• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Prayer request Getting My House In Order

NickF

Seasoned Member
Real Person
Male
Please be praying for me and my house. It's been quite enlightening to dig into scripture and pray about this. I've been aware of and endorsed biblical marriage for 20+ years, led my betrothed 13 years ago when we were engaged, to make sure we were using biblical vows for our marriage ceremony. (you can read those in my intro post) I’ll call her “Bug” She is not at all on board with biblical marriage just yet. She agrees that it is scripturally acceptable but thinks she can't handle it because she wasn’t raised that way. I agree with her. She isn't mentally and emotionally capable or submitted to God and me enough to handle something like that. She needs a LOT more time to chew on the idea and be reassured I’m not ditching her for a younger, sexier, fun model. Wish I could brag by showing pictures cause my gosh she’s super model level hotness in my eyes. So to me it's silly to feel that way, but I understand her feelings will be different than my reality. Just gotta be patient with a woman who doesn't have enough faith just yet.

So this year is all about fixing myself, not convincing her. I've been lazy and abdicated my position in small ways. I've had the wrong mindset for far too long. I thought I was being a Godly patriarchal man, but I actually haven't. I wrote a letter (didn’t give it, instead held onto it for a while to think and consider) asking my wife to get on board with me for goodness sake... Last night after sharing my letter with a friend and asking for counsel on it before giving it to her, I realized that my attitude was wrong. I shouldn't be asking for her permission and acceptance to do my job and lead the family. (duh I know) I may rewrite the letter to just encourage people and post that later.

So today over coffee I simply informed her that I had been a piss poor example of a Godly man and leader. I have repented of that and am getting my house in order. I told her that it's "my house" not hers, not “ours”. That I will be leading my sons in a study of the life of David and that I'd like her to join us. That I haven't been diligent and disciplined. I've let laziness dictate what projects got done and things have piled up. That I'm taking care of those items not to make her happy, but because it's my responsibility before God to do so. That I am expecting her to be a Godly woman. She has always had the intention to be submissive and Godly, but has been influenced by hallmark movies and hollywood way too much. For instance, she raised her eyebrows and said “our house” when I mentioned something I was going to be designing into “my house” when I built it. Nothing really overt, but if you pay attention you can see and hear those influences poking out all over the place.

She instantly responds positively if I say we aren’t doing something or going somewhere. She will come to me when she is overwhelmed with church nursery duty because she knows there’s safety in my authority and that I will step in to let church organizers know she’s not on nursery duty anymore. Things like that are commonplace. So don’t misunderstand and think I’m saying she’s a bad wife or super rebellious. I think if I put my foot down and said “We are living Plural” she would probably be broken hearted and cry but obey. But that is the last thing I want. I never want to hurt her and that would destroy her confidence and trust in me. She’s really amazing and wonderful but I realize I’ve allowed too many little darts to imbed their insidious doctrines into both of our psyches. Little worldly bits of feminism and egalitarianism. I’ve been thoroughly denounced by lots of people for being a misogynistic patriarchal abusive arsehole because I am anti-feminist. But I can still smell the feminist slime in my house. Gotta purge it all out.

She asked me if I thought it might be a good idea for her to fast next week. I said it would probably be a great thing if she sincerely wanted God’s direction. So she is going to be fasting and praying next week asking God to give her guidance and wisdom as she goes through the Bible this year. She’s going to be discussing what she reads with me and asking for me to explain things to her and clarify. I told her I wanted her to make it a point to read and pay attention to Godly women and the position she is to hold in relationship to her husband. All I did was direct what she was already doing and focus her on a particular topic. She agreed and looked happy to do so. I pray God softens her heart to Godly submission and my leadership. Even if no second wife ever happens, the fruit will be joyful and good.

I told her my focus this year is to lead and work with my boys more than I have already. And to guide her perspective and correct if she has wrong thinking about marriage and responsibilities. And that at the end of this year my goal is for her to have not a single shred of doubt about my love and commitment to care for and lead her until the day she dies. She smiled and accepted this, looked a bit relieved and happy. So unless God moves her mightily between now and August, we won’t be attending the meetup. I have a feeling she will need more time to adjust and grow in trust and submission to me and to God. That’s my main goal, not a second wife, but a first wife in total submission to God and his design for women. And of course that won’t happen if I’m not first a Man in total submission to God as my head and obeying His design for men.

So with all that said… Will you guys all be praying for us as we go about our lives this year. That God speaks clearly to us both, that we will grow in the knowledge and understanding of how God wants us to live and relate to one another. And that even if it’s hard to accept, that we will both be willing to submit to His authority and design for our lives.

In Christ,
Nick & “Bug”

P.S. *Edit* If anybody wishes to give their opinions or thoughts on this all, please don't hesitate. I have no objections to men or women giving their thoughts and opinions, and don't count it as "teaching" me or usurping authority.

Last edited:
I will pray, and I'll also say the following:
  • Be cautious about multiplying the requirements you expect of yourself before you're supposedly ready to be a plural husband; the list can end up having a life of its own (to infinity and beyond). No doubt to be the husband of more than one wife requires a bigger toolbox than being the husband of just one wife, but neither requires perfection or sainthood -- and if your "full patriarchy" gets wedded up to any kind of system in which your wife makes the judgment about whether or not you're ready, prepare yourself for goalposts that move more quickly than the average NFL running back.
  • Being patient is definitely recommended. At the same time, though, I very humbly recommend that you make attending the Biblical Families in-person gatherings a top priority. There is no better way for your wife to not only discover that polygamists don't have three heads on top of three wives -- but also experience having women who very thoroughly comprehend what she's going through; some will be going through it themselves, and others will still remember what it was like to be in her shoes but have enough wisdom, insight and growth behind them to help her plot her way forward without just digging in her heels.

One possibility to bring up is a question about whether it is selfish to not believe a wife has the ability to share her husband.
“I’ve got mine, too bad about you” is not exactly a Christlike attitude.
Talk with her about the dearth of good men that are actually available to these women. Why are the women condemned to single life when Yah has provided a system for them to have covering?

1 Timothy 5:9-11 talks about the community taking care of older widows, but refusing to care (as a community) for the younger ones. Which means that some family has to absorb them into their household. They must become a wife.
Nowadays we let the government provide for them, but that leaves them without covering and headship.

As a woman I do not indend to teach, and will certainly pray.
Of possible intrest in your situation, I do recall that the observation of the plural men on this site was that, if a marriage had the proper foundation and the wife was in her place, it was scalable, meaning another wife could be added without the marriage failing.

A point I don't see made in the above comments (that have excellent points of their own) is that a woman might fear losing the intimate emotional connection, or fear another wife will take away from that area of her life. In reality (and I know that it is up to the individuals, not a given) a wife may find some of her needs relating to compassion and support (someone who "gets it" relating to her struggles) in that very sisterwife she is afraid of adding.

Waiting until you are "ready" for plural might be just a bit like waiting to have children. It sounds responsible, but christian life is more about having faith then having skills. I still like the 4-H moto "Learn by doing." ;)

This is on the wall at our house, since my hubby was a boy.

Living faith

Doubt sees the obstacles, faith sees the way.
Doubt sees the darkest night, faith sees the day.
Doubt fears to take a step, faith soars on high.
Doubt questions "Who believes?" Faith anwers "I"

Great thoughts and responses, thanks all! I'll respond more in a few days when I have some time. Currently packing 16 grand worth of tree orders to be shipped out on Monday. Gotta burn some midnight oil to get it all done.

Thanks for all you have written Nick and I'm praying for you and your family.
She is not at all on board with biblical marriage just yet. She agrees that it is scripturally acceptable but thinks she can't handle it because she wasn’t raised that way.
Just a thought here. When people say such things as these about biblical marriage, my question is; "So, you want an unbiblical marriage? You want me to lead you in our relationship in a way that we now know is inconsistent with what God says?"

