• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Meat Equal, Fair, Equitable, Just... or Seeking the Good of Others

NickF

Seasoned Member
Real Person
Male
23 All is allowed me, but not all is expedient. All is allowed me, but not all is edifying.
24 Let no one be seeking the welfare of himself, but that of another.

I'm not seeking a second wife, but I know God wants me and the wife of my youth to be prepared to do so for whatever reasons He has. It could be simply obedience and a stronger relationship between the two of us. Or it could be that he has plans for more women for me. I certainly don't presume to know.
To my way of thinking, obedience in this will make the most ideal husband to a wife, and father to children whether that be monogamous or polygynous.

To that end I'm learning all I can and trying my best to conform to and become the kind of man God desires me to be. So the topic of fairness and equality is something I can see being a MAJOR source of contention in a plural marriage situation. Especially when it's counter-cultural and not common.
Forgive me if this is a thoroughly hashed over topic, haven't seen but a couple posts about it.

It seems to me like rather than pursue fairness, equality, or just splitting of time and attention etc.. That the goal should be harmony and seeking the good for the other. In my thinking, it seems like a terrible weight to bear and requiring a great deal of diplomacy, awareness, diligence, attentiveness, maturity, and assiduousness towards your wives. Seems like it requires a great deal of grace to be measured out and then a double portion on top of that. With the center of everything being seeking the good for the other. Without that core love and care, jealousy, selfishness, and bitterness will quickly root and grow.

We would be dealing with different women, with different needs and wants. Different personalities and drives. One might need lots of quality time, the other might need lots of words of affirmation, or little gifts, or acts of service. So it seems to me like a man would need to be crystal clear that communication needs to be instant and open, clear and often. That needs are being expressed, and that he act accordingly. And that all women involved understand that his heart is towards them, and that he isn't ever going to show favoritism, but that he will do justice to the best of his ability and seek the good for all involved. That there might be a week here or a week there where one relationship or the other might go through a deepening time and one or the other might get an "unfair" amount of time or attention.

I know this is much simpler in theory than practice, and the best of intentions amounts for little. But simply understanding and acknowledging these truths ahead of time and clearly communicating them might save a lot of heartache by establishing a firm foundation of expectations and goals.

I'd love to hear some thoughts from you on this. Personal experience where this might have or did help? Hindsight where you know this would have helped? Modifications to what I said here? Nick you're a rose glasses fool and you're just going to have to learn by fire? Practical solutions to equality and fairness problems you have come up with?

23 All is allowed me, but not all is expedient. All is allowed me, but not all is edifying.

I'm not seeking a second wife, but I know God wants me and the wife of my youth to be prepared to do so for whatever reasons He has. It could be simply obedience and a stronger relationship between the two of us. Or it could be that he has plans for more women for me. I certainly don't presume to know.
To my way of thinking, obedience in this will make the most ideal husband to a wife, and father to children whether that be monogamous or polygynous.

To that end I'm learning all I can and trying my best to conform to and become the kind of man God desires me to be. So the topic of fairness and equality is something I can see being a MAJOR source of contention in a plural marriage situation. Especially when it's counter-cultural and not common.
Forgive me if this is a thoroughly hashed over topic, haven't seen but a couple posts about it.

It seems to me like rather than pursue fairness, equality, or just splitting of time and attention etc.. That the goal should be harmony and seeking the good for the other. In my thinking, it seems like a terrible weight to bear and requiring a great deal of diplomacy, awareness, diligence, attentiveness, maturity, and assiduousness towards your wives. Seems like it requires a great deal of grace to be measured out and then a double portion on top of that. With the center of everything being seeking the good for the other. Without that core love and care, jealousy, selfishness, and bitterness will quickly root and grow.

We would be dealing with different women, with different needs and wants. Different personalities and drives. One might need lots of quality time, the other might need lots of words of affirmation, or little gifts, or acts of service. So it seems to me like a man would need to be crystal clear that communication needs to be instant and open, clear and often. That needs are being expressed, and that he act accordingly. And that all women involved understand that his heart is towards them, and that he isn't ever going to show favoritism, but that he will do justice to the best of his ability and seek the good for all involved. That there might be a week here or a week there where one relationship or the other might go through a deepening time and one or the other might get an "unfair" amount of time or attention.

I know this is much simpler in theory than practice, and the best of intentions amounts for little. But simply understanding and acknowledging these truths ahead of time and clearly communicating them might save a lot of heartache by establishing a firm foundation of expectations and goals.

I'd love to hear some thoughts from you on this. Personal experience where this might have or did help? Hindsight where you know this would have helped? Modifications to what I said here? Nick you're a rose glasses fool and you're just going to have to learn by fire? Practical solutions to equality and fairness problems you have come up with?
It seems like you are raising some good questions. I think you are on the right track.

Our primary focus as men must be on our Master Jesus Christ. We seek to please Him, and serve Him as He builds His Kingdom.

I'm not sure if this is relevant but:

Jesus Christ deeply loves all of His followers. Nevertheless, He seemed to have given more time and attention to Peter, James, and John, than He did the other disciples. John seems to have been His favorite.

A lack of absolute equality doesn't necessarily indicate a deficiency of love.

Jesus Christ deeply loves all of His followers. Nevertheless, He seemed to have given more time and attention to Peter, James, and John, than He did the other disciples. John seems to have been His favorite.

A lack of absolute equality doesn't necessarily indicate a deficiency of love.
True dat, but it's always advisable to remember that Exodus 21:10 doesn't assert that Saviors have to treat all Their disciples equally.

