• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Following the sign Post that lead to Messiah Berean Style

Nikud

Seasoned Member
Real Person
Male
Im going to leave out most of the Hebrew language markers intentionally to get yall to look it up yourselves in the Original Language. I will be writing out the name of God so if it offends you to see it written please don't read any futher. It may seem disjointed at first but it comes together. I will also be using Gerzera Shavah, equivalent expressions. There is a lot more than what Ill post but the idea is not to show you but inspire you.

Genesis 32:25-31

And Jacob was left alone; and there wrestled a man with him until the breaking of the day. And when he saw that he prevailed not against him, he touched the hollow of his thigh; and the hollow of Yakov’s thigh was strained, as he wrestled with him. And he said: ‘Let me go, for the day breaks.’ And he said: ‘I will not let thee go, except thou bless me.’ And he said unto him: ‘What is your name?’ And be said: ‘Yaakov.’ And he said: ‘Thy name shall be called no more Ya'akov, but Ysra'el; for you have struggled with God and with men, and have prevailed.’ And Yaakov asked him, and said: ‘Tell me, I pray thee, thy name.’ And he said: ‘Why is it that you ask after my name?’ And he blessed him there. And Yaakov called the name of the place Peniel (face of God): ‘for I have seen God face to face, and my life is preserved.’

Hosea 12:5-6

So he strove with an angel, and prevailed;
He wept, and made supplication unto him;
At Beth-el he would find him,
And there he would speak with us;
But יהוה , the God of hosts,
The יהוה is His name.

the Angels name is יהוה , keep that in mind for latter.

Judges 13:2-6

And the angel of the יהוה appeared unto the woman, and said unto her: ‘Behold now, you are barren, and have not borne; but thou shalt conceive, and bear a son. Now therefore beware, I pray thee, and drink no wine nor strong drink, and eat not any unclean thing. For, lo, thou shalt conceive, and bear a son; and no razor shall come upon his head; for the child shall be a Nazirite unto God from the womb; and he shall begin to save Israel out of the hand of the Philistines.’ Then the woman came and told her husband, saying: ‘A man of God came unto me, and his countenance was like the countenance of the angel of God, very awesome; and I asked him not whence he was, neither told he me his name;

the Nazirite here has nothing to do with Yeshua being Nazeret.

15-18

And Manoah said unto the angel of the יהוה : ‘I pray thee, let us detain thee, that we may make ready a kid for thee.’ And the angel of the יהוה said unto Manoah: ‘Though thou detain me, I will not eat of thy bread; and if thou wilt make ready a burnt-offering, thou must offer it unto the יהוה .’ For Manoah knew not that he was the angel of the יהוה . And Manoah said unto the angel of the יהוה : ‘What is thy name, that when thy words come to pass we may do thee honour?’ And the angel of the יהוה said unto him: ‘Why do you ask after my name, since it is wonderful?

We learn that it was the Angel of יהוה that Ya'akov wrestled with the Angels name is wonderful. Isaih 9:5(6) depending on your bible gives more details on the Angels Name.

In both Scriptures Genesis and Judges the mysterious Angel is called a man.

Isaiah 7:14
Therefore יהוה Himself shall give you a sign: behold, (HaAlmah) the young woman shall conceive, and bear a son, and shall call his name Immanuel.

Immanuel means God with Us.

Its important that Almah is used here because it shows that she will be Young.

Isaiah 9:6

That the government may be increased (“l'marbeh l'marbeh לםרבה למרבה.”) , And of peace there be no end,
Upon the throne of David, and upon his kingdom,
To establish it, and to uphold it
Through justice and through righteousness From henceforth even for ever.
The zeal of the יהוה of hosts doth perform this.

So Isaiah 9:6 the Ruach HaChodesh inspired Yeshayahu to break the rules of Hebrew grammar and write “l'marbeh l'marbeh לםרבה למרבה.” The lamed ל prefix means "to" or "for." The first letter of the word is them men sofit ם, the closed mem; I.e. the closed womb of a virgin.

Thus letting us know that the Almah will be a virgin. How?

The word l'marbeh is taught by the jewish sages to be an allusion Messiah. since the Mem Sofit represents either a barren womb or a virgin womb we know that it means the Almah will be one. Hind sight we know that it ment Virgin.

The mem and the mem sofit are both in the word water Mayim (myM). The numerical value of Mem is 40 as in the time from conception to birth. Also the word em or Mother.

So why Almah instead of Bethula?

