• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

FAQ: Morality of PM -- 3 Quick Questions

nathan

Administrator
Staff member
Real Person
Male
When confronted with the topic of Plural Marriage, one is faced with 3 questions, to wit:
  • Is it moral?
  • Is it good for society?
  • What is to be my own level of involvement?
This topic addresses the first of these via 3 simple questions and answers from Scripture. Exhaustive? No. But perhaps enough to set the tone & direction.
1. Does God ever describe Himself as sinful? Even in allegory?

No! God hates sin. It cost Him the life of His Son! He is light, with NO shadow of turning!

Yet, God describes Himself as having 2 concurrent wives in Jeremiah 3 and Ezekiel 23.

Therefore it cannot be immoral.

2. Does God ever tempt men to sin?

No! James 1:13 says, "When tempted, no one should say, “God is tempting me.” For God cannot be tempted by evil, nor does he tempt anyone;"

Yet, in 2 Sam 12, God through Nathan told King David that He had given his master's wives (plural) to him. God did it. David did not do wrong to accept what God offered, right?

3. Does God ever give us laws by which we may SIN in a RIGHTEOUS manner?

Ri-i-i-ight! "Thou shalt not commit murder" ... except between the hours of 2 and 4am on the 3rd Tuesday of a month, using a blowgun?

No! Crazy, right? Yet there are several laws given in Torah regulating the continued practice of plural marriage so that it is equitable for everyone. Not ending it; sustaining it! Eg. Deu 21:15-17.

Related FAQ Topics: