• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Foods that we eat?!

sharonr

Just watched a great video on Netflix called Hungry for Change.
This was all about the foods on the market. Bassicaly all just man made , scientific, crap that we are not getting enough nutrients from. Therefore eating more and getting fat. The U.S. has 68% of people who are obese. Alot of other countries are not fat, and don't allow our food in their country because they know its not healthy. Sugar is addictive, and its giving us too many diseases. It's the chemicals their putting in foods to make us addicted. The video was really thorough. Me annd my husband ate organic for one month and got skinnier than ever. We were eating at whole foods. We plan on continuing eating at whole foods in a less expensive way, by just eating simple meals, and mostly fruits and veggies, and organic meat, and doing some juicing which detoxifies you. That video answered alot of questions, and I know God led us to it. My husband found the video and we are ready and hungry for a change in our diet.
When I ws eating at whole foods I digested my food at least 3-4 times a day. That was not normal for me, so I was exstactic. While eating regular foods my food takes about a day to digest, sometimes 3-4 days to digest, and it makes me tired, and left with no energy. I know there is other people out there who go through this, I wil keep you updated about our journey.

I want to know about some vegetables that some of you may eat. I am tryingto incoroporate variety of vegetables, nuts, seeds, ect.
Parsley, brooccli all green leafy things, but what else, and also chia seed has anybody tried those? Any fruits, or vegetables that you had and how you cook them, would be great. I gotta do research, so, bye for now.

Have you heard of bulgar wheat? Its a rice alternative and you can make a veriety of things with it, like rice, rice cereal for your infants, and a great alternative to oatmeals, ect.... As also these regular baby cereals are loaded with GMO's. I have looked up some great recipes for it too. I have not tried it yet, but plan to very soon.

Flax seed? You can buy them in whole form or grounded up. I personally like the taste of them whole better, but a lot of people choose to buy them grounded up so that they can sprinkle some on their oatmeal. If you buy it grounded up it requires some of you taste buds to get used to it for it heavy and it has a different taste to it.

Spirulina? Wounderful super food. The kind I get is found off the coast of Japan. And esentially is a blue green algae. It is not great tasting at all. My husband loves it in his orange juice, but as for my self the only way I can get it down my throat is in a smoothy. You also can get it in a gel cap form which is of course the easiest way to get it down your throat, but the body has an easier time absorbing and getting the immediate use out of the great stuff in it is by the regular powder form. It is great as a powerful detoxifier, an abundance of antioxidants, it's main job is not for digestion, but it has helped my digestion a great deal (I have digestion problems and have since I was a toddler), it also not for pain management, but I did have a head ache once and had me a spirulina shake and it cured my head ache much faster then taking over the counter pills, it also raises the bodies PH levels, in which I can go on and on about this subject, but if you want more info let me know. I highly recommend this product to those who are vegitarian such an excellent source of nurtrients for them. Oh I have even added it to my cooking meals and none of my family members have ever noticed (besideds my husband for he loves it very much), but it is vertually tasteless to cook with and I bet even the pickiest eaters would be able to notice. But if you cook with it, it will change the color of your foods so use in small amounts. My husband even sprinkles some on his eggs in the morning. Great way to start the day.

Chia seeds of course are becoming popular as another source of nutrients. I was watching Doctor Oz show on tv and they are finding out it is another super food. Soon I plan to sprinkle some of those on my oatmeal in the morning.

Sunflower seeds? This simple, delicious, but nutritious food to eat and very versatile. My husband snacks on them all the time and it has also has helped him lose weight I buy lots of seeds for him lol. There is also another by product from sunflower seeds with is Saflower oil. It's an oil made from sunflower seeds and is great to cook with and in my opinon the healthiest oil to cook with. If you are still using Canola oil I highly suggest throwing it away ASAP and get better oils to cook with.

