• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Froggie Family Chronicles

Status
Not open for further replies.
So last night was the children's school Christmas concert. We all had a nice dinner together at Ruth's before hand. During this time, one of Teen Daughter's school chums came over to join her doing hair and make-up in the bathroom. At one point, as I was walking past, I overhead Teen Friend ask, "So are your mom and dad coming to the concert too?" To which Teen Daughter replied, "Yes, they are." What makes this so neat is that Teen Friend would not have known anything about referring to us as "Mom and Dad" unless Teen Daughter had told her about it. It made my heart sing. :cool:

One of our dear members offered the following advice:
I'm delighted for everyone how well things are going right now, but I beg you to take your time and get to know each other better, BEFORE commitments are made and children are affected even more than they already are.

Things seem so wonderful right now, as you're in the beginning stages of everything, and there have been little or no conflicts, but there will be lots of little conflicts and some big ones, as well. Watch how everyone -- including the children -- handles the conflicts that are sure to come, and make adjustments accordingly.

If, after several months of a realistic evaluation of all involved, you all still feel like this is the path God wants you on, then may the Lord bless this union of families!
So how long should we wait? And in the meanwhile, what does "getting to know each other better" entail? It is important that we do a lot together as a family, to help us all bond better--- particularly with the children--- but how do you do that without making a union complete?

Btw, they ARE waiting on the sex thing... no worries, there. Just doing fun things together, like dinner and concerts and dvds and get togethers and such. We are definitely having Christmas together; it's going to be "the bomb." :cool: So you think they should wait to "tie the knot" until much later than January, then, is that what y'all are saying?

(For the opinions of a number of folks who have never met either The Froggies or their Ruth, but who have observed other families over time, and thus share their valid concerns, please see The Froggie Family Chronicles: Our Journey Through PM.)

Froggie Family Chronicles, Monday, December 19, 2011

It has been a busy week as a family. We’ve had dinner together four nights: Monday last week, Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday! And we’ve attended two major events together, to watch the children perform.

Last night at the children’s church performance, the youngest little boy kept wiggling about and making funny faces. Ruth heard him remark out loud, “I’ve got THREE parents, and I can’t see them all at the same time!” Lol.

I stayed with the children last night after church while their mother worked. Teen Daughter is out of town for a couple of days, so I stayed the night, and all day so their mother could sleep. Since Mr. Froggie and I each have our own bed, I let Ruth sleep in my bed. When the children woke me up, I decided I needed a cup of coffee after they had their breakfast. Ruth was in need of some clean dishes, including the coffee pot, so I decided to take the two littlest ones with me to my house, where I knew teen sons would have a fresh pot made, and still hot. Mr. Froggie was home from work by then, and still awake, so I was able to see him for a bit. I talked him into coming back with me over to Ruth’s house, so he could visit with the two older girls as well. It was nice to be able to see him, since otherwise I would not see him until Tuesday (tomorrow) night, when he got up for work! And the children were also very glad to see their new daddy. : )

I had a pretty good day with the children. They played nicely, for the most part, and did not squabble much. I was able to get the dishes done up for Ruth, and feed the children lunch. Then I took the “babies” for a walk in the park, trusting the two older girls to not fight while we were gone (they did well). We just chilled for the rest of the afternoon, watching a movie on television, until it was time to go and wake Ruth up. She wanted me to wake her, so she could spend a few hours with the children before she had to go to work. I will go back later this evening and stay with them, then I have to work in the morning, but Ruth will be home by the time I must leave.

Inspite of the cheery and upbeat family doings, I must confess it hasn’t been all cherries and roses, lol. Before the three of us decided we were really and truly going to do this thing, I admit to some feelings of insecurity, a fear that perhaps one day Mr. Froggie might say to me, “Well, it’s been a great 20 years, but I can’t keep up with both of you, so I’ve decided to keep Ruth instead.” Lol, I did manage to tell Mr. Froggie about my fears. He chuckled and assured me that was NOT going to happen. Then I told Ruth, and she explained that she is in this relationship for me as much as for herself and for my husband. She said that she does not want to be with him if I’m not with him too, and that the only way she can see herself with him alone is if I have passed away. So that made me feel better.

Sometimes Ruth and I have some conflicts with the children, and their behavior. They are so used to just running roughshod over their mother, disobeying her, disrespecting her, and never helping her, but only creating more work for her to do. My own teen sons do chores to help us out every day, without complaint, without being asked, without being reminded, and have for many years. It is hard not to compare!

Last night when I arrived to care for the children, I discovered all of the clothes I had folded the night previously had been simply stirred up into a messy pile on the sofa, unfolded, and never put away. One of the girls had been told to put them away that day by her mother, and she never did it, but instead she and her siblings had just played on the pile. I was angry. Ruth knew I was angry, and she felt badly about it. I don’t think it helps when I tell her it is not her fault, that her children are plenty old enough to behave better, and to obey her. It is just that this has been so normal for them for so long, that it has never occurred to her that there is a different kind of “normal” that she could enjoy, if her children were trained to it. But her children have been allowed to behave this way for so long, that they are fighting the system. They argue, refuse, back-talk, have tantrums, and all kinds of drama. They scream at me that “it’s all about chores now, and we never have fun anymore!” Never mind that it only takes 20 minutes to get things tidied up, and then we have two hours to play games! The children are perfectly content to pick through piles and heaps of laundry looking for clothes to wear each day, to wait until the last minute each night to put a sheet on their beds, and round up blankets and pillows, and to simply kick toys out of the way to start a new game. Last night after the children went to bed, I just sat and stewed, wondering if this was going to work: I cannot function the way the children are accustomed to living. I’m uncomfortable, it makes me miserable, stressed, and overwhelmed. The home does not feel at peace. The only solution is to show the children how much more pleasant life is when the house is neat and tidy, and things are taken care of properly. They don’t have any games or toys because they don’t take care of anything. Everything is either lost, scattered, or broken. So I always bring toys and games and activities from my house to share with them, and bring them home with me when I leave. I have to constantly remind them to take care of my toys, and put them away when they are finished playing with them. The thing is, Ruth MUST sleep during the day time, and that is when the children are awake and unsupervised. That is when they get into mischief. They need constant supervision, but everyone in this community works. There are no daycare centers here; not one—and Ruth cannot afford the cost anyhow.

