• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Foods that we eat?!

sharonr said:
IS ORGANIC SUGAR UNHEALTHY AND ADDICTIVE like regular unconventional sugar.
Yes. Sugar is sugar. I agree with other posters that raw sugar is a whole lot better than bleached stuff, because it still has the nutrients in it. But it still contains exactly the same sugar, it's got the same energy in it, if you eat too much of it it will make you just as fat... In sensible amounts it will be better for you however, and it tastes great.

There are a lot of misunderstandings floating around about organic vs conventional food. Most scientific studies show no difference between the two nutritionally. Any commercial grower whether organic or conventional has to ensure high productivity in order to turn around a profit, and they have to do this by applying both fertilisers and pesticides. The specific fertilisers and pesticides they use are different, that's all. For instance, conventional apples use fungicide sprays to reduce disease. Commercial organic apples use copper sulphate spray as a fungicide. Both work, because both are toxic to the disease. The fact that copper sulphate is more "natural" doesn't change the fact that it is used because copper is a heavy metal that in high enough concentrations is toxic and can kill. Some of the decisions about what is acceptable and what is not for commercial "organic"-certified production are rather questionable.

However there is a lot of nutritional difference between home-grown food and commercial food. When you are producing your own food, you don't generally push for the high levels of production in a commercial environment. Food grows slower and is more nutritionally dense. You may choose to use no pesticides at all (unlike the commercial organic grower, who will use some, just "organic certified" ones like copper).

I agree margarine is harmful rubbish. We use butter or coconut oil instead, both are far tastier and better for you. We eat our own meat, but I haven't got our garden set up properly yet so we buy most other things. I'm slowly planting an orchard, and hope to one day have more time to grow much of our own food. Home-grown food is so much better than bought stuff.

Continuing on my whole food diet..... Again I have been eating mostly all organics, it doesn't help that whole foods is not right down the street, but we have to make that run to continue eating this way. I have been less hungry, and desiring more healthy meals, because of the way they make me feel. I'm not so hungry for processed pizza, or packaged junk. Everything from scratch. Ready to make some whole wheat biscuits now, from organic whole whest pastry bread. I have this butter called Ghee, its made from only milk. I still haven't figured out what sugar to use, so just using honey, can't wait to come across a bee hive and get local honey. Yea, but what's the odds of that. I liike sweets, and enjoy baking so I have to have a sweetner that works, just don't want to get addicted again. Lol. I'm not kidding, those packaged chips, brownies, and so on just have you going crazy. The video Hungry for change explains that you will be less hungry because your getting the real nutrients your body needs and not empty nutrients that just take away from your energy. The chemical based foods seem to not keep you feeling full, because it's mostly processed. All of this is based on experience and other view points.

I want to start blogging, can't put all my thoughts on a forum. Moderators you should have a blog connected to this polygany site :)

We eat our own meat, but I haven't got our garden set up properly yet so we buy most other things

I bet it's fun to have and care for your own meat, what meat do you have, from the farm?

We eat mainly mutton. We live on my father's farm, and get cull ewes to butcher for the house. I find sheep are the ideal size to deal with at home. If you go to all the fuss of killing and butchering a bird or a rabbit, you get only one meal out of it. It's not that much more effort to butcher an entire sheep, and that will feed the family for ages. Yet it's still small enough to easily handle alone, it doesn't have the complexity of a cow or a pig. A ewe gives you twice the meat of a lamb, and has more flavour, it's just tougher so needs to be cooked a bit longer.

All butter is made from only milk. However ghee is a particularly fancy cooked and filtered version of butter - it's clarified butter, where the milk fat is separated from the water and milk solids that typically remain in standard butter. So Ghee is pure fat, while butter is mainly fat with a few other traces of milk in it.

Did you know you can make your own ghee from regular butter? It's pretty simple, and probably a lot cheaper.
http://www.realbakingwithrose.com/2011/08/butter_solution_for_the_lactos.html

The main advantage of ghee is that it contains little lactose, so you can use it if you're lactose intolerant. If you can eat lactose, probably simplest to just stick with cheap butter. But if you like the taste of ghee, this tip could save you some cash.

If you do chickens in a group, with each person doing specific jobs, you would be surprised how quickly you can get 50 birds done!

When we do chickens, we usually raise out about 50 at a time. When we get ready to butcher, we have an assembly line with a child and adult doing a specific job. Once they get proficient, we can process 50 birds in several hours. Its hard work, but you get it all done in one day and have enough chicken for a half of a year, or a whole year depending on how large your family is and how much chicken you like to eat.

We do have lots of kids, so that is definitely an advantage!

We also do lamb and goat, which are easy for self-butchering. We do beef, but we don't have the facilities to butcher ourselves.

FollowingHim said:
Did you know you can make your own ghee from regular butter? It's pretty simple, and probably a lot cheaper.
http://www.realbakingwithrose.com/2011/08/butter_solution_for_the_lactos.html

The main advantage of ghee is that it contains little lactose, so you can use it if you're lactose intolerant. If you can eat lactose, probably simplest to just stick with cheap butter. But if you like the taste of ghee, this tip could save you some cash.

For all that, i'll just buy butter, i don't like the chloresterol in butter, that's why I thought ghee was a better choice. I want to learn how to make my own butter though, because it can be expensive. I have used smart balance in past, but there seems to be some canola oil in it. Ghee, has no big taste in it, so seems like a waste of money, i like the saltiness of butter, makes food taste good.

