• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

fear of pregnancy?

rustysdove11

Real Person
Female
so this is going to be SUPER personal... but I'm really struggling with weather or not to use contraceptives... my husband and I have been debating back and forth about how we feel, we can't seem to come to a firm decision about weather or not it's ok. I really don't want to have another baby right now, I'm not saying never again, but I seem to get pregnant at the drop of a hat. my fear of becoming pregnant actually diminishes my ability to relax and enjoy making love to my husband, but at the same time I feel like there's a check in spirit because of the contraceptives. I have an almost 7 month old baby and I got pregnant with him when my toddler was only 9 months old. What are your thoughts and feelings? Any advice would be so appreciated!

I just want to say I can empathise with your feelings. About 20 years ago my husband and I were struggling through the same issues. Of course what you ultimately decide is between you and God, but I will share how He convicted us.

We went against the advice of our parents and other elders and stopped using contraceptives. The very name commonly used--birth control--was part of what lead to our decision. We believe God is in contril of our lives and family, not us. Additional we believe God's word when it says, "Children are a treasure from the LORD. Blessed is the man whose quiver is full of them."

It was hard, especially when we needed to tell his parents we were expecting again (5 kids in 7 years), but our family is our greatest blessing, and has been a blessing to many others, especially those grandparents who deemed our faith foolish! We have never gone hungry and God has always provided. He is good.

With my last pregnancy, I was put on bed rest. Because our family was looking to move overseas away from ready medical care, my doctor told my husband I should stop bearing children. She basically said, "You can have more children, or you can have your wife." He chose me. Hopefully he doesn't regret that decision!;)

All I can say is why I am still learning each day: trust Good. Trust your husband.

I would also like to second that this is a decision that is between the two of you and God.
That said, I am happy to share my own experiences, for whatever they are worth.

In the early days of our marriage, right after our first child, I was surprised by the soon after baby return of my monthly cycles. Most of family members enjoyed long breaks from "aunt flo" when nursing. At this point we knew we wanted more children, but had to decide what measures in spacing our family we were comfortable with. I hated the very thought of doing anything that would attempt to prevent something as wonderful as a baby, but I did pray, and ask God to please give me 18 months between births, feeling like that would put me pregnant 50 % of the time, and would let me nurse each baby enough. Our first two boys were 25 months apart, and we did nothing but continue to "practice" making babies after our first. Then when our second was a year old, I miscarried a baby that was due 18 months to the day after his birth. God led me to specifically pray for His will in my life for a week before the miscarriage started, a mercy I am still thankful for, as it made it a lot easier for me to accept. Then my hormones got wacky, and I found progesterone cream helped tremendously, and less then three months after the miscarriage I was pregnant again, with the girl I asked for that has dad's blue eyes. I had another miscarriage after her, then two boys only 19 months apart, then another boy 24 months later, then another miscarriage, then another beautiful boy, and then finally the other girl we had been wanting. I have always been fine with whatever God wanted to give us, and I love our boys! So I didn't ask for a girl, I just told the Lord "you know we would like another girl. If this one is a girl, could we have a little one, like 7 1/2 pounds?" (After having two boys over ten pounds, I thought a baby girl that stayed a bit smaller longer would be sweet.) She was due Dec 21, and the bit of labor I will call false that I had about then, put me into intense feelings of dread of labor and delivery. I had never experienced anything like it, but the very thought stressed me out. My dear Husband read me to sleep with the bible many nights, and I stayed busy and tried not to think about the inevitable. Weeks went by, quite a few of them, and we had to postpone a trip, and make other adjustments as we waited for me to go into labor. I can say I never felt anything was wrong, or worried about the little wiggler under my ribs. When I finally went into labor there was no fear, or anxiety of any kind, and it was a perfect delivery even if we were babysitting cousins, rather then having someone watch our other children. She was born Jan 28th, more then a month after my EDD. and weighed a perfect 7 lb 8 oz which is my smallest ever.....in spite of how late she was. Fastest third stage too, with the placenta delivering before we even cut the cord in maybe 10-15 minutes. Cleanest birth too. Super short cord. Practically no water with her, and the texture of that placenta indicated she was that overdue, not that I had conceived later. Am I ever glad we didn't listen to doctors, induce,or worry about going over. She is now a precocious and precious 5 year old, and such a joy.