Don’t get me wrong; I do love the children. But they can certainly drive me bonkers at times!

Tuesday, December 20, 2011

I’m crazy; I just know it. What am I thinking? :eek:

In just three years, both sons will no doubt be moving on in their lives, going to college, getting their own apartments, etc. We could be “empty nesters,” living a quiet life as a middle aged couple with two dogs for company. Ruth’s youngest child is only five years old. We’ve got approximately 15 years before he leaves the nest. Hmm… Fifteen years… that’s roughly the lifespan of a dog. We could get another puppy right now, and expect to look after it for the next 15 years.

But puppies can’t play Candyland and Sorry, and don’t enjoy hearing bedtime stories. Puppies like to go for long walks and get themselves lost, and chew on everything, and run through the house shredding a roll of toilet paper. Hmm… I vote for keeping the five year old human, and his sisters. (But another puppy later on down the road might be fun too.) : )

I spent the last two nights at Ruth’s, taking care of her children. When she came home from work this morning, I got up and got READY for work. Then I went to work. Lol, I had fun with Ruth’s children, but I confess I was happy to be at work today.

When I got home, Ruth called me. She had a fun day planned with the children, took them to town to go Christmas shopping, and took them out to lunch at a fast food place. The six year old girl got injured playing on the children’s play center, so Ruth called me to let me know they had been waiting in the emergency room for the past two and a half hours, waiting for the littlest girl to get her head stapled up.

Ruth had to call her dysfunctional, grumpy mother to come and pick up the other three children. If I had not been working at the time, she would have called me, because she needed “family support, not grumpy family.” Oh, how I wish I could have run to her rescue! She said she will be home much later than planned. I am definitely going to wake Mr. Froggie early when they do get in, because the children will be exhausted, wanting to go to bed, and Mr. Froggie will want to see them all, especially the littlest girl, and inspect her stapled head and give her sympathy. And Ruth will definitely need the support of his loving arms, and a shoulder to cry on, after all the stress she’s been through.

Saturday, 12/24/11

This is Ruth.

Froggie has just shown me the different threads and postings that she has made i think that her journal is awesome in every way. She and Mr. Froggie have been so good to my family.

Though I am not the best mom in the world I have done my best on my own and unfortunately that meant giving in too much and being inconsistent due to exhaustion.

She and Mr. Froggie are so wonderful and strong. We all have a great love for the Lord and are in love with each other.

I know that her blogs sound so crazy awesome and up until a couple weeks ago this was all a surreal craze that my best friend Mrs. Froggie was going through. A phase, empty nest syndrome, maybe even a mid-life crisis.

Finally it hit me. This is for real and our love for one another is true.

Mr. Froggie is so, so different and patient. He holds me close and comforts me. He promises the kids he will be there and then he shows up.

Crazy, yes. Fast paced, yes.

My faith is in the Lord. My children are so happy. My heart, though hidden and buried for years is upon my sleeve: the last place I ever expected it to be.

Monday, December 26, 2011

Just this past Thursday we had a bit of a crisis with the children.

They started showing us that they are fully aware of the affection between their mother and their new daddy. They were teasing them, singing the children’s chant, “Mommy and Daddy sitting in a tree, k-i-s-s-i-n-g…” They asked if they were in love, and all sorts of funny questions. I know the children are mostly super excited that their mommy and new daddy are in love, but Ruth was upset, and majorly stressed out about it. So I went back over to sit with the children while she had a few minutes to discuss the situation with Mr. Froggie, and figure out what to tell the children. While I was with the children, one of the girls fingered my new promise ring and told me that her mom and my husband were “cheating” on me. She told me she was well aware they are hugging and kissing and saying “I love you,” and calling each other “hunny bunny,” and that she does not think it is right, and they are “cheating” on me.

Oh boy. So I had to explain, as simply as I could, that they are NOT “cheating,” because not only do I know about it, but it is my idea. I also explained very simply, without a lot of detail, that the Bible says this is okay. Jesus told us to share, and to love each other, and that includes mothers who don’t have a husband and children who don’t have a daddy to take care of them. I explained that I’m doing this because I believe she deserves to have a daddy who loves her, and her mom deserves to have a husband who loves her, and it just so happens that Mr. Froggie can do that, just as he has done it for me and our two sons, and I want these children to have what we have. She was very quiet—even speechless—after that, and could not tell me what was going through her head.