I pray that you don't use Margarine? This is THE worst butter for you on the market. When it was first developed farmers fed it to their turkeys to try to make them fat. The turkeys ate it for a short while then the turkeys stopped eating it. So what did the FDA do they decided to chemically alter it more then said oh we will feed it to Americans. It was though an ugly grey clayish color and consistancy so they added a bunch of crap to make it more apealing to people. Then the FDA ran commercial after commercial telling us that regular butter is too much in fat and we should use margarine cause it's better for us. It is and I kid you not one molecule off of from being PLASTIC!!!!!!! If real butter is too expensive in your area make your own butter. All it is, is cream and salt whipped up together.

Just a little food for thought, I've got lots of things floating around in my brain though and I can teach anyone who needs help being more healthy.
You watched a great movie, but there is more.
Have you seen Food Inc? It's on Net Flix or at least it was. I do warn you though it is sad, but boy did it open my eyes about our food system. And it talks about GMO's.
Sounds like you are off to a great start though.

~Asia

High quality meat raised properly from a local producer and raw milk or cheese are both excellent additions to a healthy diet.

Asia: For interest's sake,

Safflower oil will still develop trans fats when heated. The only "vegetable" oil which does not is coconut oil. While it is more expensive, it has multiple other health benefits as well. Do a bit of research online. It is really quite astonishing!

However, I agree that sunflower seeds are wonderful. I make "milk by putting raw almonds and sunflower seeds (sometimes raw pumpkin seeds as well) in the blender with water. Nice if you can give them time to soak first, but not mandatory. Tastes great.

Oh, there are a few things that do not seem to fit well with coconut oil. For instance, some folks don't like the scent or flavor of eggs fried or scrambled in it. In those instances, butter is probably the healthiest alternative, followed by olive oil.

Olive oil is so healthy, particularly unheated, that there are cultures who consider it a medication. some even drink it straight, as a beverage. I'm not there, but will admit that eggs with caraway seeds mixed in then scrambled in the most flavorful olive oil I can find is highly delicious.

Some of those other things you mentioned, such as the spirulina, have been of great help to me as well.

On the flax seed ... you can get a pretty decent electric coffee grinder from Walmart for around $10. It's basically a very high speed, small capacity blender that will reduce the beans to powder, or a rougher grind, depending on how long you let it run. Most of my family members have them and use them to grind their flax seed right when needed. They say it preserves the nutrients better. I also use mine to grind nuts and seeds if I want to include them in cooking. One experiment which actually worked pretty well was to grind beans into powder before cooking to see if they would cook faster. *shrug* It's fun to experiment.

Ouch! That kind of hurt.

You missed the point I was making Cecil. I was stressing the point that most Americans buy canola oil because 1. it's very easy to get and 2. it's very inexpensive. But canola oil doesn't come from anything. And yes there probably are better oils then Safflower oil, but it comes from something like sunflower seeds and yes I agree with you 100% that olive oil is a great choice and I do use it, but I like having an assortment of oils and use different ones for different applications like not one single oil is going to give you the exact flavor your looking for in every single meal. And for the record I do do a lot of research and in fact in my spare time that is all I do sometimes is reasearch healthy eating and have been doing this for the past 5 years, but oils is one thing I have not researched too entirely deeply on. But surely G-D will bring me to that subject when it is time. And as for coconut oil I will not use even though it may be a great cooking oil cause I cannot stand the taste of coconut at all, it makes me gag or even vomit. And also if I may add you do need some fats in your diet. If you admit all fats from your diet your going to have some dire consequences and granted yes there are good fats and bad fats, but I highly doubt Safflower oil is going to kill you. But none the less I'll research it to see. So I do ammend what I said should have said among the best oils and by far better then canola oil.

~Asia

Charity, where do you buy your food from? Are you organic or a conventional eater?

Well I absolutely prefer to grow my own vegetables, but right now I can't grow and last summer my crop didn't do too well it was way too hot and dry.