Sure, work on getting your house in order but keep in mind you will not have it finished this side of glory. If God gives you another wife, that's His choice; if He doesn't, that's also His choice but you need to be as open to what He might do now as you were with the wife you currently have. Was your house already in order when He gave her to you? Proverbs 19:14 tells us, "...a prudent wife is from the Lord". Our God is awesome in His blessings and provisions for us - and that includes the women He places under our care - so be expectant always. You might find He gives you the very one you need to help getting your house in order. Shalom

• Be cautious about multiplying the requirements you expect of yourself before you're supposedly ready to be a plural husband; the list can end up having a life of its own (to infinity and beyond). No doubt to be the husband of more than one wife requires a bigger toolbox than being the husband of just one wife, but neither requires perfection or sainthood -- and if your "full patriarchy" gets wedded up to any kind of system in which your wife makes the judgment about whether or not you're ready, prepare yourself for goalposts that move more quickly than the average NFL running back.
  • Being patient is definitely recommended. At the same time, though, I very humbly recommend that you make attending the Biblical Families in-person gatherings a top priority. There is no better way for your wife to not only discover that polygamists don't have three heads on top of three wives -- but also experience having women who very thoroughly comprehend what she's going through; some will be going through it themselves, and others will still remember what it was like to be in her shoes but have enough wisdom, insight and growth behind them to help her plot her way forward without just digging in her heels.
1- Having a wife and a house in order and ready to entice a second is a good idea no matter if a man is interested in a second so that is what I'm doing. I'm far from perfect but I do recognize my biggest shortcomings and shames, so I'm working to rectify those. My wife isn't involved really at all at this point. I am merely understanding that she is not mentally or emotionally ready at this point in time. Like being a good horseman, you need to know when to walk that horse and when you can gallop. There must first be enough trust between you and your charge to accomplish the feat before attempting or else risk destroying years of built trust.
2- If at ALL possible I can assure you that attending the soonest meeting will be one of my life's top priorities.

One possibility to bring up is a question about whether it is selfish to not believe a wife has the ability to share her husband.
“I’ve got mine, too bad about you” is not exactly a Christlike attitude.
Talk with her about the dearth of good men that are actually available to these women. Why are the women condemned to single life when Yah has provided a system for them to have covering?

1 Timothy 5:9-11 talks about the community taking care of older widows, but refusing to care (as a community) for the younger ones. Which means that some family has to absorb them into their household. They must become a wife.
Nowadays we let the government provide for them, but that leaves them without covering and headship.

Oh yeah buddy, it is selfishness. But I can also have enough grace and patience to understand that in her mind this was never a possibility. And she needs time to get used to the idea before I go off like a wild hare. I am confident that her wisdom and deep tenderness will one day come to the full realization that there are other women out there who deserve a good man and that she could indeed share. Just gonna take some patience, gentleness, and time to win her heart over to God's ideas. And yeah, I'm reading through the great omission right now. Should be a good book for her to go through in time.

As a woman I do not indend to teach, and will certainly pray.
Of possible intrest in your situation, I do recall that the observation of the plural men on this site was that, if a marriage had the proper foundation and the wife was in her place, it was scalable, meaning another wife could be added without the marriage failing.

A point I don't see made in the above comments (that have excellent points of their own) is that a woman might fear losing the intimate emotional connection, or fear another wife will take away from that area of her life. In reality (and I know that it is up to the individuals, not a given) a wife may find some of her needs relating to compassion and support (someone who "gets it" relating to her struggles) in that very sisterwife she is afraid of adding.

Waiting until you are "ready" for plural might be just a bit like waiting to have children. It sounds responsible, but christian life is more about having faith then having skills. I still like the 4-H moto "Learn by doing." ;)

I for one always appreciate the perspective of a woman on these matters. So to any of you ladies out there with the freedom to share your thoughts; please don't hesitate on my account. I have no trouble saying "you're out of line, go home and make biscuits" if you somehow overstep some imaginary boundary. Most likely I'd just ignore the slight :)

If Solomon had trouble figuring out the way of a man with a maid, who am I to presume I have it figured out?
As to the scalable thing, this is exactly what I'm working towards. I've realized how insidious feminism and the world has seeped into my own mind and life, let alone my wife's. I have to first start by pulling some weeds, and pruning some shoots, then a little more, and a little more before I can try grafting a new branch onto the tree.

Exactly so, I think her main fears (although I don't think she could quantify) is that her real fears are replacement of my affection and devotion. Not that I have no room for more, but that she feels inadequate and that the pursuit of a second would be tantamount to pursuit of a replacement. That she would become the old worn out toy, discarded in the heap. That the shiny new fun toy would be receiving all my love and attention. I know she would absolutely be over the moon with someone who could be sensitive to her needs and gentle with her. It would make me happier than seeing my first born son to find someone who would be closer than a sister to her. Oh man I'd give every christmas of my childhood and future to have that one gift for her.

My motto has been for years, "do good things" and "don't let perfect be the enemy of good". To that end, I'd rather see someone gardening with conventional pesticides and fertilizers, get some delicious fruits and get hooked on growing their own food. Than see someone brand new try the beyond organic route, fail at every turn, and give up because it's too hard to jump that learning curve. Because the person starting out who did "good enough" will go farther than the person who shot for the moon and gave up never to try again. Success isn't measured in how many times you try and succeed. It's measured in how many failures you brushed off to succeeded eventually.

Just a thought here. When people say such things as these about biblical marriage, my question is; "So, you want an unbiblical marriage? You want me to lead you in our relationship in a way that we now know is inconsistent with what God says?"

Sure, work on getting your house in order but keep in mind you will not have it finished this side of glory. If God gives you another wife, that's His choice; if He doesn't, that's also His choice but you need to be as open to what He might do now as you were with the wife you currently have. Was your house already in order when He gave her to you? Proverbs 19:14 tells us, "...a prudent wife is from the Lord". Our God is awesome in His blessings and provisions for us - and that includes the women He places under our care - so be expectant always. You might find He gives you the very one you need to help getting your house in order. Shalom

Amen, amen. Good words here. Thank you for this.

I've realized how insidious feminism and the world has seeped into my own mind and life, let alone my wife's.
Ever heard of ChristyOMisty? I heard about here here. She did a series on feminism. GOOD STUFF!
Link to the first one here.

She is easy to listen to, and if you like blue eyed blondes, she is easy on the eyes too.

I'll listen, I remember seeing one of her videos years ago.

And I married a blue eyed blonde ;) But I think they're all beautiful in their own ways.

Ever heard of ChristyOMisty? I heard about here here. She did a series on feminism. GOOD STUFF!

She is easy to listen to, and if you like blue eyed blondes, she is easy on the eyes too.
I think she's a Fox News Channel reporter now.

Please be praying for me and my house. It's been quite enlightening to dig into scripture and pray about this. I've been aware of and endorsed biblical marriage for 20+ years, led my betrothed 13 years ago when we were engaged, to make sure we were using biblical vows for our marriage ceremony. (you can read those in my intro post) I’ll call her “Bug” She is not at all on board with biblical marriage just yet. She agrees that it is scripturally acceptable but thinks she can't handle it because she wasn’t raised that way. I agree with her. She isn't mentally and emotionally capable or submitted to God and me enough to handle something like that. She needs a LOT more time to chew on the idea and be reassured I’m not ditching her for a younger, sexier, fun model. Wish I could brag by showing pictures cause my gosh she’s super model level hotness in my eyes. So to me it's silly to feel that way, but I understand her feelings will be different than my reality. Just gotta be patient with a woman who doesn't have enough faith just yet.

So this year is all about fixing myself, not convincing her. I've been lazy and abdicated my position in small ways. I've had the wrong mindset for far too long. I thought I was being a Godly patriarchal man, but I actually haven't. I wrote a letter (didn’t give it, instead held onto it for a while to think and consider) asking my wife to get on board with me for goodness sake... Last night after sharing my letter with a friend and asking for counsel on it before giving it to her, I realized that my attitude was wrong. I shouldn't be asking for her permission and acceptance to do my job and lead the family. (duh I know) I may rewrite the letter to just encourage people and post that later.

So today over coffee I simply informed her that I had been a piss poor example of a Godly man and leader. I have repented of that and am getting my house in order. I told her that it's "my house" not hers, not “ours”. That I will be leading my sons in a study of the life of David and that I'd like her to join us. That I haven't been diligent and disciplined. I've let laziness dictate what projects got done and things have piled up. That I'm taking care of those items not to make her happy, but because it's my responsibility before God to do so. That I am expecting her to be a Godly woman. She has always had the intention to be submissive and Godly, but has been influenced by hallmark movies and hollywood way too much. For instance, she raised her eyebrows and said “our house” when I mentioned something I was going to be designing into “my house” when I built it. Nothing really overt, but if you pay attention you can see and hear those influences poking out all over the place.