Then Ruth came home, sat the children down and asked them what their questions were. Surprise, they did not have any more question by then! So Ruth just told them again that we were combining our families, that there would be enough resources—and love—for everyone. We told them that any other part of the relationship, such as kissing and hugging, was none of their business, and the chanting was going to STOP, immediately. Then the children did have one big question: What if one of our households moved away? What if the two moms had a quarrel? We did our best to assure them that if we ever move, we all move together, and that when we have quarrels and disagreements, we will work them out—this is FOREVER. This seemed to satisfy them, although in their experience, a “permanent” relationship in their lives has never lasted longer than a few months, or a year or two at best. So they are just watching and waiting, to see if they can trust us and hold us to our word.

Meanwhile, Ruth has cut back on her displays of affection toward Mr. Froggie, and only giving him hugs and kisses when the children are not present. She does not want to rush them to feel pressured, and force more than they can cope with upon them. As it is, Ruth is worried about confusing her children by “teaching them it is okay to share your husband, and/or to date a married man.” I do understand her concern and trepidation, and I even respect it, so for now I do my best to see her need and shepherd the children away when she needs a moment alone with her intended.

Monday, December 26, 2011 -- Ruth's Story

My life before I met the Froggies was that of a single mom with 5 children. I have always worked at least one job and I have always had a babysitter for at least 40 hours a week. We have had to move around a lot because it has always been financially straining to maintain a household with all of them and their needs.

I have 2 ex husbands. The first is the father to my 15 year old. He lives about an hour from us and never wanted kids to begin with. He tried to force me to get an abortion after we found out I was pregnant 2 months after being married. I refused and left.

I gave him a chance to redeem himself about a month before giving birth to her. He tried to be there but was very resentful even accusing me of getting pregnant by another man. I had to laugh because I never cheated or even thought about it. I was only 18 when we married and he was 28. I was the mature one in the marriage.
Anyhow, he still visits our 15 year old once in awhile. He gives me no support financially, mentally, or responsibly. She has had many father figures in her life. Some were mean and some just bailed on us.

That was until I met my second ex husband. He was an ok role model for her and I had four more children with him. He used many ways to control and manipulate me. I think that’s enough for today.

It is hard for me to talk about a lot of my past because it has been difficult. I have done everything I can to protect my kids from mean people like my exes.

I met the Froggies at work. We became close friends immediately. When I met Mr. Froggie I was immediately attracted to him. He was so mellow, caring and sincere. When he spoke of his kids he smiled as a proud papa would. I noticed his wedding ring right away (because of the interest and attraction (I looked) and knew we could never be more than friends.

He was not flirting or anything just being social and friendly. I looked forward to talking with him each day and wanted to meet his family. We all hit it right off. Mrs. Froggie needed more of an income and I needed a sitter. Wow, she was the most awesome babysitter ever and she and Mr. Froggie fell in love with the kids right away. Things progressed from there.

I will write you more later. Right now I am out of time.

Thursday, December 29, 2011
To Daddy from *[nine year old daughter]*

Love (you) thanks for sharing (your) love with my mom i have been waiting for someone that i can trust to take care of me my family and my mom and you have showed me that i can trust u NO matter what i am sorry that when u guys were starting to like each other i kinda freaked out but that was just because u reminded me of my dad and it made me sad but now my mom has found someone better then him that all of us can look up to and u are a great new dad and your 1 i love and now i have to wonderful families that mean so much to me
*She had a whole bunch of heart emoticons inserted in this message, too. This is the child that was worried, and told me her mom and my husband were "cheating" on me.

Froggie's Journal, 12/29/11

Interesting things happening today. I had a special day with just the nine year old girl, including going for a walk with the dogs. On our walk I had the opportunity to ask about her feelings regarding what is happening to the family. She said that although she was worried at first, she is okay with it now, and actually feels good about the whole thing. She is grateful someone like her new daddy has decided to "give her mom a chance." After we got home from our walk, she asked me to hook her up with my email, so she could send a message to her daddy. What she wrote was so special we could not contain the tears.

Today, Mr. Froggie made up a big pot of soup. There was plenty for both households, so Ruth brought the children over to eat. After dinner, Ruth and I had plans to take the children to town with us, to do a bit of light grocery shopping. (Mr. Froggie was going to take a nap)

While we were just visiting after dinner, the children began talking about their biological father, and why he is in prison. This greatly upsets the children, and yet they have an obvious need to talk about it. The nine year old girl chastised her brother, saying, "Stop it-- we have a better dad now, so don't even talk about him!"

Ruth told her she is sorry; she cannot go back in time and change her genetics, though if it were possible she would. But be it as it may, ***** is still her father, regardless.

Only time and love can heal these festering wounds the children bear. : (

Wednesday, 1/4/12

Today is the "big day" for Mr. Froggie and Ruth. It is their days off work, so they have taken a couple of days for a little getaway out of town, during which they will seal and consummate our promises to each other with a physical union, and become "one flesh." I will be caring for Ruth's children during these two days, and I will also be baking a cake to celebrate the "wedding" when they return.

Anyway, lots of thoughts and feelings to log in the journal. Ruth wrote me a "love note" the other day, which she said I can share here if I wish, so I will be including that when I have time. As one of my wedding gifts to her, I want to go and get as much deep cleaning done on her house as I possibly can. It will be a nice way to start her new life.

Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Happy New Year! Looking forward to a new start, a new beginning in life, for our family, our marriage, everything.

The other day Ruth wrote me a “love note,” an expression of some of the thoughts and feelings she was experiencing for me. She said I could share it here, so that is what I am going to do:

“A millionaire this year I become; you have chosen to share a life with me. From the Lord this blessing comes.

