• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Did they give them a theology exam before getting married?

Scarecrow

Re: Did they give them a theology exam before getting marrie

Do not be unequally yoked comes to mind...etc...etc...you know the arguments for and against...pros and cons...

I think a lot of people marry outside of their religion, but do so out of ignorance at a young age. When I first married in my 20s I considered myself a Christian yet had no clue what it meant to be one. Had I married a woman outside of my religion with firm beliefs in her religion it is likely that she would have swayed me into her religion. In any case if an individual that "knows better" chooses to do it anyway they had better be prepared for issues that they otherwise wouldn't have to deal with. I would recommend that if an individual wanted to marry someone that didn't have the same or very similar religious beliefs that it should be discussed considerably before making any permanent plans.

1 Corinthians 6:12 "All things are lawful for me," but not all things are helpful. "All things are lawful for me," but I will not be enslaved by anything.

DTT,

We have been down this road before once already. On our end as leadership we would not endorse the idea of bonding with an unbeliever, something we discussed at length in another post already.

kind of a moot point anyway, as we do not have that type of war happening and no captives taken.

I sugest one step further . . .

When I was a pastor I was asked more then once about should I marry this person . . . we are both Christians.

However, in one case: Roman Catholic (her) and a Baptist (him) who was in Church at least 2x a week.

What about a strong believer in tongues and a methodist?
A fundamentalist and well pretty much anyone else.
A KJV only person and one who goes to a church where the Message is used.
Someone who goes to church about once a month and someone who goes three times a week.

These are all little things. you should not only be a believer but of one mind when it comes to the big spiritual stuff.

After many years of talking with people/couples and counseling couples/people the worst mistake you can make in marriage is on the spiritual side. Most everything else can be paved over. However the spiritual side has, G-D SPAKE THIS. And well . . . it may just be your teachings.

I cannot underestimate the importance in this area. ------ disclaimer -- I did not mean to slam your faith group. Substitute most any group in . . . blah blah blah.

steve said:
kind of a moot point anyway, as we do not have that type of war happening and no captives taken.

I do not mention the war captives thing here with a primary motivation of taking war captives because I do not want to be thrown in jail. But with the point that God gives people specific permission to marry foreigners this is important because of the reasons described below.

I have seen basically three primary arguments against marrying unbelievers (although there are other potential arguments)

1. Philosophical reasons that it would not be a good idea

2. Misquoting portions of 2 Corinthians 6

3. References against marrying foreigners really meant not marrying people of other religions. Foreigners is a metaphor representing people of other religions.

The problem with 2 is that yoked does not have to be a metaphor for married.

The problem with 3 is that people are given permission to marry foreigners If foreigners meant "other religions" then permission to marry foreign would be a metaphor for permission to marry other religions and would refute objection 3, if foreigners does not mean other religions then objection 3 is refuted because foreigners does not mean other religions. If foreigners only selectively means other religions then someone might select the meaning only when convenient for there preconceived forbidding of marrying other religions.

Now a single historical example of God approving an inter-religious marriage would not show that all inter-religious marriages are approved but it would show that some (at least 1) are approved.

dtt,
you are "wresting" scripture
the war captives references are ONLY for war captives and you are twisting the discussion toward alien wives. which, as keith said, has already been discussed.
hey, get one saved, spirit filled and walking with Yahweh for a few years. then by all means, marry her :D

and macike even points out some of the problem areas with "believers" ;)

when you catch a fish, you clean it before you have it for dinner (becoming one with it) :shock:

steve said:
when you catch a fish, you clean it before you have it for dinner (becoming one with it) :shock:

Uhm that might be my problem with fishing.

Signed,
Mr Outdoorsdud

steve said:
the war captives references are ONLY for war captives

A lot of people make reference to marriages with foreigners being forbidden in the OT meaning you can not marry someone from other religions. (Using the word foreigners as a metaphor and replacing the word foreigners with other religions.)

So it is not valid to use foreigner references as an objection to marrying women of other religions. Because there are specific cases when you are allowed to marry foreigners.

And I understand there are potential limitations to the scope of application for Deuteronomy 21:10. because potentially
the war captives references are ONLY for war captives

foreigners whose families have been slaughtered and whose society has been destroyed.
you cannot just pluck out one word and apply the passages to all women who match that word

A public forum is not without structure. Discussions that even slightly support underage marriages, marriages without choice, slavery or arguments based close to these subjects are not where we want to go and will be deleted or edited. The Old Testament is approached through Christ's love and within the character of the early church.

But the subject of theological differences for potential spouses is important in itself.

Other questions have simply been moved, would that not have been a better solution?

Back