• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Errol Flynn on Friendship with Women

tps26

Male
Errol Flynn, lifetime adventurer, lover, and on-screen buccaneer on friendships with women.
Excerpt from pg. 344 of his autobiography My Wicked, Wicked, Ways. (An excellent read for those who like a good adventure, BTW)

"Lili taught me more than I wanted to learn. The workings of a woman's mind are not as tortuous as some think. Novelists make some great mystery about female psychology; but maybe these novelists have had only some piddling experience with women so that they have not had enough to go on, so as to speculate or draw conclusions. It is true I got a late start with the feminine mentality, but Lili had engine power enough to put me out ahead of the rest of my brethren in the opportunity to learn something.

In the same breath I want to say, a woman friend is the best friend you can have. In my early days I was brought up to hear it said that you can never have a real woman friend, that male friendship is deeper, like Damon and Pythias. That is not true - not in my book. I have had two great friends: I still have them. They are so far superior to male friends, so much more understanding, so much more generous in feelings.

Solid friends - both women.

I learned, when the cards were down, who were my friends and who were not - and these were. Women make better friends than men: good, really honest friends. When the going is tough, give me a woman for a friend. If they happen to care for you, they will go farther than any man. Half the world will disagree, but that has been my experience, and it is useless to generalise unless you can speak from the empirical."
------------

I agree with his sentiment. I don't recall from the book that Errol did much leaving, mostly kept getting left because he made another woman friend. He married several times. I think he would have kept most of his relationships concurrently if he could have.

I enjoy doing activities with men, or having a great constructive argument and still being able to walk away as friends with a simple handshake, but at the end of the day I still long for friendships with women. Which is to say, I want to be married more than once. Because my experience has been that if I like a woman enough to want to seek out time with them, then I probably already love them.

What do you think? Do women make better friends for you? Can you really be "just friends" without feeling a tug towards a deeper relationship?

I would speculate that Errol Flynn’s experiences are probably not normative. There are no modern corollaries for how big of a star he was.

From my experience men and women can’t be friends in the traditional sense. We will either get bored and lose touch are end up going down in a romantic entanglement.

From my experience men and women can’t be friends in the traditional sense. We will either get bored and lose touch are end up going down in a romantic entanglement.

I tend to suspect that Flynn's female friends landed in 1 of 2 categories...those who were having sex with him and those who wanted to.

I know some who advice a certain distance in your relationship's with women; that you can't be friends with your wife. There is some founding to that, familiarity breeds contempt. But I think that is mostly a symptom of poor matches and women who never really bonded. " If they happen to care for you, they will go farther than any man." Such is the way of a woman in the thrall of a man, she'll go to hell and back for you.

I would have to say that my best friends are my wives.
I have had an extremely deep friendship with another female that tapered off, but we remain friends.

I would agree with this in some aspects. I enjoy the company of women a great deal. Not all of it is sexual attraction. I am merely friendly with women who are taken (I respect another man's territory), but I am often friends with older women (divorced or widowed). I can talk and have friendly debates with many of them and not feel the trappings of who is trying to be alpha or afraid of being beta.

That's not mist women. Most are too mercurial for me. It's only certain women.

I openly admit that my wife is my best and truest friend. We have an established hierarchy, so some might not define it as a friendship, but I do. We mesh and enjoy each other's company.

Back