You are an angel in my heart, a diamond in the rough. 2012, a brand new start, a year I will never forget.

A sister wife, a love for life. I cannot express enough thanks. Sacrifices made.
You are so wonderful; working hard and loving large, YOU are the sugar in my coffee; bitter without you, and never the same.

I drink of your love; I joyfully speak your name. Like a white turtle dove, we travel as a pair. Through life we shall be never alone. This I promise you; a solid rock I shall be in a gravel-driven road.

Our children await a solid, strong support; this you provide for them. Thank you, thank you so much. [Froggie] you are awesome indeed. I love you.”

(Same date, several hours later)

The four younger children are asleep here, at “my” house, with me. The nine year old daughter claimed her daddy’s bed. The ten year old daughter has the long sofa, the five year old boy has the love seat, and the six year old girl made a bed on the living room floor. Thus, I get to sleep in my own bed, with memory foam mattress. (Aaaah!)

I got to speak with the Mr. and Ruth. Their vows are complete, and I will most definitely be making a cake tomorrow, to be enjoyed Friday evening, when we are next all together again. They were giggling like a couple of teenagers, lol. But I am so happy for them, and for us. It is official: we are a plural family now, Ruth is Mr. Froggie’s wife in every sense of the word, and her children are my children, my children are her children’s step-brothers. Now it is only a matter of settling into a comfortable groove, adjusting schedules to allow time for fostering relationships and deepening our love for each other.

I got Ruth’s two bathrooms deep cleaned today, and tomorrow I will start on the kitchen while the children are in school. We had dinner here, at the single wide this evening. I took the children back to the double wide for baths and to get overnight bags. They will go to school from here in the morning. Hoping to be caught up on the cleaning by the time they get home from school tomorrow, I am looking forward to just settling down and playing some games with them, the way they like me to. This evening they did have some other activities they wanted to do after school, which left me free to finish some cleaning. Then this evening we watched some movies while I was doing dinner. But we still had a bit of a meltdown, since I have a lot of sensitive electronics at my house that I do not want the children playing with, but are simply irresistible to them, making anything else “boring” by comparison. (sigh). I had to call Ruth and Hubby, and get some encouragement. Lol, Ruth told me I am an “expert” when it comes to dealing with her children, and I should take my own advice, and not let them run me roughshod, the way they do her. Lol, who counsels the counselor?

In just one month, on Valentine’s Day, is my 20th wedding anniversary with Mr. Froggie. We too are planning our own little getaway for a couple of days. I’m looking forward to it. It will be very important in keeping our own marriage strong in the face of this new thing called plural marriage, and to help me feel cherished and desired. Afterall, Ruth is eight years younger than I am! And Mr. Froggie and I have not had a weekend away together in quite some time--- I would guess three years!

Thursday, January 5, 2012

It’s the “morning after.” I’ve already gotten the little children off to school, with smiling, fresh faces. It went surprisingly smoothly, considering we only have one bathroom! Of course, there was a strategy some may take note of: I woke just one child at a time, sent her to the bathroom to toilet and get dressed, then when she came out I woke the next child. After everyone was dressed, I brushed their hair. They eat breakfast at school. It was a good morning, and the children were very relaxed, rested, and happy--- yes, happy. We all spoke in hushed, quiet, morning tones, and really set the day off right.

I texted the newlyweds to let them know the kids were off to school, and that it went well. Then they called me directly. They were out having breakfast. Surprisingly, I did not feel any pangs of negativity, jealousy, insecurity, etc. while speaking with them! It is just all good. I told the Mr. that I am looking forward to our anniversary next month, and I sure hope he saves some “energy” for me. He assured me there will be “energy” aplenty, lol. It seems that having two women who think he is the sexiest man alive is good for his libido, lol.

I did have some trouble sleeping last night, but I don’t think it had so much to do with knowing my husband was with someone else as two other factors: I have a cold, and asthma, and so was coughing incessantly. I had a dog sleeping at my feet, taking up a lot of space. I had to get up once to let said dog out to go potty.

Mr. Froggie and Ruth asked about my plans for the day. When I mentioned I might take the dogs out for a walk, the Mr. admonished me to keep the older one ON leash (as letting her off, she tends to over work herself and has arthritis pain for several days after). Ruth laughed at him for “sending orders from the honeymoon.”

So that’s it for this morning. It is not even 8:00 am, so still early, and time enough for me to putter about before starting my day. However, I do want to get Ruth’s kitchen cleaned up, and get her laundry finished, and it would be nice to take the dogs out for a walk. I MUST check in with work to find out what my schedule is for tomorrow, but if I have the early shift, the teen daughter says she can get the little ones off to school for me, no problem. And of course, I have a cake to bake!!!! : D

Evening, same day, 1/5/12

Here’s a kid quote for the day, from the five year old boy.

I was folding laundry and the two youngest ones were trying to guess whose they were. The boy guessed my pajamas right off, but it wasn’t the pink hearts that tipped him off. :roll: He said, “I’m not saying you’re fat, but you wear big sizes!” :eek: :lol:

Just five years old, and already a diplomat. He cracks me up.