My only experience with having more than one wife was relatively brief and didn't end well due to my lack of backbone, so I can't offer any specific advice, but I will say this about the subject you've raised, @NickF: I believe that success in any marriage is far more dependent on the solidity of one's commitment to do whatever it takes no matter how long it takes than it is on any advance preparation one can engage in before either the marriage itself begins or the problems themselves arise. Absolute commitment tends to inspire problem-solving success.

Good questions and comments, Nick.

My experience tells me to treat my wives equally but not the same. They are two different women with different personalities, some different likes and dislikes, needs and wants. But there are situations where they each think I spend more time, effort, and energy on the other.

That needs are being expressed, and that he act accordingly. And that all women involved understand that his heart is towards them, and that he isn't ever going to show favoritism, but that he will do justice to the best of his ability and seek the good for all involved. That there might be a week here or a week there where one relationship or the other might go through a deepening time and one or the other might get an "unfair" amount of time or attention.
And then there are female hormones.... you are wrong no matter what you do. :rolleyes:

@andrew This is what I was speaking about when we were talking this weekend. Easier said than done but this is my unexperienced mindset.

@NickF - The fact that you're ahead of the game here is a good sign.

We started our relationships enforcing a rough fairness of time and attention that was eventually rejected as 'merry-go-round monogamy'. The more you focus on that, the weirder you get about it. I'm aware of another family that went as far as to meticulously record time and money spent on each wife in an effort to reconcile everything to strict fairness. IIRC, that did not end well. But whether it's the OCD version or the rough justice version, 'fairness' puts the focus in the wrong place.

Ultimately, you as the husband/father have to do what's best for the team. Plan on over-explaining what you're doing and why you're doing it at first.

More later - I'm about to arrive at the house!

Of course a husband is going to show favoritism and I often counsel first wives that there will be a honeymoon between the husband and the new wife. It always happens and it's foolishness to pretend it won't.

And life is always different after a new wife comes along. Ideally that life is better but it is always going to be different.

But after the newness and novelty wears off it seems to me that the relationship between the first wife and the husband can often be closer in ways it wasn't before. Why? Because the new wife can make a husband more appreciative of the familiarity his first wife has with him. She's known him longer. She knows he doesn't like sugar in his coffee. She knows he doesn't want pepper on his vegetables but he loves it on his meat.

And perhaps that's unfair to the new wife. But there's not a single thing that can be done about it.

It's just how it goes.

Intimacy is going to be different between a man and his wives. One wife might like it more and one might like it less...in which case they complement each other. The smart wife who likes it less will be grateful for the other wife and she'll be wise enough not to fall into the trap of jealousy.

Accept the differences as simply being what they are. Like you said before, Nick, fair and unfair are playground terms.

Of course a husband is going to show favoritism
Given that each individual is unique, treating everyone equally would be unfair.
Attempted equality ends up favoring the one who most appreciates whatever equal thing or treatment was given.
Accept the differences as simply being what they are.
This is the only way to have harmony and have the needs of all get met.

I can't give the new wife the years I've had with him, but she gets a man that has matured through the years of being a husband and father.
She will never be a newlywed wife in a totally empty quiet house just waiting for him to come home after work, but she also won't deal with all the years of being housebound with lots of young children. Trying to get away when you are leaving them with a sitter can make times you attempt it nerve wracking.... .not relaxing.

A modern wife trying to do it all is tortured with massive expectations.
A plural wife trying to be like someone else is doomed to a worse kind of failure.

Know yourself.
Live honestly.

And remember, love is given not earned.

You reminded me of what a great philosopher (Paul McCartney) once said:

And in the end
The love you take
Is equal to the love you make

As someone who has been a 1st wife, 2nd wife and now a 3rd...🤯...I do not even think about what the other wives have or don't have. It's not really any of my business. In my humble opinion, the relationship between a husband and each of his wives is just that. Each marriage is different. Each wife is different. My idea of a good time is probably not the same as Karin or Ali. We are 3 very different women. So while I love to hear that oh Steve did this or that, Or Steve sent me this or that, or I got to have the best conversation with Steve today...my happiness does not depend on what others may consider fair or equal. My ability to be the wife Yah intended me to be for Steve doesn't depend on his actions at all really. I willingly married him. I agreed to become a member of his family. So equal or fair doesn't play into it. I am still required by the law to submit myself to my own husband. I could sit around worrying about it or i could chose to be who Yah intended me to be. In my mind I don't even consider what he does or doesn't do with or for his other wives. I focus on doing what is right in my marriage. Bless y'all! 💚

As someone who has been a 1st wife, 2nd wife and now a 3rd...🤯...I do not even think about what the other wives have or don't have. It's not really any of my business. In my humble opinion, the relationship between a husband and each of his wives is just that. Each marriage is different. Each wife is different. My idea of a good time is probably not the same as Karin or Ali. We are 3 very different women. So while I love to hear that oh Steve did this or that, Or Steve sent me this or that, or I got to have the best conversation with Steve today...my happiness does not depend on what others may consider fair or equal. My ability to be the wife Yah intended me to be for Steve doesn't depend on his actions at all really. I willingly married him. I agreed to become a member of his family. So equal or fair doesn't play into it. I am still required by the law to submit myself to my own husband. I could sit around worrying about it or i could chose to be who Yah intended me to be. In my mind I don't even consider what he does or doesn't do with or for his other wives. I focus on doing what is right in my marriage. Bless y'all! 💚
Awesome post @Hisdaughter, and I love your concluding remark.

I focus on doing what is right in my marriage.

Back