• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Global polygamy statistics

Interesting

"Polygamy is rare"​

No it isn't. It's just that in most societies they won't call it out for what it is.

In the USA a man like Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger can have a wife and family and a mistress and a family and that is socially acceptable behavior. There has been no long term impact on him for this action.

In Japan not only do executives and government officials have mistresses (and sometimes families) this is an obligatory behavior for them and they're considered odd if they do not do this. Years ago we did an interview with a Japanese newspaper and they were fine with us living like we do and they considered it progress because plurals/mistresses are not treated as well in Japan.

Black men in the USA are celebrated for having a harem of "baby mamas" and they get very little criticism for their feral behavior.

European men also do the 'mistress' charade and get away with it.

The only thing 'rare' about polygamy is when men commit to their plurals and take care of them as part of the family.

"Polygamy is rare"​

No it isn't. It's just that in most societies they won't call it out for what it is.
The only thing 'rare' about polygamy is when men commit to their plurals and take care of them as part of the family.
I see your point and it is a good one, but I also have to push back a bit.

Those seem to be examples of polyamory "multiple loves" aka whoring/sexual immorality, not polygamy "multiple marriages".

There is no lifelong covenant between these people. Like you said, the man doesn't commit to the plurals and take care of them as family.

Likewise, the women do not submit exclusively to the man, have sexual relations with him only, follow his leadership, function as helpmates, or properly raise up godly seed.

The "baby mamas" normally also have multiple "baby daddies". That isn't polygamy, it is just immorality.

I do agree that they call out "monogamy only" as a sham.

Back