• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

do we have the right.........?

steve

Seasoned Member
Real Person
Male
you may feel that this belongs in the health section, but to me it is more about our marriages.
premise: that no one has the right to ignore the effects of their health decisions (exercise, smoking, drinking, over-eating, junk foods, etc.) on their mates. with focus on how we will be effected by those decisions as we age and our mates have to deal with our possible impairment or incapacitation.
this is NOT about whether our mates are making good choices, it is to focus ourselves on our OWN choices.

1 Corinthians 6:19-20 Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit within you, whom you have from God? You are not your own, for you were bought with a price. So glorify God in your body.

1 Corinthians 7:3-5 The husband should give to his wife her conjugal rights, and likewise the wife to her husband. For the wife does not have authority over her own body, but the husband does. Likewise the husband does not have authority over his own body, but the wife does. Do not deprive one another, except perhaps by agreement for a limited time, that you may devote yourselves to prayer; but then come together again, so that Satan may not tempt you because of your lack of self-control.

While the second is about sexual privileges of a spouse, one can imagine that if a spouse did not take care of themselves and remain attractive it could cause the other to wander.

I believe it is our responsibility to take care of ourselves to the best of our ability (exhibit self control) since we owe it to God and our spouse(s).

Scarecrow said:

While the second is about sexual privileges of a spouse, one can imagine that if a spouse did not take care of themselves and remain attractive it could cause the other to wander.

I don't believe anyone can 'cause you to wonder' you really have to take responsibility for your own actions! I don't believe anyone has the right to use that passive aggressive 'S/He made me do it' excuse.

With that said, I agree wholeheartedly that we have to take an active concern in the health of their loved ones, perhaps not to the point of micromanaging everything they do, but positive encouragement and reinforcement.

Also, it should be based upon health, rather than aesthetics, women are especially under a lot of pressure to remain attractive, long after men have given up all pretence of taking care of themselves. I say if they want to tell a woman to put the cookie down and get to the gym, they had better be in prime physical condition themselves.

Bels

by stating "could cause" I meant be a contributing factor. I agree with you.

Scarecrow said:
by stating "could cause" I meant be a contributing factor. I agree with you.

Ok, I am sorry I jumped to conclusions :D

B :p

Back