• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Education of the future

This looks good but how in the world will we break the Educational Industrial Complex?
It's such a battle just to get kids freedom to choose which school as it is.
Democrats routinely block school choice even. I'm certain within the next decade even homeschooling will be illegal.

No way in heck are we sending our kids to public school.

Last edited:
The System is not about to give up and die.
On top of that, too many of our neighbors do not want to unplug and think for themselves.

I think that the battle will outlast our once-great country.

I agree that many in the liberty/libertarian camp are a little over-optimistic about how great everything is just about to be. OTOH, I don't see any reason to be too pessimistic, either. A lot of this is up in the air, and the victory will go to whomever wants it more. "May you live in interesting times."

I am part of a great credentialing mill. … Colleges admit already advantaged Americans. They don’t ask them to do much or learn much. At the end of four years, we give them a certificate. That certificate entitles them to higher earnings.....converting birthrights (which we all think are unfair) into credentials (which have the appearance of merit).”

I believe the University system, as we know it, will fall under its own weight within the next 20-25 years. It is not sustainable, or effectual. Ive advocated for a system of apprenticeships in trades and specialized fields for about 10 years now, beginning in high school, perhaps junior high. Glad to see someone agree! It's no knock on kids, but some just don't belong in college, no matter what the cultural push tells them, or how smart they are. It should be (1) option for young people, not the only option. Military service is a great option too.

The K-12 system is terribly flawed, but it requires adjustments more than a complete overhaul. Students still need basic structure and guidelines when learning the 3 Rs. Does every kid need calculus? No. Should every kid learn how to simplify improper fractions? I think so. Should every kid be able to write a novel? No. Should they be able to construct a letter to write a congressman? Yes. Assuming every kid will "explore" responsibly seems to relinquish too much authority to the child. Parents (adults) should still lead, but maybe not as forcefully as the system requires now.

Homeschooling will continue to grow, but will have its limits. For a huge section of the population, it is not economically feasible. Single mothers and low wage earners just can't see that option as viable (which is a plug for polygyny, right?)

My two pennies worth.

Interesting article. I think he’s probably right in some ways and is looking in the right direction, but as much as I’m in favor of homeschooling and as much money as we spend as a family doing so in a direction focused manner, I’m not very impressed by the unschooled kids I’ve been in contact with. In my experience, the kids who are unschooled (especially young) tend to be poorly educated in at least one or more of the R’s. They may be great readers but be poor performers in math and writing or some combination of the two. While this is the case to some degree in all students, in the unschooling world the gap is much broader.

The apprenticeship idea he’s proposing is a great one but I think needs more clarity, perhaps a trade specific schedule and core subjects to prequalify for an apprenticeship. No doubt a personality type test would be a great indicator of the types of studies to undertake for a specific trade or profession.

San Antonio use to have technical highschools were high school students who knew they weren't going to college would go and learn a trade from tradesmen. I think the apprenticeship model works the best in virtually all cases. It took me 8000 hours about 4 years of work time experience to become a journeyman plumber and work with out supervision.

The Dallas Police Department educational requirements state that applicants must have a high school diploma or GED certificate AND between 45 and 60 semester hours (class room) from an accredited college with a minimum 2.0 GPA*. They must also: Be a US citizen. Have a valid driver's license.

Interesting article. I think he’s probably right in some ways and is looking in the right direction, but as much as I’m in favor of homeschooling and as much money as we spend as a family doing so in a direction focused manner, I’m not very impressed by the unschooled kids I’ve been in contact with. In my experience, the kids who are unschooled (especially young) tend to be poorly educated in at least one or more of the R’s. They may be great readers but be poor performers in math and writing or some combination of the two. While this is the case to some degree in all students, in the unschooling world the gap is much broader.

The apprenticeship idea he’s proposing is a great one but I think needs more clarity, perhaps a trade specific schedule and core subjects to prequalify for an apprenticeship. No doubt a personality type test would be a great indicator of the types of studies to undertake for a specific trade or profession.
Apprenticeship schedules...yes! I would so buy into that system.

San Antonio use to have technical highschools were high school students who knew they weren't going to college would go and learn a trade from tradesmen. I think the apprenticeship model works the best in virtually all cases. It took me 8000 hours about 4 years of work time experience to become a journeyman plumber and work with out supervision.

The Dallas Police Department educational requirements state that applicants must have a high school diploma or GED certificate AND between 45 and 60 semester hours (class room) from an accredited college with a minimum 2.0 GPA*. They must also: Be a US citizen. Have a valid driver's license.
Because college classrooms so prepare them for facing bullets and knives....yeah right.

3 to 4 years in a class room straight C's no real life experience. Who could foresee any problems? The best police officers Ive met say it takes about 6 years to break the entitled mindset that college instills and to actually know how to be a good officer.

Yes. All of my kids were home schooled and to a certain extent unschooled. Their home schooling is self-directed and self-paced, but there are some basic requirements of the 3R variety. Beyond that, though, they have a lot of freedom to pursue individual interests, and it's amazing to watch how wide-ranging and varied their interests are and how much work they're willing to do on their own on something they're really interested in.

We homeschool and use a co-op somewhat. Mainly for computer sciences. We structure their Writing, Language, Math, and Bible Studies. History we let the kids wander to what interests them and try to find activities to bring it to life. Science is different for each my daughter is a mad scientist if it slimy of phisials she's into it. My oldest son is only interested if it is in motion, and youngest son likes rocks. We let them read about what interest them. I found out that if I let them manage their own time that they end up doing more work than when I tried to planned out their daily work.

Yes. All of my kids were home schooled and to a certain extent unschooled. Their home schooling is self-directed and self-paced, but there are some basic requirements of the 3R variety. Beyond that, though, they have a lot of freedom to pursue individual interests, and it's amazing to watch how wide-ranging and varied their interests are and how much work they're willing to do on their own on something they're really interested in.
We need that. Our middle one is in K12 and struggling with the amount of work. She is smart but the amount of lessons is hard for her.

I used to fall asleep in Lit in 12th grade.
I was very interested in the subject just it was right after lunch, I worked nights, and after so many hours sitting in those rigid chairs, scurrying between classes.
I'm looking forward to giving my kids the gift of not dealing with gov't schools.

I remember the teacher threatened to kick me out if I fell asleep again.
After school I as carrying my sax and my best buddy noticed our Lit. teacher asleep at his desk.
I assembled the sax, went up behind him and blaired out a low B flat.
worth it

I agree that many in the liberty/libertarian camp are a little over-optimistic about how great everything is just about to be. OTOH, I don't see any reason to be too pessimistic, either. A lot of this is up in the air, and the victory will go to whomever wants it more. "May you live in interesting times."

I also like, "I pray for peace but if there must be trouble may it be in my time."

Nothing. It'll just get more worse. By the way things r headed, we'll eventually have universal and compulsory nursery and preschool. Outside of that, we'll have only two choices (public or private school), with homeschooling banned, and the curriculum in private schools controlled.

Public education has always had one goal. It is to indoctrinate children into good and loyal servants of what the State is currently teaching. That is why we got public education from the Prussians, while telling everyone that it was to teach kids how to read and write and do basic arithmetic. In reality, it is like Ron Paul said, to strengthen control over us, starting when we r young. THAT IS WHY I'VE ALWAYS BEEN IN FAVOR OF SCHOOL VOUCHERS, BANNING PUBLIC SCHOOL, AND GETTING THE ENTIRE GOVERNMENT OUT OF EDUCATION.

Back