But my greatest alternative is going to a local farm preferably organic and ask them to make me a good deal on their #2 items (items that they cannot sell due to slight damage or a blemish, but still good to eat and sell to the public at a very reduced price), but however buying straight from an organic farm specifically #2 items could be a challenge cause it is a risk to their certification but you could get blessed to for they may give it to you for free. It is always worth a try, but if anything you can buy from a regular farm. But in the store it is very hard to tell if something is truely organic. There is a lot of false labeling so if I have to purchase from the store it becomes a game between the L-rd and I. I scrutinize nearly everything at the store and the L-rd tells me if buying organic is worth the price of what I am wanting or if I should just buy the cheaper and non organic. Farmers markets are great in the summer time too.

So I guess I buy organic and convential way.

~Asia

CharityNeverFaileth said:
Ouch! That kind of hurt.
I apologize, Asia. Definitely NOT my intent. Not knowing you well, I thought I was sharing info that you may not have known as yet.

And I do know, but had forgotten, that some folks dislike or are actually allergic to coconut. Sorry. Shoulda considered that.

And yes, Safflower is prolly better than canola as far as I know. I used to use several different oils myself, but nowadays have it pretty well narrowed to mostly butter and coconut for cooking, and olive and sesame for cold flavoring, though the latter two occasionally end up in hot dishes as well. But that's just me.

Aisa
Canola is another name for rape. There is wild rape and regular rape. They take the seed, heat and press it to get the oil. Here is our web address
http://www.crumfarms.com take a look around at what we grow. We are adding more products all the time. I feel sorry for people that have to eat food from the store. This government has let the food supply get completely adulterated for a dollar.

Dairyfarmer

Okay I stand corrected. I thought I read somewhere theat it didn't come from anything. So I am sorry if I had misled anyone. But I don't know how it is processed on your farm, but the canola oil that is purchased at the store is not what anyone would want to ingest. And comes with lots of health risks. As for my family I won't buy it, I want them to stick around as long as G-D wants them to.

Look at this website.
http://breathing.com/articles/canola-oil.htm

And Cecil: Your appology is accepted and I forgive you. And as I am thinking and praying and doing research on cooking oils I am actually considering using hemp seed oil for cooking. It's naturally rich in Omega 3's and 6's, I mean why not?

~Asia

IS ORGANIC SUGAR UNHEALTHY AND ADDICTIVE like regular unconventional sugar.
If you know the answer please reply. I want to know. I am wanting to convert to only honey, but still want to know the truth about this.
Thank you.

Charity, tahnks for the info on canola. I was told a couple years ago to use canola instead of vegetable oil. Now hearing that conola is bad for you. so canola oil is a gmo food/ Since its chemically engineered. We use olive oil now. The goverment is trying to kill us. Research their doing's and you''ll find out.

Over the past 20 years, I have worked on finding the best possible ingredients for my family's diet. I'm sure there are things on my list that won't be on other people's list, and that's OK. Each person needs to figure out what is best for their family and their lifestyle.

Here are the items we use for our diet.

Meat: We grow our own turkey, chicken, beef and lamb.

Dairy: we produce our own goat's milk. In the past, we have had a dairy cow and made some cheese and butter.

Veggies: We grow a big garden, eat our own fresh veggies from March to November, can and freeze the rest. We purchase as much produce as we can afford in the off months.

Grain: We do whole wheat everything, and buy bulk grains from a local store that sells bulk.

Oils: Coconut, Olive, butter and some palm oil.

Sugar: Sucanat (evaporated cane juice) for baking, honey and maple syrup for other sweetening.

Drinks: WATER!!!! Raw goat's milk. I drink some coffee, and occasionally I make tea.

I bake almost everything from scratch, thus eliminating processed foods from our diet. We aren't perfect, we still eat "junk" every now and then, I don't always buy organic because I can't always afford it, but our goal is to do the best with what we have.

sharonr said:
IS ORGANIC SUGAR UNHEALTHY AND ADDICTIVE like regular unconventional sugar.
If you know the answer please reply. I want to know. I am wanting to convert to only honey, but still want to know the truth about this.
Thank you.

