• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

For parents with shy children

Julia Mykaele

Female
When I say shyness I don't mean "cute" children, but children who are really withdrawn and inhibited in new situations, who are slow to trust other people.

It is common for parents to think that this is just a phase, but it is not. Problems of depression and social anxiety are related to childhood shyness, because both involve a low sense of belonging.

Because of this it is necessary to take measures to prevent this behavior from getting worse.

These children feel more comfortable around nature. Also let him go to school by bicycle instead of by car or school bus.
Ask him what he needs, these children don't talk about their difficulties.

Just reading this, @Julia Mykaele. That resonates with me. I was painfully shy for the first part of my childhood and preferred the animal world to the human world. I preferred walking along a very busy highway to 1st and 2nd grade to riding the school bus or being accompanied by anyone. I could stop along the way at the original Wurlitzer plant to observe the fish in their large ponds and feed the chipmunks, squirrels and raccoons. It was a blessing when my parents gave me permission to use roller skates, because I was less likely to get to school late!

Were you such a child as you describe above?

Back