Friday, January 6, 2012

Ruth and Mr. Froggie returned home from their honeymoon getaway this morning. They actually surprised me by returning several hours earlier than expected! They brought groceries for both households, but they also brought something a little extra that goes a long way—something other plural newlyweds might want to take note of--- they brought me a bouquet of red roses. It was a very nice gesture, and much appreciated. When Mr. Froggie was reading this journal today, I told him I was going to mention the roses in my latest entry. He told me while I was doing that I might want to mention to all the “first wives” out there that a similar gesture might also be received with equal appreciation by the husband. (Duly noted, dear.) : )

But roses aside, the happy newlyweds had an “awesome” weekend away, and had a lovely time together. Ruth said it was really nice to be able to just be themselves together, holding hands and being romantic in public, without people raising eyebrows and gossiping. In fact, when they were at the store paying for groceries, when the roses went through, Mr. Froggie told the checker, “Just give the roses to the WIFE to put up, so they don’t get smashed.” He of course, was talking about Ruth, though the roses were for me. That made Ruth feel really special.

It is also worth noting that Ruth was very conscientious of my feelings and needs throughout this whole thing. It was she who told Mr. Froggie to call me in person, telling him, “She needs to hear your voice.” And after the groceries were brought in and put away, she left us alone, acknowledging that I needed to have some time with him, to reconnect. I let Mr. Froggie know I was feeling somewhat vulnerable, and that I needed to be reassured that I am still attractive and desirable to him, even after being with someone else. So he spent several hours letting me know nothing has changed between us, but rather only improved. It was mostly just sitting next to each other holding hands and talking, but that’s really what matters most in a marriage as old as ours.

Eventually Mr. Froggie went to bed (he has to work tonight), and I moseyed over to Ruth’s. I woke her up (she also has to work tonight), so we could chat before the kids came home from school.

Speaking of the kids, oh my, are they excited! They know “Mommy and Daddy are in love and got married!” Lol, I don’t know for sure how they construed the “got married” part, but I’m just glad they are excited about it. They of course, wanted to see Mommy’s ring.

The ring. Oh yes, Mr. Froggie was feeling badly that he did not have a token by which to commemorate the special anniversary to Ruth. I pointed to his own wedding ring which I gave to him 20 years ago, which his finger has outgrown, and told him to give that to her. It fits her perfectly, so that is what she is wearing. I think when you think about all the ways it ties together, that it is the perfect token to commemorate our sacred union. The only difference is, she moved her matching “pinky promise” ring from the right hand to the left, and the wedding ring to the right ring finger. This is to keep the two rings from clinking together, and to keep people from noticing right away and asking uncomfortable questions. So it’s done. We have officially embarked upon a plural marriage, and I now have a sister wife I can’t seem to go one day without visiting, texting, or talking to.

In addition to all of that, Mr. Froggie today booked us a room in a hotel with a hot tub, for our 20th wedding anniversary! I’m very excited about that. We will get away for two nights, just the two of us. I’m looking forward to it! Ruth told me today that she has plans for us for that day, but also that she is planning to take her children out of town to visit her grandmother, so we will be alone.

I was originally planning for Mr. Froggie to spend Valentine’s Day with Ruth, since she has never had anyone to celebrate it with, and we would celebrate our anniversary a day later--- but Ruth has made up her mind--- regardless, we are still delaying our anniversary weekend, since Mr. Froggie has to work that night, and it is difficult for him to get a day trade. Besides, since we were on of the last marriages conducted on Valentine’s Day that year, we didn’t actually consummate our marriage until the next morning, lol.

Anyway, I’m happy, the newlyweds are happy, the kids are happy, the dogs are happy…. Lol.

Thursday, January 12, 2012

Today marks the 20th anniversary of my engagement to Mr. Froggie. :) The story is really quite romantic, but I will share that some other time. I have a lot of other updates to cover in this entry.

Yesterday also marked the “one week-a-versary” of Mr. Froggie’s union to Ruth. I had mentioned to the happy couple that being that they had only been a true couple for one week, I felt it was important that they have a day of some serious quality time alone, just the two of them. I hinted that they might want to spend a good portion of that time in the bedroom, but of course it was up to them.

This brings us to the very common topic of “scheduling in the plural marriage.” It turns out that both Ruth and I had the same three days off together, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday (today). Mr. Froggie also had Wednesday and today off. Now, Mr. Froggie has been called in to work early to gain some overtime—he has worked over 50 hours last week -- so naturally, he is tired. He also had spinal surgery two years ago, so he is in a significant amount of pain, having worked that many hours.

Bearing all this in mind, it is important to note that some flexibility and spontaneity is crucial in the plural marriage, and when arranging “couple time.” There is more to this topic as I relate our activities over the past two days.

Monday night Ruth had to work. I had worked that day, but got home in time to put the children to bed for her. Having stayed up all night working, Ruth and I had plans Tuesday to go into town and do a little shopping, have lunch, and take care of some other business of hers. We had planned to get home before the children got out of school, but that did not work out… To make a long story a bit shorter, we had a very full day, including bringing home a restored 20 year old mini-van which Ruth has arranged to purchase from a dear mechanic friend of hers. We have dubbed said van the “Mommy Mobile,” as Ruth is graciously sharing it with me, in full, with my own key and everything.

So by the time we got home, poor Ruth had been awake for more than 24 hours! She stayed up a bit longer to spend time with the children and put them to bed, then she came over to my house to visit with Mr. Froggie while he got ready for work. Then Ruth was to sleep in Mr. Froggie’s bed, in our bedroom with me (Mr. Froggie and I each have our own separate twin beds, and have for many years).