It depends on the company. There are so many miss labeled things and loop holes that companies can do to say they are organic. Like for instance Sara Lee bread they have listed ONE thing in their ingredients that is organic and the rest is synthetics or GMO's, but it fits the critera for an organic name or label on it. Most sugars you buy are bleached. Cane sugar is better for you then other sugars, but still bad for you and addictive. There is a sugar that I think you can only buy in packets that is unbleached and is better for you then other sugars and it is called Sugar in The Raw have not tasted it or anything like that, but my cousin swears by it. There is a plant that I am going to grow that I just love its called Stevia it is from South America's and mostly grown in Africa, but can be grown outside or in a pot inside nearly anywhere. Not sure how to process it in such way to use in baking and such, but you pluck the leaves off and put it in your hot teas maybe other uses. I have just plucked a leaf off and just popped it in my mouth great sweet taste just like sugar. Its amazing. There is a product called Truvia and supposedly its a refined sugar from the plant. If you ask me though I do not trust it, if your interested I'd just grow it myself and figure out its uses. I'd becareful about honey. Buy local and from a trust worthy farm honey gets adulterated all the time.

sharonr said:
Charity, tahnks for the info on canola. I was told a couple years ago to use canola instead of vegetable oil. Now hearing that conola is bad for you. so canola oil is a gmo food/ Since its chemically engineered. We use olive oil now. The goverment is trying to kill us. Research their doing's and you''ll find out.

Yes canola oil that you buy from the store is a GMO product and so is nearly every thing else we buy from the store is. According to a certain site that I just looked at, it says that 70% of our food supply is GMO's of some sort, but I have a very long list of all products that have GMO's in them or are GMO's and can share with you if you are interested. And it seems to me that this 70% of products from the store could actually be even more.

My source:
http://vanessaruns.com/2011/02/08/gmos- ... anola-oil/

Sugar in the Raw is available in 2lb boxes in most grocery stores.

Sucanat is available in health food stores, it is evaporated cane juice and is the most unrefined sugar you can buy. It is also called rapadura sugar. All of the vitamins and minerals that are in molasses are still present in Sucanat. It is in a granular form and is medium brown in color. Be careful when buying Sucanat, there is a brand in the health food store that simply takes organic sugar and adds molasses back to it. This is not a product I would recommend, even though they use the name evaporated cane juice.

Turbinado sugar is a bit more processed than rapadura, but is still a good product. It is in crystal form and golden colored.

Unbleached sugar is better than white sugar, but is pretty processed.

Thanks sola scripture. Just kind of confused, like is it the chemical they use for pesticies to make ssugar addictive. Heck, I hav been addicted and always wonder why I want sweets. I even fasted on no sweets because I feel like I like them more than any food............. But I'm trying to transform and get to the root, sugar....... no real answer but just gonna use a differnt sweetner. I had a few sugar canes, had no clue of what to do with them. So sucunat evaporated cane juice sounds a litter better than crystals. Because all the cane has in it is juice. :arrow: :roll: :eek:

It is difficult because there is sugar in everything. I am in the habit of reading labels but some people are not and automatically pick up things which say 'low fat, low calorie' etc but it is the actual sugar content in grams you need to read. If you measured that out on a scale it is easy to see just HOW over sugared most commercial food is. I prefer to eat as little processed food as possible.

You should get a book called "Eat This Not That" It has helped me a great deal on how to properly read labels and to know about the loop holes they can jump through to put certain things on their label. Its like a help guide to shopping at the grocery store.

~Asia

I would consider looking into taking some herbs for your pancreas if you feel like sugar is addictive to you. I love sweet things, but can go for days without eating sweets, but if my pancreas is weak, I will crave sugar much more than normal. This is when I will take herbs to strengthen the pancreas.

Back