fairlight said:
Hello Everyone

I'm currently involved in a Bible Study entitled "The Way Of Agape" by Chuck & Nancy Missler. I'm having some issues with some of the definitions for terms that the Missler's are using. Namely "Dianoia" (Strongs # 1271)....The Missler's have stated that our willpower "is the key to our Christian walk"...I do have some issues with this statement, in and of itself, but they have interpreted "Dianoia" as "willpower". The only definitions I have found for Dianoia have been "mind", "minds", "understanding" and "imagination". Chuck Missler did acknowledge that "mind" was the meaning but stated that "willpower" was essentially a better definition. Thus far, I'm not finding any confirmation that he is correct. Am I missing something here ?

Blessings,
Fairlight

Back