• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Focus on the Family Leader on Cultural Issue of Marriage

Dr. K.R. Allen

Real Person
I found this comment by Focus on the Family concerning the issue over the family and the issue of "marriage." If Daly is right, and if as the rest of the article says this is a prediction to what is ahead, the term itself "marriage" is likely to be so very diluted to a completely different meaning than the idea of the original language in Scripture concerning this idea.

"Realistic conservatives can't expect to prevail in the long-term battle for hearts and minds. Jim Daly, president of Focus on the Family, recently said, "We're losing on that one, especially among the 20- and 30-somethings: 65 to 70 percent of them favor same-sex marriage. ... We've probably lost that."

As the article concluded:

The recent emergence of a majority that favors same-sex marriage constitutes a turning point. So did the battle of Gettysburg — and at that moment, the Civil War was only about half over. The outcome of the gay-rights fight may be discernible on the horizon, but there's a lot of fighting ahead.

Of course, even in this there is hope (see 1 Cor. 13:13). In some way or another God will use what is wrong to bring something out of this which is good (see Eph. 1:11 and Romans 8:28).

See the full article here:
http://www.dnj.com/article/20110601/OPI ... nce-strong

I rely on two things to keep my sanity - the Serenity Prayer and 1 Corinthians 5:12-13.

The Serenity Prayer tells me not to worry about the things that I cannot change but to work on the things I can change. I can't change anyone but myself, and at best if someone respects me I MAY be able to influence them.

1 Corinthians 5:12-13 tells me to focus my efforts of influence on those I fellowship with and leave the rest to God.

So...I try to learn and become a better me (continuing project) and spend my time attempting to influence those around me if and when a little influence is needed.

It is unfortunate that the government and the gay community both feel the need to use the institution of marriage as they have. Each of us will be judged based on our works, and I am reminded of what Ezekiel was told:

Ezekiel 3:18 If I say to the wicked, 'You shall surely die,' and you give him no warning, nor speak to warn the wicked from his wicked way, in order to save his life, that wicked person shall die for his iniquity, but his blood I will require at your hand. But if you warn the wicked, and he does not turn from his wickedness, or from his wicked way, he shall die for his iniquity, but you will have delivered your soul.

Interestingly enough marriage as shown in the scriptures is illegal, yet unions condemned in the scriptures are becoming legal in more and more places...if and when I have the opportunity I will testify to what marriage really is.

Scarecrow said:
I rely on two things to keep my sanity - the Serenity Prayer and 1 Corinthians 5:12-13.

The Serenity Prayer tells me not to worry about the things that I cannot change but to work on the things I can change. I can't change anyone but myself, and at best if someone respects me I MAY be able to influence them.

1 Corinthians 5:12-13 tells me to focus my efforts of influence on those I fellowship with and leave the rest to God.

So...I try to learn and become a better me (continuing project) and spend my time attempting to influence those around me if and when a little influence is needed.

It is unfortunate that the government and the gay community both feel the need to use the institution of marriage as they have. Each of us will be judged based on our works, and I am reminded of what Ezekiel was told:

Ezekiel 3:18 If I say to the wicked, 'You shall surely die,' and you give him no warning, nor speak to warn the wicked from his wicked way, in order to save his life, that wicked person shall die for his iniquity, but his blood I will require at your hand. But if you warn the wicked, and he does not turn from his wickedness, or from his wicked way, he shall die for his iniquity, but you will have delivered your soul.

Interestingly enough marriage as shown in the scriptures is illegal, yet unions condemned in the scriptures are becoming legal in more and more places...if and when I have the opportunity I will testify to what marriage really is.

Awesome response!

We have lost the DEFINITION of the WORD marriage, that is certain. Rather, I would say that the word was hijacked!

Words are important. They communicate ideas, mores, cultural cues, etc. However, words CAN change meaning over time. For instance, the word 'gay' had a totally different meaning 100 years ago than it does today.

It may be necessary for Christians, and particularly those of us who recognize plural marriage, to come up with a NEW word (or words) to describe God's covenant relationship with men and women in building families.

"Covenant" or "Biblical" marriage more closely defines what we seek, but even those words may not fully convey everything we believe.

Blessings,

Doc

Back