• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Even Dragons Shall Him Praise

So in Scotland women should wear skirts, because men wear them. Got it.
In ancient scottland women were not allowed to wear kilts (even today it is not the correct form of dress). Women had their own specific garments, most of which were ankle length dresses.

It's not about the specific clothing, it's about the men dressing like men and the women dressing like women. That is much more difficult when the culture is trying to blend those two (men and women) together.

If a woman is wearing "women's" jeans and a baggy sweatshirt she probably could be mistaken for a young man. I doubt anyone here would promote "men's" dresses in a western society. And even the robes of the ancient middle east had gender specific components.

I have no problem with churches having dress codes. I just think they should be upfront about it and give their reasoning. I also don't think any church should be telling women what they should wear. If there is an issue with the woman's clothes her husband or father should be the one it is brought up with.

In ancient scottland women were not allowed to wear kilts (even today it is not the correct form of dress). Women had their own specific garments, most of which were ankle length dresses.

It's not about the specific clothing, it's about the men dressing like men and the women dressing like women. That is much more difficult when the culture is trying to blend those two (men and women) together.

If a woman is wearing "women's" jeans and a baggy sweatshirt she probably could be mistaken for a young man. I doubt anyone here would promote "men's" dresses in a western society. And even the robes of the ancient middle east had gender specific components.

I have no problem with churches having dress codes. I just think they should be upfront about it and give their reasoning. I also don't think any church should be telling women what they should wear. If there is an issue with the woman's clothes her husband or father should be the one it is brought up with.
I can appreciate this view, and I agree with this general view. I just don't view women's tailored pants as men's clothing. I just don't.

If others come to a different view, no problem. I just don't think anyone should be dogmatic about it, except in their own household. If a man wants his wife and daughters to wear only dresses, so be it, no problem. I just don't see this as a major issue the church should be wading into, especially since it isn't crystal clear in scripture, as to what exactly men's and women's clothing pertains to.

I just don't see this as a major issue the church should be wading into, especially since it isn't crystal clear in scripture, as to what exactly men's and women's clothing pertains to.
You don’t think that a church has the right to have standards.
You don’t see that you are judging the church’s right to judge?

You don’t think that a church has the right to have standards.
You don’t see that you are judging the church’s right to judge?
On major doctrines of the Christian faith, sure. On minor items not having anything to do with major Christian doctrines of the faith, no. Leave that to the men that head up their families.

On major doctrines of the Christian faith, sure. On minor items not having anything to do with major Christian doctrines of the faith, no. Leave that to the men that head up their families.
How’s about you just leave it up to the particular church?
What business is it of yours to judge them?

You don’t seem to get the irony of your position.

How’s about you just leave it up to the particular church?
What business is it of yours to judge them?

You don’t seem to get the irony of your position.
Individual churches can do whatever they want. They can teach their interpretation of scripture. I personally would not attend one that tried to tell my wife what to wear. That's my job.

If the church has standards, it’d be best if the parishioners understood them and that the church didn’t have to enforce them.
That’s me being optimistic. 😁

I have been a member of such a church, it was only a problem to people who weren’t really “with” the general consensus of the group. They knew that they were fringe.
We had no formal membership, a good 2,500-3,000 attending services.

Except that what determines men's clothes from women's clothes is cultural. Think of Scottish kilts, traditional Japanese clothing, or even the clothes of ancient Israel. They don't match the pants/dresses divide. When it says to not wear men's clothing, it isn't saying to wear dresses.

Don't forget Roman toga which was carried in Jesus time.

Julius Ceaser has promoted some Gauls to Roman Senate. They were being laughted as uneducated morons for wearing trousers, instead of proper Roman dress (toga).

Don't forget Roman toga which was carried in Jesus time.

Julius Ceaser has promoted some Gauls to Roman Senate. They were being laughted as uneducated morons for wearing trousers, instead of proper Roman dress (toga).
I always saw that verse on not wearing what pertains to a woman, as transvestism. That is the abomination I always took from that verse. And those type of people are evidently in the wrong gender's clothes. We don't have to sit and think about that.

Are you guys familiar with
Simon Khorolskiy? I've been enjoying his music lately. Most of it is in Russian (which I don't speak), but I really like his English songs (and enjoy the sound of the Russian ones too).

Now that is epic. Thankyou!

I have to a Mormon and Mennonite service where they are very very clear on dress code. They do the dress code and the concept where all the men on one side of the building and the women on the other side of the building. They do this to eliminate distractions if all the men are dressed the same and all the women are dressed the same it eliminates distractions from God during service time

Compulsory following of a misapplied rule is not a good thing. It's not that dresses are onerous, and it's definitely not hate for Christians who wear them (where did you get that idea?), but a dislike for extra-biblical legalism.

Because my family has born that hate. Not out of compulsion but out of a silent desire to follow the scriptures.

This gets back to the nature of the American church system: it is a merchant system trading money for religious feel goods of salvation. Any Christian who holds themselves to a higher standard threatens the feels of others. This is multiplied all the more in that worldly 'Christian' women who don't want to be told what to do will leave a church if some of the women there dress modestly; and that threatens the pocket book of the church. I have seen all this.

Most are like NBTX11 here, don't want to be told what to do.

Except that what determines men's clothes from women's clothes is cultural.

And in our culture, going back over a thousand years, women wore dresses and men pants. The abandonment of dresses and the adoption of jeans was an adoption of men's clothing, specifically western male work clothing. And it was part of the equality movement. They weren't changing women's clothing, they were adopting mens clothing. A woman who does not wear a dress is wearing men's clothing.

If you want to claim it's all arbitrary then the command is entirely meaningless. But we all know dresses are women's clothing, that's why tranny's adopt them instead of wearing jeans as they used to. A woman in a dress is unambiguously wearing that which pertains to a woman.

It is no coincidence that women today wear pants and also 'wear the pants in the marriage'.

Back