I remember somewhere around this time praying and telling God that I wanted as many children as possible in the years I had left to have them. When the older ones start getting to be adults, and you realize how worthwhile all the work of raising them is.....it just was what I wanted to do with my life.
After her, another miscarriage, and I never worried the next time I got pregnant because I had never had two miscarriages in a row. At 12 weeks I spotted, and went on bed rest. We prayed for God's will, and I remember feeling total peace, which was another tender mercy from heaven in hindsight. It cleared up instead of turning into a miscarriage, and the pregnancy progressed without trouble. But I noticed at 17 weeks I was measuring big, and I suspected twins, so after talking to a midwife, we went for our first ultrasound ever at 19 weeks. The ultrasound ruled out twins, but confirmed TRIPLETS! Three little boys, were bouncing around down there, and we went on quite a ride through that pregnancy until they all passed away between ultrasound appointments, and the last ultrasound confirmed why tummy was no longer the center of activity it had been. It was an induced labor that went very well, a funeral, an uneventful recovery, and definitely a time of healing after that.

With the miscarriage before them I lost a lot of blood, and we almost went to the hospital. That took a toll on my Husband. Then losing the triplets, and that was hard on Him too, maybe even harder on Him then on me, because I was not ever afraid of getting pregnant again. We took some time off, by being careful, (no pills or contraceptives used) and just raised the family we had, and I did find it nice to know that for a time there, conception was not really a possibility. I could plan on excersizing, losing a bit of weight, or training a mule without those plans being subject to change when I found myself pregnant again. It did leave me just a little less happy with my love life, and missing the complete freedom that welcoming pregnancy (or being pregnant) had afforded us.
After about two years, hubby was ready to try again, and we had yet another miscarriage. I started spotting at 15 weeks, and an ultrasound showed the baby's development had stopped at 11 weeks. That miscarriage happened in two stages, and we used a bit of a prescription to help my body complete it, and clean out the placenta. Then we took some more time off, and then decided we were up for another pregnancy.
I am 15 weeks now, and hoping of course to be able to raise this one, not that babies on deposit in heaven aren't still blessings.

The hardest thing I have been through was not losing the babies, it was almost having a wonderful woman join our family, and decide she would lose her parents and siblings, and other family members if she did, and back out. That was the worst, because it so seemed like another outcome should be possible, and because I know It was hard on her too. Another reason it was worse was because while most can relate and sympathise with the loss of a baby, very few can even imagine, or would even be told about the wife that almost was.

I have no regrets, but I do have a few questions for God, that may not even need to even be asked once we are raised up incorruptable. I have always been able to see His hand in my life, even, and thankfully especially through the hard times.

I would rather trust His judgment for my life, then ever try to impose my own ideas.

I realize this has been long, and more like a short biography, then advice, but I hope sharing my story may help you somehow.

I heard a quote once that I liked. It said "The Christian ideal has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found difficult, and left untried." Your family size and spacing is personal, and absolutely between the two of you and your maker. I never pass judgment on those who decide to space children, or decide their family is complete, but I do know several families that changed their mind(s) about that, and had to reverse surgeries.....and I know of people who used the pill early in their marriage, and were never able to have children after that, and I will always do what I can to encourage smart people, who value children, to have them!

May God give you both wisdom and courage for this and every decision.
Thanks for letting me (and others of course) share our experiences with you.

There's two things I want to address here, as I can read your post in two different ways.

Firstly, are you concerned about hormonal contraceptives, but not barrier or natural methods? Hormonal contraceptives have a lot of problems with them, including the fact that they can cause an abortion. I would recommend that you don't be on those, there are other options out there for stopping pregnancy if you wish. I can elaborate on this if you want, but short version is to do a search on the Billings Ovulation Method.

