• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Fairness and Jealousy

EK8

Female
Most of the time I'm fine with our husband going out and doing things with my sister-wife, or when it's not our night to spend time together. A lot of the time I need a break because our husband has such a huge vision from God that he needs extra help. It's less stress on everyone. I enjoy having someone to help with the kids and having someone to help manage the everyday household items, but recently things have been rough. We own a house that we left almost three hours away and my sister-wife went down south to help with construction. I couldn't go because I have another job besides the business we all own. So I spent 12 days away from my husband during one trip and then he came back for less than a week and then spent 16 days away from him for the second trip.

During those two trips, my husband and sister-wife spent lots of time together and I took care of the kids and helped run the business. So when he came back, less than a week ago, I spent a lot of time (four days) and went on two trips to visit gyms to do Jiu-jitsu. It was great. Then today he takes my sister-wife to a movie, and it rubbed me the wrong way. I felt jealousy creep up and started thinking "well she spent all that time with him this past month. Why does he have to take her out to a movie just because I took two small trips with him out of town?" It's all in my head I know, and it's this idea of fairness I deal with in my head. I know there can't be fairness between the two of us. I have a special needs daughter who needs more attention and can't always be around my husband as much as my sister-wife when he needs someone. I have a second job to support us while we are in this transition phase so my sister-wife is more available.

I still get jealous though and think in my head "well he just spent all this time with her. It's not fair!" I don't want to think this way and I know it's Satan trying to take away my joy and peace that I should have. It took me a couple of years in our marriage to get over the thought of him and her having intimate relations, but now I'm happy they have a healthy happy balanced marriage and it doesn't bother me. I guess I'm venting and just asking for advice or just support. I feel better getting it all out. The last thing I want to do is hold it all in and explode! It's just a trying time and things will be better in the future I know. I love my sister-wife and husband and would not want to be in the marriage alone just being the only wife of my husband. I will keep praying and seeking God for comfort and peace.

I'm going to start by saying, in our marriage, it is just the two of us (right now). So in some ways, I have no advice. I haven't been in your shoes ...

Your feelings are normal and you are allowed to feel those feelings (that goes for everything in life). I think it's how we react to those feelings that matter. You are totally not alone!

First, if I were in your situation I would have a conversation. Try to be open about how you are feeling and don't be afraid to ask for what you need either.

I have found it helpful, when I am feeling similar feelings (about different situations) to focus on what is being done. I could look around the house and be like husband hasn't done x,y,z. But then I remind myself that he has actually done a,b,c,d,e and f! And it helps to shift the focus a little.

Back