• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

FAQ: Why would a married woman be open to plural marriage?

sweetlissa

Real Person
Female
Why would a Godly married woman be open to plural marriage?

The answers to this question are as varied as the women and men who participate.

The first answer I would have to come up with is that a Godly woman would need to be, by definition, in submission to their husband. If they have a Godly marriage and he is a Godly man, then she must trust that he is following God's lead. Of course, this is easier to say than it is to do, because we are all human.

The second answer for me anyway would be because there are rewards that no one can see from the outside. Each person has different experiences, but the greatest reward is when I have followed God's will and I know that He is pleased with me.

It has been suggested that a godly woman might find more time to be closer to God and find in PM a sister that is a true friend to share God with.

I thought of many answers to what benefits there could be. And friendship and more freedom are definitely there. But...

I have said many times to many women that friendship and more time for ministry and other things are great benefits, but they are not reasons to pursue having a sister/wife.

No woman would ever say, "Hey, I need more time with the Lord so I think we should get a sister/wife." or "I need a best friend, lets go find a sister/wife." Or even, "I need someone to help me with these kids, lets go find a sister/wife." These are unexpected blessings that can come when you follow the leading of your husband who is following the leading of our Heavenly Father. That is the only motivation I can see. The other things are like icing on the cake.

It is kind of like saying, I want to lose weight so I will fast. The fast has to be done with the right goal in mind i.e. getting closer to God. The weight loss that may come is a side benefit. It shouldn't be the goal.

Related FAQ Topics and Links:

Related BF Forum Discussions:

Back