In the morning, Mr. Froggie went directly to Ruth’s house after work to help the teen daughter get the younger children off to school. Poor Ruth was soooo tired. This was now Wednesday morning, and I had agreed it would be Ruth’s day with Mr. Froggie, and I would find other things to do, as the day marked one full week since their sacred union.

Unfortunately, Ruth was so tired and sleeping so hard, Mr. Froggie and I did not have the heart to wake her. We decided to let her sleep the day away, which she did. So Mr. Froggie and I had some quality time together instead, talking or simply being present in the same room together—I drifted off into space thinking, while he watched a television re-run on his computer—and I baked that cake I never got around to baking last week, lol! Although we didn’t really do anything “together,” it was a lovely morning communing as an established middle-aged married couple, lol.

Ruth finally woke up in the early afternoon, very stiff and sore from having slept so soundly in Mr. Froggie’s bed. :D The three of us enjoyed visiting and helping Ruth wake up until the children arrived home from school. After insisting the children each had a piece of cake, Ruth and I got around to loading them up in our “new” Mommy-mobile for a fun evening out to dinner at a burger place and then roller skating at a local skating rink. Mr. Froggie finally went to bed, but was awake when we returned.

After getting home and putting the children straight to bed (they were exhausted, lol), Ruth and I came to the “other home” to see Mr. Froggie and make more plans. Ruth decided we all needed to go out for breakfast (it was now midnight, lol), but I convinced her to get take out and bring it home. Then we went to Ruth’s house (her children sleep much more soundly than mine do) to watch the latest Narnia movie. We had some nice couple time, with the three of us.

I did feel kind of bad that Ruth did not get her own private date with Mr. Froggie all to herself, but she insists she is okay with that, and Mr. Froggie is okay too. This morning, however, he mentioned to me that he was thinking he would like to have some quality time with just me this evening, without Ruth. I personally am pleased, but on the other hand I feel that isn’t exactly fair to Ruth. Regardless, you now see my point about needing to have some flexibility, spontaneity, and even some “give and take” in the plural marriage relationships. Sometimes life circumstances and bodily needs don’t always respect a set schedule of taking turns. Sometimes we just have to roll with it as it happens, taking each moment as it comes.

Interestingly enough, this past Tuesday also marked the first time Ruth really hurt my feelings. I won’t go into the circumstances, as it really is irrelevant to my point, but my feelings were very badly hurt. I cried and cried and cried.

Ruth had no idea she had hurt my feelings, and couldn’t possibly have any knowledge of why my feelings were hurt. But in the end, with Mr. Froggie helping to mediate, I was able to let Ruth know how she had hurt me, and why it hurt so much. She was stunned and felt awful, as I knew she would, being the kind loving person she truly is inside.

She apologized, I accepted her apology, all was forgiven, and we were able to go back to our mutual closeness—and even slept in the same room together. I explained to Ruth that there will be many more hurt feelings between us in the years to come, but we will just have to get them out and smooth them out, and it doesn't mean we don't still love each other. :)

Later, Ruth had a serious talk with each of the children, since part of what she had said to hurt my feelings she had said in front of the children. She knew that they would have thought it okay to continue to tease me in the same fashion Ruth had, so she swiftly pre-empted that by letting the children know that was a sensitive topic for me, and that it really hurt my feelings, and they are never to make any comments on the subject, ever. Okay. Life is good. We had a fabulous evening together Wednesday.

On a side note, Ruth also has tomorrow (Friday) off work, so perhaps she and Mr. Froggie can have some couple time in the morning, before Mr. Froggie has to go to bed for the day. Mr. Froggie does have to work Friday night. As of this moment, I don’t know if I work tomorrow or not, but I need to find out before the day’s end.

And that catches us all up on the events of this week! Perhaps we’ll have more in a day or two. :)

Friday, 1/13/12 around midnight (Really NORMAL days DO happen)

Ruth and I had a nice day together. I don't know if it would be interesting enough to put in a journal entry, though. We just took the dogs out to the hills for a romp while the kids were still at school. Fairly mundane.

Ruth fixed enough dinner for all of us, so we did get to have dinner together, including taking a dish to Marcus (our oldest son) at work, and saving some for Mr Froggie to have in the morning. Jax (our 16 yr old son) and Ruth and I played a game of Scrabble while the little kids were at church, and the teen daughter was cheering at a school game. I won the first round, Ruth won the second round. We spent some time convincing the children they had to clean their rooms before they could do anything interesting, and once they figured out we were serious (about an hour before bedtime) they got it done, lol.

Later Ruth came over to bring Mr Froggie a cup of coffee and see him for a few minutes before he had to get ready for work. Then she left to go home and watch the second Narnia movie with the kids. I have to work in the morning, so I stayed home to write this and get to bed. :)

I have to say, the boys have been so sweet and kind to the little children. Last week, when Mr Froggie and Ruth were away, and I had the little ones over here, Jax actually helped Ruth's 6 yr olod girl with her reading homework (she's in first grade), and let her sit on his lap in the rocking chair. Then later Marcus let her sit in his lap, and he actually put his arm around her, and returned her hugs. Granted, in the night and early morning, the boys complained about having to step over sleeping children in the living room, and said they'd go crazy if they stayed another minute, but in the end they are extremely kind and gracious to the children. I'm very proud of them both. :)

Saturday, January 14, 2012

The events of this evening prove what a plus plural marriage can be. The teen daughter and her friend-who-is-a-boy were in a car accident this evening. They are okay, or so they say. They were wearing seatbelts. But Ruth is a nervous wreck. She will not be satisfied until she personally inspects teen daughter for herself! LOL. But she did have to go to work tonight, and the teenagers weren't home yet-- still aren't, at the time of this writing-- so I assured Ruth that I would wait up and personally inspect Teen Daughter for owies and bruises, and take satisfaction that she is indeed unharmed. Ruth will rest in this assurance, since she really has no other choice. It does give her some peace of mind, at least knowing that a mom is going to be here to take her place and inspect her precious child. :)

The small children are at another sitter's tonight, so that gives me a break, and the other sitter a little extra cash.

