• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

film industry

DavidKR

It seems to me that since I had graduated with a film degree that others may have similar skills. I would like to see a production company with plural marriage minded people. Have an industry that caters to us.
"David"

There probably are some out there.
The issue of why there aren't more pro-poly shows, movies, ect. is because of broadcasting, not production in my opinion.
Broadcasters are in it for the money (Duh) so the things that aren't popular are pulled.

With the way the internet has changed media you could probably find a 'nitch market to broadcast to.
You never know...

I'm afraid there is only one "niche" market that makes money, and that one truely does exploit women. No need to say more. :?

I would however, love to see a Youtube clip that showed a normal, Christian, Loving, non flds, Biblical Family in a positive light. There are a couple (that I use sometimes to introduce the concept while not suggesting or promoting anything) that are pretty good documentaries, but are flds.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANXeiyGx7To
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OEaRn3uHsc

The only other venue for presenting Plural Marriage honestly in film is "the last bastian of human exploitation" the tv reality shows. I would use actors for the production to protect the lives of real people though. Just because Tila Tequila can sleep with 20 people in one bed, you show honest, moral, Christian, committed, loving, stable relationships and somebody will get arrested!

Interesting thought, Michigans Governor has been giving truckloads of our money to anyone filming movies here. I wonder if the subject matter would matter? Hmmmm.

I would like to see a polygyny friendly series similar to 7th Heaven, myself

The venerable and successful American genre is the sitcom. Sixties productions such as I Dream of Jeannie and Bewitched show what appears to be a standard American household, but where there is a secret. Jeannie is a genie or djinn, and the wife in Bewitched (I have forgotten her name) is a witch. The humour comes from hiding the secret.

A poly version of Jeannie will show an aspiring astronaut (say) with a harem of djinns, and the humour comes from hiding the double secret of having a harem, and where the harem are magical creatures. A poly version of Bewitched would have the same double secret. The harem could be identical twins, which can offer more funny possibilities.

Nothing wrong with presenting polygamy in humorous way.

Big Love also shows the household hiding polygamy from the outside world, but is not meant to be a comedy. Big Love shows a respectable, middle class American household, thus implying that polygamy can be a respectable, middle class American way of life.

Pride, Prejudice and Polygamy

Imagine a polygamous version of Jane Austen’s Pride and Prejudice. Suppose polygamy were legal and accepted in Regency England, and Mr Darcy and Mr Bingley, both rich men, took all the Bennet sisters as a package deal, three girls for Mr Darcy and two for Mr Bingley, or vice versa.

Mrs Bennet worried incessantly about getting her daughters married well, understandably so. Polygamy would make the task of marrying off her daughters much easier.

Why actors? I would be on a reality show. It'll be called countdown till I either go to jail or till the show is over. I have never been afraid of jail. I think any one who went for a length of time isn't. If you go for some thing you believe in then it's not that bad. The law can't arrest us all. They just want you to think that. If it happens though hey why not? We should be ready to defend Our Saviours word to the death.So a little jail time isn't that bad. MLK stayed in jail over and over again as did Mandella, but because of all the attention they had for being there things were changed for the better and their point was heard. Now I would be the first to volunteer. I mean granted my life isn't like a super hero or nothing, but I follow the word of God and stay trying to know him every day not just on sundays.
''
technogeek said:
I'm afraid there is only one "niche" market that makes money, and that one truely does exploit women. No need to say more. :?

I would however, love to see a Youtube clip that showed a normal, Christian, Loving, non flds, Biblical Family in a positive light. There are a couple (that I use sometimes to introduce the concept while not suggesting or promoting anything) that are pretty good documentaries, but are flds.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANXeiyGx7To
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OEaRn3uHsc

The only other venue for presenting Plural Marriage honestly in film is "the last bastian of human exploitation" the tv reality shows. I would use actors for the production to protect the lives of real people though. Just because Tila Tequila can sleep with 20 people in one bed, you show honest, moral, Christian, committed, loving, stable relationships and somebody will get arrested!