Secondly, do you mean not using any form of preventing pregnancy and letting YHWH take complete control of your family size?
This is basically what we do. I get frustrated with how people describe this. For those doing it it's all about how wonderful their little blessings are (and I often say this too, because we get so much flack from people), or for those not doing it they talk about how expensive and impossible it is to raise children and how they're such burdens. Neither of those descriptions are accurate. So, here's the truth, no sugar coating.
It is HARD. I don't have big gaps between my children, even though I've prayed for them. I don't know why, but YHWH wants me to have them really close together. Every time we try to space them out a little bit He takes over and gets me pregnant anyway. Let me give you a run down on just how close my children are.
When James was 5 months old I got pregnant with twins. I then had a miscarriage and lost them both. Once the miscarriage was over I got pregnant the next month. James was 20 months old when Matthew was born.
When Matthew was 7 1/2 months old I got pregnant with Ruth. He was 16 months old and still not walking when Ruth arrived.
When Ruth was 7 1/2 months old I got pregnant with Caleb. When she was 16 months old Caleb was born.
When Caleb was 8 months I got pregnant again, even though we'd decided to try to prevent with natural family planning until he was 12 months. I had a miscarriage again and when that was finished I actually had about a month and a half where I wasn't pregnant or breastfeeding for the only time in the last 10 years. But I got pregnant again pretty quick and had Noah when Caleb was 24 months old. That was one of my hardest pregnancies.
When Noah was 3 months old I got pregnant again with Miriam. I had no time to recover from his pregnancy or birth and my milk dried up due to the pregnancy so I had to put him onto formula and then goats milk. He was 12 months old when Miriam was born.
Having children 12 months apart is incredibly difficult. I lost it, and so Samuel and I decided to prevent but in a way that allowed YHWH a chance to take over if needed. I wanted 2 years without being pregnant, I got 11 months.
When Miriam is 20 months old the baby I am carrying now will be born. I have about a month and a half to go.

YHWH likes to have fun with how he takes over my body and gets me pregnant. For example, one time I was 3 days late for my period, Samuel suggested we go to bed since I could get my period at any moment. That was the night I got pregnant! Or there was the time that I had already ovulated that month and it was over, and we were going away on holiday (sharing a room with the kids...) so we had a quickie before we had to leave, and that's when I got pregnant. Apparently I cannot prevent, no matter how careful we are.
Does it affect our sex life? Yes, absolutely. For a few different reasons. I would love to just have the freedom to do it whenever and not worry about getting pregnant. When I'm pregnant the idea of even wanting to be with my husband goes out the window, and it eventually becomes too painful anyway.
Is there fear? Yes, tonnes of it. Every single time I find out I'm pregnant I totally freak out. I don't want it to be so. I want to go back in time. I don't know how on earth I'm going to handle it. I spend about 3 days crying. Then I totally fall in love with the speck inside of me and am so grateful that I can have children and that I am so blessed to be able to carry them to term and add to our family.

I do not know how I do this, I truly don't. I feel like I am frequently losing it. I am overwhelmed. I struggle to cook healthy meals. I don't have enough time or energy to school the children correctly. But somehow they're all pretty healthy, and they're learning, and when we go out people always compliment me on how well behaved my children are.
I just had another freak out moment and asked Samuel if we could stop having children altogether, or at least make sure we had a larger gap after this one is born. But he said no. I'm upset about that right now. It is his decision, but it's my body and I am so tired.
However, I look at all my children and I love all of them. There isn't one that I wish didn't exist. There isn't one that I'd want to put back. I wouldn't go back and change anything and not have that child in my life. It would be like wishing one of my children were dead. As they get older it gets easier and more beautiful too. For example, Ruth, who is now 6, absolutely LOVES that I'm pregnant. She comes up and hugs my tummy frequently. She talks to the baby. She wants to be there at the birth and even wants to catch him as he comes out (we're going to let her do this if she likes with the help of the midwife). She is so excited talking about holding him and having another baby to care for.
James is now 9 and is very helpful around the house. He can bring in washing from the dryer, wood for both fires, look after his dog etc.
The other children are able to take out compost, bring in wood, do dishes (even if it takes 3 hours...). And I get untold amount of cuddles and love.

