• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Evil Spirits

Any experience with them? I recently came across the terms monitoring and familiar spirits. Does anyone have any sort of classification list on evil spirits? Biblically supported.

I came across this channel and his examples are interesting, but how accurate are they? What do we actually know and can prove with the bible.

Any experience with them? I recently came across the terms monitoring and familiar spirits. Does anyone have any sort of classification list on evil spirits? Biblically supported.

I came across this channel and his examples are interesting, but how accurate are they? What do we actually know and can prove with the bible.

This preacher may be extrapolating somewhat, but I highly appreciate what he has to say in the first video about monitoring spirits. My assumption is that such spirits can be both visible and invisible to us, but in a sense whether human or otherwise such spirits are emissaries of the adversary, and it's consistent with something I regularly assert: the Adversary is powerless over us unless we invite the Adversary in. That invitation doesn't have to come in the blatant form of, "Enter me, Devil, and do as you will;" it can be something much simpler and more subtle along the lines of being foolish enough to share one's vulnerabilities with one who will work for one's destruction with that knowledge.

Along these lines, we have to be careful whom we trust, and we also have to be careful whom we don't trust, because just as it's foolish to spill one's guts to one who will use to to our disadvantage, it's also foolish to take caution to such an extreme that we fail to spill our guts to someone who would be capable of giving us counsel that will allow us to transcend our inner obstacles.

[the CVOT translates the Hebrew more literally in Leviticus 19:31 as 'mediums and wizards' rather than 'monitoring spirits']
The concept of familiar spirits during Ancient (OT) Times was ubiquitous among surrounding religions, so those hearing the concept wouldn't draw a blank like most of us do. This is an interesting, grounded, take that applies the concept to actual human beings who are in a position to learn more about us than we should probably grant them (one of my reasons why I consistently deny my wife's desire to hire a housekeeper), given that not all those who surround us have our best interests at heart.

Some non-Judaic religious traditions utilize the concept of the 'familiar,' which encourages each individual to discern the particular animal spirit with which they identify. Even in those traditions, though, it is essential to choose wisely, because to align with a particular animal that isn't in one's best interest will put one in enemy territory because those who correctly identify with that particular animal will tend to be destructive of one who is improperly identified with that 'familiar.'

Last edited:
Before I met my wife she and part of her family had met with a psychic. The psychic was able to tell my wife something she had been doing everyday when alone, and that was journaling in a book she kept in her bag. The psychic told my wife this secret thing that she knew, tying it in to her deceased brother to lure her in more and more. My wife was astonished, because she didn't even believe in God yet, and here this lady was able to tell her things that no one could of known naturally. I had just arrived in her life at this moment...

If there are monitoring spirits, there would of been one involved in giving information to this psychic. Since we are at war with them it would make sense that they have spirits in their ranks just for the sake of reconnaissance, as it is in true war. And such information can be used to achieve greater purposes.

I do believe that if we have chinks in our armor, uncontrolled temptations, or deceptions in our home, they will try to take advantage of these weaknesses to try and enter in somehow.

Before I met my wife she and part of her family had met with a psychic. The psychic was able to tell my wife something she had been doing everyday when alone, and that was journaling in a book she kept in her bag. The psychic told my wife this secret thing that she knew, tying it in to her deceased brother to lure her in more and more. My wife was astonished, because she didn't even believe in God yet, and here this lady was able to tell her things that no one could of known naturally. I had just arrived in her life at this moment...

If there are monitoring spirits, there would of been one involved in giving information to this psychic. Since we are at war with them it would make sense that they have spirits in their ranks just for the sake of reconnaissance, as it is in true war. And such information can be used to achieve greater purposes.

I do believe that if we have chinks in our armor, uncontrolled temptations, or deceptions in our home, they will try to take advantage of these weaknesses to try and enter in somehow.
Keep in mind, though, that vast percentage of psychics are just charlatans who've learned a few great observational tricks. Generally speaking, we're all a lot more transparent than we realize, so it isn't really the case that so much of our personhood "can't be known naturally;" for example, you'd be amazed at the amount of 'tells' there are for whether or not a person keeps a journal.

Keep in mind, though, that vast percentage of psychics are just charlatans who've learned a few great observational tricks. Generally speaking, we're all a lot more transparent than we realize, so it isn't really the case that so much of our personhood "can't be known naturally;" for example, you'd be amazed at the amount of 'tells' there are for whether or not a person keeps a journal.
I'm aware that they're plenty fakes. This wasn't one of those. She had knowledge on my wife, I've only shared a small part. There are real "psychics" or diviners in tune with devils, this is evidently true biblically as well.

”And it came to pass, as we went to prayer, a certain damsel possessed with a spirit of divination met us, which brought her masters much gain by soothsaying: The same followed Paul and us, and cried, saying, These men are the servants of the most high God, which shew unto us the way of salvation. And this did she many days. But Paul, being grieved, turned and said to the spirit, I command thee in the name of Jesus Christ to come out of her. And he came out the same hour. And when her masters saw that the hope of their gains was gone, they caught Paul and Silas, and drew them into the marketplace unto the rulers, and brought them to the magistrates, saying, These men, being Jews, do exceedingly trouble our city,“
‭‭Acts‬ ‭16‬:‭16‬-‭20‬

I'm aware that they're plenty fakes. This wasn't one of those. She had knowledge on my wife, I've only shared a small part. There are real "psychics" or diviners in tune with devils, this is evidently true biblically as well.