A bride for Issac (Remember he is a fore shadow of Yeshua in many ways)

Genesis 24:40-44

And he said unto me: יהוה , before whom I walk, will send His angel with thee, and prosper thy way; and thou shalt take a wife for my son of my kindred, and of my father’s house; then shalt thou be clear from my oath, when thou comest to my kindred; and if they give her not to thee, thou shalt be clear from my oath. And I came this day unto the fountain, and said: O יהוה, the God of my master Abraham, if now Thou do prosper my way which I go: behold, I stand by the fountain of water; and let it come to pass, that the maiden that cometh forth to draw, to whom I shall say: Give me, I pray thee, a little water from thy pitcher to drink; and she shall say to me: Both drink thou, and I will also draw for thy camels; let the same be the woman (almah) whom יהוה hath appointed for my master’s son.

Genesis 24:15-16

And it came to pass, before he had done speaking, that, behold, Rebekah came out, who was born to Bethuel the son of Milcah, the wife of Nahor, Abraham’s brother, with her pitcher upon her shoulder. And the damsel was very fair to look upon, a virgin (bethula), neither had any man known her; and she went down to the fountain, and filled her pitcher, and came up.

The Almah was a Bethula.

Exodus 2:8

And Pharaoh’s daughter said to her: ‘Go.’ And the maiden (almah) went and called the child’s mother.

Who was this Almah? Miryam. The Child is Moshe a foreshadow of Yeshua. It was His sister that stood watch over Him as He was in the Mayim, water, it was Miryam that was there when he came out of the water. Symbolic for Birth.

From This we know that The Almah who is a Bethula's name will be Miryam.

What is the Name?

When Moshe is about to pass away he calls Hoshea son of Nun and like The Angel of יהוה gave Ya'akov a new name, gives Him a new Name Yehoshua. In Nehemiah and Ezra Yehoshua is called Yeshua. Moshe could not complete leading Ysra'el to the Promises of God, only show them the way. It fell upon Yehoshua to lead Ysra'el into the Promise land.

Zechariah 3

1 He further showed me Yehoshua Kohen Gadol (High Priest), standing before the Angel of יהוה, and the Accuser standing at his right to accuse him.

Still speaking of the High Priest Yehoshua.

Zechariah 6:12

Then say to him, ‘Thus says יהוה Tzva’os, “Behold, a man whose name is Branch (Tzemach) , for He will branch (Tzemach) out from where He is; and He will build the Temple of יהוה.

Tzemach is recognized a tittle for the Messiah. So Here's the same verse with the Short Version of the name Yehoshua and tittle plugged in.

Then say to him, ‘Thus says יהוה Tzva’os, “Behold, a man whose name is Yeshua, for He will be the messiah from where He is; and He will build the Temple of יהוה.

I hope you enjoyed and are inspired. I can cover any details that are fuzzy or point you in the right direction if your looking to find the sign post.

Last edited:
יפה!

@Nikud may I copy/paste to my blog? There are a couple typos I'll fix...

Yes please do, now I noticed the typos and a few errors. Only a few can i blame on autocorrect.

יהוה I know this name but will not use it here in this category, for fear of offending those here.

What is the representation of the name of the Son of God in Hebrew?

ישוע, with vowel pointing יֵשׁוּעַ

Yeshua (Josh in English) name יְהוֹשֻׁעַ Yehoshua or Joshua in English

Side note because it touches the subject.

BTW, not to offend the sacred namers but to shed some truth on the subject, when scripture says that the messiah will have His name in Him. It's not saying that God's name has to be in Messiahs name. The word Shem, which means name also means characteristics.

My point in this is because I have never been able to find a rational (at least for me) explanation why the name of the Son of God is not Yahshua instead of Yeshua. I mostly choose to us the term Son of God because I don't know for sure which is right. I know that the name Jesus is not. Your BTW comment is interesting.

My point in this is because I have never been able to find a rational (at least for me) explanation why the name of the Son of God is not Yahshua instead of Yeshua. I mostly choose to us the term Son of God because I don't know for sure which is right. I know that the name Jesus is not. Your BTW comment is interesting.
I’m not going to claim to be hyper studied on this but my understanding is that both are correct. Yeshua is simply a shortened version of Yahshua and is likely what he would have been called when he walked this earth.

@Nikud could definitely speak more intelligently about it than I.

I have always been under the impression that the name Yeshua is a translation of the name Jesus in Hebrew. And since the name Jesus is wrong that would make the translation wrong as well, but contextual. Yahshua would be the correct transliteration of the term Jesus, or I guess the reverse. But, like you I have limited knowledge.