One of the biggest problems I have right now is that I need more help around the house, and Samuel is going to step up a bit with that. What frustrates me is that people love to point fingers and say how I shouldn't have so many kids, or that they're a burden, or that I'm crazy and clearly aren't following YHWH. Yet no one offers to help me. People with 2 kids chuck them in daycare and complain that it's so hard having kids, yet I'm at home 24/7 with 6 of them and no time. And it's not even the children that are a burden, it's not the children that are difficult. It's all the other things that need doing.

Genesis 3:16 To the woman he said,
"I will surely multiply your pain in childbearing;
in pain you shall bring forth children.
Your desire shall be contrary to your husband,
but he shall rule over you."

People often quote this as being pain in childBIRTH, but that's not what it says. Childbearing. Pregnancy, labour, birth, breastfeeding, raising, teaching.... It's supposed to be hard.
And here's reality, it's not forever. This is a season. When I walk through a mall with my kids, the old ladies will often come up to me and tell me how wonderful it is that I have 4 or more children (depending on how many are with me). The one regret they have is not having more children. Because 50 years ago they bowed to society and had only 2 or maybe 3 and they hardly see them anymore. So right now it's difficult, but one day I will look back and thank my husband for standing up and leading me, making sure I follow YHWH. And I will never regret any of my children, whether it's 7, or 10, or 20 of them. I'm not collecting cars here, I'm carrying and raising children with souls, children that YHWH brought into this world, children that can lead other people to Him, have children of their own, and make a difference in this world. Each one with a unique personality, a unique outlook on life, a unique way of learning, a unique connection to YHWH, and a unique body. Each one loved and wanted.

@FollowingHim2 our children were spaced out more then yours, and I would still go a little crazy each time I had to juggle a new baby into what I was already doing. Then when the boys got old enough to go to work with dad, we all had to adjust to them being gone on workdays. Family life is like a juggling act on a high wire. You have to try and keep it all going while maintaining some kind of balance. Nothing about that is easy!

Like FH2 said, I too have heard women say they wished they had had more children, but I have never heard a mother of many wish the reverse.

It's funny, but as much food as we go through, my hubby, who does a lot of the shopping gets lots of questions, and comments from folks at the store, or in the shopping line. The other thing I think is funny is how often I get everyone fed, and it seems like someone is missing....like we were short someone somewhere.

@rustysdove11 because I decided early on I wanted children, and I didn't want to worry about it, I have never really dealt with fear of getting pregnant. That is in no way intended as a brag on me, or a judgment on you, it's just the only reality I know.
It was actually kinda nice when I could plan on not being or getting pregnant for a while, and I know when we decide we are done, I will be ok with that too. I just turned 44, and if I had never had another baby I would have been totally content raising what we have. Like FH2 said, each child is unique, and I know you have enough children yourself to know that as a mom you could pour 100% of your love and time into any one of your children....but only if you didn't have the others to care for too. The more you have, the more directions you feel pieces of your heart going, especially when they are old enough to take off on road trips without you. When raising children the days are long, but the years are short. It's best if you learn to enjoy the journey, and dont wait for perfection to be happy.

I sincerely hope you find a course that you can both be at peace with.

Rustysdove, thank you for raising such an important topic and bearing your fears. There are not too many other experiences in life that I believe push and shape your character more than pregnancy, birth, (and then child rearing, of course! :eek:) FH2 and Jolene, your stories are phenomenal. Thank you for sharing them.

Our personal practice is to pull out from about 3 mo. postpartum through about 11 months. I follow his lead...he usually starts to feel convicted around 11 mo, I think, and God gives him a green light. :D So I guess it's a bit of a compromise. We aren't completely taking over control (both of us have children from previous times using that method..lol), but we feel like He's giving us a time frame to focus on the new baby, nursing, etc. This all came about after I got pregnant while new baby was 5 mo. I still nursed him for the full year but it was hard. If we follow this same routine, I suspect they'll be at least a couple more babies. I'm 36 now and have 7. It is a scary, unsureness that goes totally against the grain of our culture and (sin) nature. But smooth seas never made good sailors, right? ;) I think FH2 and Jolene said it much better in terms of spiritual-speak. They are inspirational for sure!