She instantly responds positively if I say we aren’t doing something or going somewhere. She will come to me when she is overwhelmed with church nursery duty because she knows there’s safety in my authority and that I will step in to let church organizers know she’s not on nursery duty anymore. Things like that are commonplace. So don’t misunderstand and think I’m saying she’s a bad wife or super rebellious. I think if I put my foot down and said “We are living Plural” she would probably be broken hearted and cry but obey. But that is the last thing I want. I never want to hurt her and that would destroy her confidence and trust in me. She’s really amazing and wonderful but I realize I’ve allowed too many little darts to imbed their insidious doctrines into both of our psyches. Little worldly bits of feminism and egalitarianism. I’ve been thoroughly denounced by lots of people for being a misogynistic patriarchal abusive arsehole because I am anti-feminist. But I can still smell the feminist slime in my house. Gotta purge it all out.

She asked me if I thought it might be a good idea for her to fast next week. I said it would probably be a great thing if she sincerely wanted God’s direction. So she is going to be fasting and praying next week asking God to give her guidance and wisdom as she goes through the Bible this year. She’s going to be discussing what she reads with me and asking for me to explain things to her and clarify. I told her I wanted her to make it a point to read and pay attention to Godly women and the position she is to hold in relationship to her husband. All I did was direct what she was already doing and focus her on a particular topic. She agreed and looked happy to do so. I pray God softens her heart to Godly submission and my leadership. Even if no second wife ever happens, the fruit will be joyful and good.

I told her my focus this year is to lead and work with my boys more than I have already. And to guide her perspective and correct if she has wrong thinking about marriage and responsibilities. And that at the end of this year my goal is for her to have not a single shred of doubt about my love and commitment to care for and lead her until the day she dies. She smiled and accepted this, looked a bit relieved and happy. So unless God moves her mightily between now and August, we won’t be attending the meetup. I have a feeling she will need more time to adjust and grow in trust and submission to me and to God. That’s my main goal, not a second wife, but a first wife in total submission to God and his design for women. And of course that won’t happen if I’m not first a Man in total submission to God as my head and obeying His design for men.

So with all that said… Will you guys all be praying for us as we go about our lives this year. That God speaks clearly to us both, that we will grow in the knowledge and understanding of how God wants us to live and relate to one another. And that even if it’s hard to accept, that we will both be willing to submit to His authority and design for our lives.

In Christ,
Nick & “Bug”

P.S. *Edit* If anybody wishes to give their opinions or thoughts on this all, please don't hesitate. I have no objections to men or women giving their thoughts and opinions, and don't count it as "teaching" me or usurping authority.
What a humble and responsible way to move forward. It's so easy to fall into routine. We get busy during our everyday lives and neglect what we should be doing at times. I'll be praying for you and your family.

Thanks for that link! Enjoyed five or six ChristyOMisty videos while on the road today. Dated, but really good. And, as @Keith Martin said, easy on the eyes. She's cute!

@PeteR I'm glad you enjoyed the videos!

I'm gonna try not to overthink....or even contemplate at all, how you got me mixed up with someone else. *shrugs * and *grins*

So this year is all about fixing myself, not convincing her. I've been lazy and abdicated my position in small ways. I've had the wrong mindset for far too long. I thought I was being a Godly patriarchal man, but I actually haven't.

This is the key to true Leadership in a Godly household! A real man is man enough to put aside his ego and critically examine himself and see if there be any way in which he can improve. And then he does it not for anyone else but to please God and for his own improvement as a man.

Your family will see this and so will others. And they will follow your leadership because you are becoming a credible leader.

God bless you and keep you and your house!

Psalm 139:23-24 comes to mind here.

Search me, O God, and know my heart: try me, and know my thoughts: And see if there be any wicked way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting.

What you are doing is an expression of faith.

And, by the way, my saying she is now a Fox News correspondent was me being tongue-in-cheek: there just happens to be a chick currently planted in Ukraine who looks almost exactly like her, but they can't possibly even be close in age.

Back