Ghee has the same amount of cholesterol as regular butter, the cholesterol content isn't changed when it's clarified. Butter's just as healthy. But I wouldn't stress about cholesterol if you've got an active lifestyle. Our ancestors used lard and butter as their key cooking fats, and they were fine - because they were working hard. Just eat a balanced diet, keep busy, and you'll be fine.

Butter's very easy to make. This isn't a practical method to make lots of it, but if you want to quickly see how simple it is to make:
- Pour some cream into the bottom of a large jar.
- Put on the lid and shake it. A lot. It will turn to whipped cream, and then suddenly congeal into butter.
- Add salt if you like.

If you want to make a lot of it you'll want a butter churn, but the principle is exactly the same. It's just over-whipped cream.

I have been using chia seeds. You all should watch Dr.Oz, recently learned that kwi is a great energy sorce, eat two a day, blend up in a blender if you like, and make kiwi juice pops, yummy.

It's KIWIFRUIT, kiwis are endangered birds and probably don't taste that great blended raw... :D

But yes, KIWIFRUIT are delicious and we eat a lot of them here, they're extremely cheap because we get to buy all the downgraded ones that aren't considered good enough to be exported to uncultured people who will call them kiwis.

Did you know that they're actually Chinese Gooseberries? Back in the 70's I think some growers in New Zealand wanted to grow them and export them to the American market. But they realised that given the cold war, and the association with communism, anything with the word "chinese" in the name wouldn't sell. So they decided to call it a "kiwiberry" instead (to give it a New Zealand flavour), which then became "kiwifruit".

FollowingHim said:
...ones that aren't considered good enough to be exported to uncultured people who will call them kiwis.

:lol: :lol: Good one, Samuel!

But we uncultured folk tend to try to avoid redundancy, and since it is so obviously a fruit, and we don't know anything about Chinese gooseberries, we don't see the need to say "kiwifruit". Any more than we feel the need to say "carrotveggies".

It's just part of our terse, natural tendency to avoid verbosity! Oreslag and I being prime examples!

:lol: :lol:

Foods that we eat?!

Jelly Beans!!! Yay!!! :eek:

Beans ARE good for ya, right? Jellied or not? :roll: :lol: :lol:

(Written as I, ummm, SAVOR my salad while thinking of ... )

Apple cider is known to help your health.
Many benefits, currently I use Braggs organic apple cider vinegar.
I use it for my hair, it helps, fight dandruff, and helps my ph level on my hair.

It can be used to help with many many things, I want to start using for my health.

http://www.apple-cider-vinegar-benefits.com/

Besides apple cider vinegar, I have learned about garlic, garlic helps lower chlorestorl just like apple cider vinegar. We sometimes take garlic daily. I used it when I had an achy tooth, pain went away instantly.

Garlic is very healthy for you heart. You should look up the health benefits of mustard greens. It tastes a little spicy like mustard is and if you eat it alone you'll have to get used to it, but I love it in my salads and I have gotten used to just snacking on them. Its a powerful little plant. I love some arugula, mustard, all mixed in with my spinach delicious little salad.

~Asia

I cook mustard greens but dont eat them raw :cry:

We are now on a vegetarian diet, it has been fun, helping me to be full of energy, I find it hard to fall asleep sometimes, Im no longer weighed down feeling all fatigue after I eat, but only full of energy. I recommend this diet to anyone. If you have questions just ask. Its something we have tried for the third time, we be on it the longest this time. I dont want to go back to meat, I'll eat it every now and then, maybe, I dont crave it all anymore, but want to go for the vegetarian seafood meals at the restaurants. Its been great, I'll drop some recipes maybe. Is there any other vegetarians out there?

I have been to local grocer and found my way to organic foods, you just have to look extra hard.

Spirulina? Wounderful super food. The kind I get is found off the coast of Japan. And esentially is a blue green algae. It is not great tasting at all.

Is this in the veggie isle at the store?

There is also another by product from sunflower seeds with is Saflower oil. It's an oil made from sunflower seeds and is great to cook with and in my opinon the healthiest oil to cook with.

I find that olive oil is the healthiest, it is by far the most expensive, but I just buy in smal bottles every time I go grocery shopping, I use it now b/c I hear it lowers chloresterol.

But sunflower oil, is this oil bad for chloresterol, I dont see much on internet about it, It is cheaper as far as an helathy oil, but what about the fat content of poly and monsurated fats in it. I have been using it, for my hair and face as well, as it is a very light oil, I us coconut oil for my hair, it gives it the perfect moisture, and olive oil is a heavy oil for a deeper condition for my hair, and a great body mosturizer.

sharonr said:
Is there any other vegetarians out there?

Yup. Lifetime.

So why did I get into such health problems? Unfortunately, soda pop, candy, chips, and cookies are all vegetarian, but a diet composed primarily of them WILL take you down.

However, when eating a healthy veg. diet, I've always done well.

Tried going on a meat diet a while back. Body didn't like it at all.

Cooking oils:

ALL vegetable oils, including olive oil and safflower oil, create trans fats when heated for cooking. Not good.

There is ONE exception -- coconut oil. It does not.

Nor does butter, which is considered vegetarian but not vegan.

So I have come to do all my cooking with one or the other. Though I will sometimes scramble eggs in olive oil because it's just so darn tasty! :)

You will find Spirulina tablets in the vitamin section of the health food store, but I get mine from another source in which I find is the best. Let me know if you want more information on the source in which I buy mine. I also do not use the tablets the body can more easily absorb the powder form then it can from the tablets.

~Asia

Back