A few minutes ago, the kids called me to let me know they are delayed. They are waiting to file a report with the sherrif, and then they need to go get something to eat. Then they will come straight over to my house, so I can inspect Teen Daughter, and assure her mother by text that she is truly safe and unhurt.

So that's it for now. Mr. Froggie just woke up, so I'm going to go see him and update him on the latest family drama, so he can join us in worrying, lol.

1/14/12, a few hours later:

Teenagers made it home, safe and sound. Teen Daughter was examined and found to be without a mark, and no whiplash. Mr. Froggie was glad to see her too, before having to go to work. Ruth is relieved, and can now work her shift at ease and free of worry. :) And I can go to bed and sleep soundly. It's just one of the many perks of plural marriage, folks. (cool emoticon)

Special thanks to ylop, Cecil and Paul-not the apostle for your words of encouragement.

I want people to understand that the transformation that has taken place in my family is purely the work of God, and not of ourselves. This is a very important key element that will ultimately determine whether a plural marriage succeeds or fails.

Before anyone embarks on the journey of plural marriage, God must grow your heart sufficiently to bear it. Yes, this can happen rather suddenly! Afterall, a similar transformation must take place when we first realize our salvation in Christ Jesus, does it not? (how many people have you spoken/corresponded with who can tell you the exact moment they were saved?)

But it is true, as Bels and ylop have cautioned, that plural marriage is not to be pursued "willy-nilly." If God has not sufficiently grown and expanded your heart, your marriage is not likely to succeed. And even then, God must keep HIs Ever-Loving Hand on your hearts at all times, or your marriage is doomed to fail. That's the profound Gospel Truth, in a nutshell, people.

Now some of you might question whether this transformation could possibly have happened to me, Mr. Froggie, and Ruth, in such a short amount of time, and so suddenly. And to you I ask: Are you omniscient? Can you read the hearts of men? My Bible says only The Lord HImself can do that!

I'm here to tell you that I am more in love with Mr. Froggie now than I have ever been, even more in love with him than I was just two months ago--- and all because of witnessing his own newly grown capacity to love! It is a fantastic feeling, that can only come from the Work of the Almighty. :)

Monday, January 16, 2012

Poor Mr. Froggie! Female hormones are flying all around; how is a guy supposed to cope? LOL. He has gone from one, um, "regularly distressed" female to three -- all pretty close together time-wise! Naturally, we have all been grumpy, moody, and hormonal. So of course if there are any other underlying stressors, we all become an emotional wreck. And who is left in the middle, picking up the pieces, wondering what he did wrong, and trying his best to appease all the women in his life? Mr. Froggie, of course. The poor bloke. :lol:

Hopefully I will have a calmer, happier, update tomorrow.

Mr. Moderator Dude said:
That's why God made CHOCOLATE. Has mr froggie not yet learned to stock the pantry n run for cover this time each month? *grin*
Aaah, CHOCOLATE!!! (lightbulb emoticon) Why didn't I think of that?

Afraid not yet.

Wednesday, January 18, 2012

There are so many different things to talk about, I’m having difficulty deciding how to begin! A lot of the “issues” going on are displayed by subtle nuances, so we must really be in tune with each other to see the underlying root causes of the problems.

Maybe it will be easier to begin with today, and go backwards in time from there….

Mr. Froggie, Ruth and I all just happen to have today off—and tomorrow too. Mr. Froggie and Ruth also have some things to work on in their own very new marriage. So they arranged to have a date this morning, after the children went to school. After their movie, Ruth was so exhausted she needed a nap, and could not stay awake another minute. I convinced her to go nap in my bed. Mr. Froggie was not yet ready to go to bed, so he asked me to plug in another movie, and I got my own unexpected time with him as well—Bonus! :D

After our “date,” he decided to take a nap on the couch so he would not disturb Ruth, and also because he wants very much to be able to wake up and support her this afternoon. She has to get up when the kids get home from school, and take one of them to a doctor appointment. He said he would wake up for her, and she did not believe him, making a sarcastic remark to express herself. This shows Mr. Froggie that it does indeed matter to Ruth, therefore, it matters to him as well. He made me promise to wake them both on time, emphasizing again, “It’s important.”

This little exchange, though small, sets the tone for what is happening within our big picture, so now I will take you back to this past Monday evening.

All last week Ruth has does an amazing job of keeping her house relatively neat and tidy, and keeping up on the children to do their part. Then Monday evening I arrived after my own full day of work.