”And it came to pass, as we went to prayer, a certain damsel possessed with a spirit of divination met us, which brought her masters much gain by soothsaying: The same followed Paul and us, and cried, saying, These men are the servants of the most high God, which shew unto us the way of salvation. And this did she many days. But Paul, being grieved, turned and said to the spirit, I command thee in the name of Jesus Christ to come out of her. And he came out the same hour. And when her masters saw that the hope of their gains was gone, they caught Paul and Silas, and drew them into the marketplace unto the rulers, and brought them to the magistrates, saying, These men, being Jews, do exceedingly trouble our city,“
‭‭Acts‬ ‭16‬:‭16‬-‭20‬
This was one of the spirits he talked about in the video.

Not at all accurate, he makes his teachings out of assumptions that are loosely based on Biblical stories.
Delilah wasn’t a monitoring spirit. He is extremely extra-Biblical on the whole monitoring spirits thing.
You can’t cast out spirits by simply fasting.

In my understanding/experience, familiar spirits are usually the spirits that are “familiar” to the person that they hang with and are friends with. These people are hardly ever aware that these spirits are with them.
Something that I heard stated over 50 years ago was that if a woman wears the pants in the family, it is through witchcraft. Which is a form of familiar spirits that she is sure don’t even exist in her life.

Edit: Let me add that the fact that he acknowledges that spirits can be a problem for believers is a huge plus.

Last edited:
Not at all accurate, he makes his teachings out of assumptions that are loosely based on Biblical stories.
Delilah wasn’t a monitoring spirit. He is extremely extra-Biblical on the whole monitoring spirits thing.
You can’t cast out spirits by simply fasting.
I was thinking the same thing, but also haven't really done any deep studies on spirits.

I'd recommend checking out the "Haunted Cosmos" podcast co-hosted by Brian Sauve (also well known pastor, singer, songwriter, Psalter arranger, and co-host of the following also very good podcasts "The King's Hall" and "Bright Hearth".

These guys get pretty deep into all sorts of "extra normal" phenomenon including UFO,s Sasquatch, Ghosts, Giants, Nephilim, Demons, etc coming from a very theologically conservative Reformed (Westminster catechism Presbyterian) viewpoint (which I also generally hold to).

It's pretty entertaining and also informative, though being young guys they get a little goofy sometimes.

Yahushua clearly knew a great amount about such things, and the examples are "legion." There's even a reasonably well-known example of His expertise ("this kind only comes out by prayer and fasting", similarly described in both Mark 9:29, and Matthew 17:21) where certain "Not-Inspired Versions" have been shown to ignore [hide?] key elements.

I didn't watch the videos, but have first-hand experience with a wife, DID aka MPD, and - as it turns out - SRA, that lead me to re-examine many years ago what I once did not believe. Demonic attack is real, and we, particularly as husbands who understand covenant, DO have authority to help.

It's important to "connect-the-dots" we are given in Scripture. I got to know the late Pastor Henry Wright years ago, and highly recommend his work, particularly "A More Excellent Way."

I have a number of other excellent works on 'deliverance' on the shelves, including a series by Horobin, and Derek Prince, but perhaps one of the most 'approachable' is "Pigs in the Parlor," by Frank and Ida Mae Hammond.

I came to understand the concept and reality of 'Satanic Ritual Abuse' later. It's connected with a level of Evil most won't want to accept, and tied to other NOT-PC topics like Operation Paperclip and MK-Ultra, so some will have other reasons to not accept the evidence. It is, however, very real.

Yahushua clearly knew a great amount about such things, and the examples are "legion."
Nicely done.
Overall an excellent post.

PS> (And thanks, Steve) - I should perhaps have mentioned, but it was late, that one of the most valuable features of "A More Excellent Way," is Henry Wright's voluminous indexing and research to back up his findings.

There are in fact many physical symptoms (even maladies, allergies and reactions, 'disease') associated with various demonic attacks and vulnerabilities. Some I remember seeing, and praying about, specifically. And the insight thus gained is important.

PPS> And another aside, but relevant. I got to know him over a period of years, and multiple visits by he and his team to the Front Range for seminars. (I could never get my wife 'B' to go with us, although she admitted and understood the need...which is another part of the story. Such is the level of malevolence we must deal with.) When I first got to know him, we had a number of 'semi-private' (lunch, dinner, etc) conversations that spanned several years.

He initially was very 'mainstream xtian' with regard to the specific issue of food, i.e., pork and shellfish, and believed they were unrelated to the physical symptoms he saw. But, in general, he did NOT reject the "Olde" Testament to the degree too many here seem to, and regard those proscriptions as totally unimportant. Just "not a deliverance issue" (much less 'salvation'.)
'
My position was, and remains, "how can we ask for His protection and deliverance, but not do what He says?" (Yes, he knew the reference, and connection to Luke 6:46.)

The last time I saw him in person, he sought me out during the first break in the day, and we spent a few blessed minutes, during which time he told me how he had shifted that focus of his teaching, after prayer and study for - at this point - several years, directly to the importance of OBEDIENCE. He had seen, and confirmed, the blessing (particularly in the area of 'allergies' and reactions, often referred to as MCS/EI.)

This is an excellent book that helps people understand some of the works of the enemy.
It is in story form and isn’t at all “teachy”
1703449379559.png

Back