I feel like there's a check in spirit because of the contraceptives
Follow your spirit (or the Spirit perhaps). :) In all aspects of our lives when we give up control and submit, (not my will but thine...) the Father works mightily. For whatever unknown mysteries the verse holds, scripture does contend "her salvation will be in childbearing." And He promises the yoke will be easy and the burden light. Bless you, sister, as you and your husband discern His will.

Thank you for responses, what my hubby and I debate is going off all forms of contraceptive. But I do like what windlown and her hubby do, I like that you give your body time to heal after each baby. Rusty and I definitely feel like we're not done having kids, our family is still missing some people :) I just can't seem to shake this fear of getting pregnant right now, maybe it's the evil one trying to stop what God wants for our lives? I do think that part of my fear stems from how our family reacted to my last pregnancy.... I got cornered in a room when my husband wasn't there and told how I needed to stop having babies. Then those same people have the audacity to coo and love all over the baby I was pregnant with when they cornered me.... I'll just say it's been a lesson in graceful forgiveness. ;)

I get stopped by old ladies too! It always makes me feel encouraged and a little sad. Sad because it seems like women my age (I'm 29) don't appreciate the gift of motherhood.

My perspective is a little different in that we used BC for the beginning or our marriage.. We then began to feel conviction in our hearts.. So we got off of it and got pregnant within a month. It was so special and we were blessed with a sweet child. After his birth, we used condoms on occasion during ovulation and nothing in between. I became very aware of my body so I thought. After about 2 years we decided we were ready to have another.. Well it took about 6 months to get pregnant again. Here I thought we were in control.. But it really comes down to Gods plan. Yes we can try to space or conceive... But it is God that determines it. I have know MANY MANY couple that were on birth control, using contoms, pull out all everything else that STILL got pregnant. Unless you are cutting off all intimacy (which would suck to be honest) you will have a chance to get pregnant.
I have decided in my heart that Gods plans are best, and when He blesses me with babes I will rejoice. Each is a blessing. I'm currently 4 mo pp and we will see when He wants to bless us again, but in the mean time, I am going to fully enjoy sex with my husband and enjoy the fun of it being a little dangerous ;) It's more fun for them that way too.

so this is going to be SUPER personal... but I'm really struggling with weather or not to use contraceptives... my husband and I have been debating back and forth about how we feel, we can't seem to come to a firm decision about weather or not it's ok. I really don't want to have another baby right now, I'm not saying never again, but I seem to get pregnant at the drop of a hat. my fear of becoming pregnant actually diminishes my ability to relax and enjoy making love to my husband, but at the same time I feel like there's a check in spirit because of the contraceptives. I have an almost 7 month old baby and I got pregnant with him when my toddler was only 9 months old. What are your thoughts and feelings? Any advice would be so appreciated!

Just observing that you're really not afraid of pregnancy, you just want to have more control over when it happens.

I understand that. After my sixth baby was born in September 2015 I took a break from intimacy, worked out, lost some of the baby bulge, and concentrated on the babies I already had. It's also nice to be able to pick up and hug your fifty pound daughter and not worry about what it'll do to the baby in your belly.

There's nothing wrong with taking a break. I've used the term "baby factory" in the past because that's what I've felt like and when I finally took a break from the cycle my husband didn't complain. I had almost a year off and when we finally were together again I'll admit that I was as terrified as I'd been the first time because sooner or later everything would change and my body would no longer be my own and etc.

But at the same time I started to feel empty not being pregnant.

Ugh. I guess life isn't easy no matter what you do but if you just let it go and hand up your worries to God then the burden gets lighter.

Hugs!!!

There are ways of taking a break from pregnancy in mono relationship, while still pleasing each other or at least your hubby. The details maybe inappropriate here? No offense but how in the world do you go for a whole year??? Oh, my word. I'd die. I do understand the fear of pregnancy though and how it changes intimacy for the wife. Years ago I was in that boat. I guess for me it's a relationship thing and lets me be close to my husband, to go without would be awkward and lonely.

Back