• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Exodus 1:7 Polygyny is a survival mechanism against evil and tyranny. Is wealth really necessary or is surviving evil the most important thing?

Euripi Dias

Male
And the children of Israel were fruitful, and increased exceedingly, and multiplied, and were strengthened exceedingly; so that the earth was filled with them. Exodus 1:7
We know that during that period Israel was a servant of Egypt and all men were poor and servants without salary and received only a ration to eat with their families, however polygyny was at a very high level in Israel because the king of Egypt who rose killed the boys and had a huge number of women marrying the men who survived the attacks of the king of Egypt:
Although wealth is necessary to have a big family. The question is: if the children of Israel were married to multiple wives even though they were servants of Egypt and lived in difficult conditions, is wealth really necessary in all situations? or in certain specific situations can polygyny be the answer for the survival of a people against a tyrant g0v3rnm3nt Egypt? I would like to see the comments and I will read.

1). Wealth isn’t necessary
2). All of us are more wealthy than the wealthy of that day.

In my opinion, it is about having a family that honors Yah and is a blessing to the community.
If wealth is increased, that’s just a side effect that one must live with. 😁

Shalom, @Euripi Dias welcome to the forum! Please be sure to post an introduction in the Introductions board.

To your question, wisdom says it is important to gave the resources to adequately meet minimum standards for the women as cited in Ex. 21:10, however there is no requirement anywhere in Scripture to be 'wealthy.'

Shalom, @Euripi Dias welcome to the forum! Please be sure to post an introduction in the Introductions board.

To your question, wisdom says it is important to gave the resources to adequately meet minimum standards for the women as cited in Ex. 21:10, however there is no requirement anywhere in Scripture to be 'wealthy.'
Glad you understood the question. It is really very important to provide what is needed. What I showed in the question was that in some situations polygyny was a survival mechanism against the authoritarianism and tyranny of the world g0v3rnm3nt.

Shalom Peter R

1). Wealth isn’t necessary
2). All of us are more wealthy than the wealthy of that day.

In my opinion, it is about having a family that honors Yah and is a blessing to the community.
If wealth is increased, that’s just a side effect that one must live with. 😁
Thank you for your comment and observation about riches. Shalom

I like to read the scriptures and look for what I haven't seen yet, but it's there, I've never seen it before. Like the treasure hunt

Please be sure to post an introduction in the Introductions board. How do I do that?

I already knew the text of Exodus 21:10. Great text. you have great quotes

I see that God used this mechanism to keep his people alive and strong against tyranny. Even in this passage the men being extremely poor because they were servants of Egypt

Back