• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Do-over!

Doc

Real Person
Coming into a knowledge of PM for many of us was a learning experience. Many families had not gone down this path before, so for many, it was new territory. Just like explorers of the frontier, new skills had to be learned, new friends were made, some old friends became enemies, and sometimes we encounter new enemies.

If you had to do it over again, what advice would you give to someone considering exploration of this new frontier?

If I had it to do over again, I'd keep my big mouth SHUT about PM for a long, long time, and instead focus on becoming the leader of my family, a Godly patriarchal man. Instead of merely the partner who got to make decisions on BIG issues, such as where we lived, while being sidelined and irrelevant and uninvolved on most everything else.

Only AFTER doing things like instituting daily family worship morning and evening, and establishing a solid pattern of using one of them for teaching (the other focused on thanksgiving); only AFTER making more of a point of taking care of "widows and orphans" than we already did; only AFTER resolving various issues with how I handled finances and health, would I raise the issue of PM seriously as part of the family worship.

And even then, I'd probably do it by challenging the family in various ways: A big prize to whoever found the Bible verse that said PM was wrong, followed a few days later by the question of how the church came to mandate monogamy, etc. all aimed at making the family think and find the answers themselves, rather than me telling them.

By that point, we might well have had one or more of those "widows" and her "orphans" so much a part of our family already that, like the Froggies, it woulda merely seemed like the logical next step.

Would it have worked out any better than what DID transpire? Dunno. Pretty sure it wouldn't have worked out worse.

Back