It was a school holiday, so the children had been home all day. Ruth had to work that evening, but was not planning to get any rest, since she did not have childcare for the day. The house looked like a tornado had been through. I looked around and asked Ruth, “You slept today, didn’t you?” She answered that no, she had only gotten a three hour nap, and this is what happened in those three hours. I was shocked and angry, and I let it show. Ruth broke down and began to cry. She was discouraged, overwhelmed, frustrated, angry, tired, depressed, and hormonal to boot. I was angry because the children are plenty old enough to pick up after themselves when they do an activity, make a snack, get dressed, etc. There is no justifiable excuse for them to trash the house the way they did, and in such a short space of just three hours!

Come to find out, through letting Ruth vent and express her feelings, that a big cause of her emotional breakdown at that moment was in fact her personal struggle with getting more parental support from Mr. Froggie. But Ruth has a hard time with communicating her needs and her feelings, and that is one of the reasons she has a poor history with relationships and marriage, in general. The other part of the problem is Mr. Froggie’s work and sleep schedule. When he gets off work in the mornings, he has just ten minutes to see the children before they leave for school—and that is if he rushes straight over to Ruth’s, still in his work uniform. By the time he gets up in the evening to get ready for work, the children are in bed, asleep. So naturally, even though Ruth is now in a marriage relationship, she still feels very much a single parent, and feels very much alone still.

Also during all of this same emotional breakdown, I was walking around picking up clothes off the furniture, handing them to the children to put away. Angie blurted out, “You know, the solution for most people is to just stay away.” I had to think about that statement for a moment, then I asked, “What do you mean—stay away from you, your house, your children?” And she answered, “Yes.” So then I sat down next to her and let her vent then, and that’s when she began to make known her disappointment in Mr. Froggie. Despite me telling her she needed to talk to him about this, she was firm that she would not, could not.

So this is where the veteran sister-wife comes into play. I happen to know, from 20 years of marriage, that communication is vital to success. We absolutely must tell each other how we feel, especially if we want them to step up more in keeping their end of the relationship. Afterall, if we cannot communicate, then we are essentially failing in our own end of the marriage as well! So I had a brief talk with Mr. Froggie that evening, after I had put the children to bed, and before he himself had to go to work. I told him about Ruth’s feelings, and her own refusal to talk, and let him know that it was up to him, as the more experienced partner in the marriage, to initiate the discussion, and help her to communicate her needs.

So Tuesday morning after work, Mr. Froggie went straight over to Ruth’s to help see the children off to school, then stayed to have a talk with Ruth before coming home and going to bed. I did not get to talk with him myself that morning, as he was coming to bed as I was getting up. But last evening when I went over to see the children, Ruth mentioned that she had talked with Mr. Froggie. She said she did not want to, but she did anyway (no doubt at Mr. Froggie’s insistence!) So he is going to try to make a more concentrated effort at making more time for the children, even if it means getting up earlier in the evening.

In fact, Ruth told me that he had said he would “try” to get up earlier last night, and to come over and see her off to work, but she did not believe he would actually make it. She said she would just have to wait and see. Lo and behold, the door opened, and in walks Mr. Froggie! He saw Ruth off to work, then stayed behind with me while I did an arts and crafts activity with the children. One of them remembered at the last minute that she had some reading homework to do, so instead of doing art with us, she sat and read with Daddy. :)

Another issue that came up, was that the teen daughter had had another distressing blow up with her mother. During that heated heart-to-heart, she stated that she did not like us all spending so much time together, because she knows that we are just going to leave, like everyone else who has ever come into her life. Poor kid, I guess we will just have to wait her out, and perhaps one day when she is grown up and married, with a life of her own, and she sees we are still here, then she will believe us.

However… later that evening, when it was bedtime, Mr. Froggie was excusing himself to go and get ready for work himself. He told the children he needed good night loves, and Teen Daughter was the first one to leap off the couch to collect her hug. LOL.

Then, after the little ones were in bed, as I was leaving, Teen Daughter called out, “Hey!” I turned, and she said, “I love you.” When I returned the sentiment, she asked if I would be back “tomorrow,” which is actually Today now. I told her I wasn’t sure, since it was my day off, and her mother’s also, but I probably would because “I’m addicted to this family.” She smiled and said, “Then I’ll probably see you tomorrow then.”

So that pretty much catches us up. Ruth and Mr. Froggie have gone to pick up the children from school together, since it is snowing, and he will watch the little ones while Ruth takes the other for a doctor appointment. And we will be having dinner together—Ruth had two roasts in the fridge that need to be cooked up, so I went over and got them, and am roasting them here, at my house. Ruth and Mr. Froggie are supposed to have more couple time this evening as well. If I need to go and watch the children so they can, then I will be happy to do that. :)

One more thing I forgot to add: Ruth told me and Mr. Froggie this morning that she was disappointed in Teen Daughter's boyfriend, because he lied to her about something. But the good that came out of it was that Teen Daughter then stepped forward and told the truth.

When we asked if she had told Teen Daughter she was pleased with her for telling the truth (lying is a behavior problem exhibited by all five of the children, to varying degrees), Ruth admitted she had not. She sounded like it was a burden for her, and when I stated that positive reinforcement is very important, she said, "I know--- you people and your happy-happy-joy-joy!" I mocked her back, saying she was just jealous. Meanwhile, Mr. Froggie is telling me with his eyes that I hit a nerve, and at the same time Ruth admitted, "Yeah, I am."

Apparently there is an underlying "something" in this exchange that speaks volumes, but I haven't quite deciphered it just yet. I do know that expressing pleasure and appreciation for her children seems to be difficult for Ruth, and that is something we need to help her work on, because her children need more positive reinforcement in their lives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back