The proponents of the Yahshua form claim that the Messiah’s name was the same as Joshua’s, written [יְהוֹשֻׁעַ or יֵשׁוּעַ (the shorten version] . The only problem is that neither of these Hebrew spellings of Joshua’s name can possibly be pronounced "Yahshua." The third letter in Joshua’s name (reading from right to left) is the letter vav and a vav cannot be silent. The letter vav must be pronounced as either a "v" as a constanent or an "o" or "u." as a vowel. In the case of Joshua, it takes an "o" sound, giving us "Ye-ho-SHU-a."

The English form Jesus is comes from the New Testament Greek name Ihsouß, pronounced "Yesous."

But how do we get the Greek Yesous from the Hebrew Yehoshua?

Someone who reads the Bible in Hebrew, though, knows that the name Joshua sometimes appears in its shortened form, Yeshua (יֵשׁוּעַ) in Neh. 8:17 it is apparent even in English: "Jeshua the son of Nun." (The letter J was pronounced like a Y in Old English.) Strong does not tell the reader that the Greek Yesous is actually transliterated from this shortened Hebrew form, Yeshua, and not directly from the longer form Yehoshua. The process from "Yehoshua" to "Jesus" looks like this:

Hebrew Yehoshua à Hebrew Yeshua

Hebrew Yeshua à Greek Yesous

Greek Yesous à English phonetic Jesus

A better English Translation is Joshua

One of the things that I understood which is related to you BTW, " messiah will have His name in Him. " It is put forth that the reason it's Yahshua is because of the shorten name Yah of His Father. Yehsua and Yah* don't seem to fit.

Not sure if Yah is offensive.

Between the Greek Iesous is the Latin Jesu. (A side note, the Greeks don't end words with vowels... hence the 's' on the end.

Using transliteration, Hebrew to Greek to Latin to English we get Yeshua, Iesous, Jesu, Jesus....

@Cap, consider it this way... Humans are lazy on enunciation. Say 'Yahshua' and then relax your mouth and let it rip... the 'a' vowel natural morphs to an 'e'... It's how southerners get such a bad rap...

Between the Greek Iesous is the Latin Jesu. (A side note, the Greeks don't end words with vowels... hence the 's' on the end.

Using transliteration, Hebrew to Greek to Latin to English we get Yeshua, Iesous, Jesu, Jesus....

@Cap, consider it this way... Humans are lazy on enunciation. Say 'Yahshua' and then relax your mouth and let it rip... the 'a' vowel natural morphs to an 'e'... It's how southerners get such a bad rap...

Dont forget the old English step as well there was no j sound until a couple hundred years ago...

Humans are lazy on enunciation. Say 'Yahshua' and then relax your mouth and let it rip... the 'a' vowel natural morphs to an 'e'... It's how southerners get such a bad rap...

Depends on how much moonshine you have had for that to work.

Just so you know, I didn't want to look silly so I waited till <wife> left the room. But, I don't think I am doing it right, still comes out Yahshua. Yeshua just seems really hard for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
The proponents of the Yahshua form claim that the Messiah’s name was the same as Joshua’s, written [יְהוֹשֻׁעַ or יֵשׁוּעַ (the shorten version] . The only problem is that neither of these Hebrew spellings of Joshua’s name can possibly be pronounced "Yahshua." The third letter in Joshua’s name (reading from right to left) is the letter vav and a vav cannot be silent. The letter vav must be pronounced as either a "v" as a constanent or an "o" or "u." as a vowel. In the case of Joshua, it takes an "o" sound, giving us "Ye-ho-SHU-a."

The English form Jesus is comes from the New Testament Greek name Ihsouß, pronounced "Yesous."

But how do we get the Greek Yesous from the Hebrew Yehoshua?

Someone who reads the Bible in Hebrew, though, knows that the name Joshua sometimes appears in its shortened form, Yeshua (יֵשׁוּעַ) in Neh. 8:17 it is apparent even in English: "Jeshua the son of Nun." (The letter J was pronounced like a Y in Old English.) Strong does not tell the reader that the Greek Yesous is actually transliterated from this shortened Hebrew form, Yeshua, and not directly from the longer form Yehoshua. The process from "Yehoshua" to "Jesus" looks like this:

Hebrew Yehoshua à Hebrew Yeshua

Hebrew Yeshua à Greek Yesous

Greek Yesous à English phonetic Jesus

A better English Translation is Joshua

that’s really helpful thank you.

Back