• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Domestic Discipline, Putting Away, and Michal.

I could not find any good discussions regarding David's handling of Michal after her loathing of him, so I am starting one. What are your thoughts? Did he deal justly or unjustly with her?

We discussed this a while back, but I cannot recall the thread. Some BFers were claiming that David did not have any relations with her after this instance, but I fail to see where the Scripture states anything other than that she died childless. In other words, it is another instance where God opens wombs and God closes them. The only women that Scripture records David putting away, were the 10 concubines who slept with Absolem. I might be interested to see what Jewish writings are otu there regarding Michal, though. I know there are some writings which state that she never consumated her relationship with Paltiel, and I believe this is very likely to be true, given David's concern for what the 10 concubines had done. When Saul gave her to Paltiel, he no doubt assured him that David would soon be dead, which of course never happened. There may have been some resentment on Michal's part that she was taken from Paltiel, which could explain why David mentioned that God had chosen him over her father. It is somewhat speculative, I admit, but well-grounded nonetheless.

Some BFers were claiming that David did not have any relations with her after this instance, but I fail to see where the Scripture states anything other than that she died childless.

I know there are some writings which state that she never consumated her relationship with Paltiel, and I believe this is very likely to be true, given David's concern for what the 10 concubines had done. When Saul gave her to Paltiel, he no doubt assured him that David would soon be dead, which of course never happened.
2 Sam. 21:8
But the king took the two sons of Rizpah the daughter of Aiah, whom she bare unto Saul, Armoni and Mephibosheth; and the five sons of Michal the daughter of Saul, whom she brought up for Adriel the son of Barzillai the Meholathite:

More a textual selection issue rather than a translation one. Most manuscripts say Michal but some say Merab. But given that the husband's name is identical to the name of the man whom Michal was given to, Michal seems logical.

Back