Interesting thought, Michigans Governor has been giving truckloads of our money to anyone filming movies here. I wonder if the subject matter would matter? Hmmmm.

The are only several potencial problems with polygyny movie.

1. Lack of will for creating movie

2.Achieving postive cash flow for movie

Second problem has several subset problems.There are :
1. Are there enough potencial customers
2. Cost of customer- can you afford to pay for creation of customer
3.Are customers concentrated enough- if this isn't true then no amount of advertising can reach then
4. Cash cycle-if it is too long movie creators will ran out of money=financial death

There have been film and TV versions of Jane Austen’s Pride and Prejudice, and I suggest an altered story. Suppose polygamy were legal and accepted in Regency England, and Mr Darcy and Mr Bingley, both rich men, took all the Bennet sisters as a package deal, three girls for Mr Darcy and two for Mr Bingley, or vice versa.

Mrs Bennet worried incessantly about getting her daughters married well, understandably so. Polygamy would make the task of marrying off her daughters much easier.

But does it not say that you shouldn't marry sisters? Some thing about they will be competetive?
EnchantedLife said:

There have been film and TV versions of Jane Austen’s Pride and Prejudice, and I suggest an altered story. Suppose polygamy were legal and accepted in Regency England, and Mr Darcy and Mr Bingley, both rich men, took all the Bennet sisters as a package deal, three girls for Mr Darcy and two for Mr Bingley, or vice versa.

Leviticus 18:18 And you shall not take a woman as a rival wife to her sister, uncovering her nakedness while her sister is still alive.

Some take her nakedness to mean that the first sister has not had children yet and to take her sister and have children with her lays shame on the first sister...this may be, I don't know, so I will just let the sister thing be as it is...won't do it unless there is extremely good reason to.

But does it not say that you shouldn't marry sisters? Some thing about they will be competetive?

Lev 18:18 Neither shalt thou take a wife to her sister, to vex her, to uncover her nakedness, beside the other in her life time. (KJV)

Lev 18:18 Thou shalt not take a wife to her sister - Perhaps this text doth not simply forbid the taking one wife to another, but the doing it in such a manner or for such an end, that he may vex or punish, or revenge himself of the former; which probably was a common motive amongst that hardhearted people to do so. (John Wesley note)

From the commentaries that I've been able to read, "to uncover her nakedness" refers specifically to having sexual intercourse with her. However, the prohibition here seems to be not taking a wife's sister to vex the wife. or cause her upset. It would seem to be a specific prohibition against using a wife's sister as an instrument of punishment toward the wife. The phrase, "to vex her," being parenthetical, would make the prohibition apply only in the described circumstance, and thus, not a general prohibition against marrying sisters. One more of the reasons I wish I could read the passage in its original tongue with understanding so that I wouldn't be dependent on the interpretation of others.

Dave

In considering Lev. 18:18 one should, it seems to me, also take Ezekiel 23 into account.

There we find God portraying Himself as the husband of two sisters.

Despite this thread being a couple years old, I couldn't help commenting on how precise the scriptures really can be when needed. With God being outside our time domain, He knew that at some point someone would bring this up. In Ezekiel 23, not only did He show Himself as being married to two sisters, but it even specifies that they were from the same mother. First, establishing that polygyny was a holy union. Second, we get the Holy thumbs up for sisters, in general. Finally, it even eliminated the possibility that they were from different marriages (whether serial monogamy or polygyny).

I just love that. To my knowledge (and admittedly it is limited), there is not one concept that we can conceive of that is not somehow, in some way or fashion, cross referenced in multiple locations in the Bible. Usually, at least one in the OT and at least one in the NT. Case in point is this very example. Cross reference Ezekiel 23 (paired with Jeremiah 3) and Genesis 29, which has Jacob married to two sisters, Leah and Rachel.

(Fun Fact: Jacob and the daughters of Laban were first cousins. Laban was Jacob’s uncle.)

Back