• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

God does not Condone Polygyny!!!

DaPastor

Real Person
Some of us do not understand what we are saying when we say that we believe that God "condones" polygyny. I believe that it is important for us to share our position as accurately as possible. Here is something I wrote recently that may help you find better words to use when promoting the plural aspect of Biblical Marriage.

I prefer to state our position this way: God approves of plural marriage throughout the Bible.

As you will see, God doesn't merely condone the practice of plural marriage. All the words from the dictionary will be in blue:

Dictionary.com -- "Condone"

1. to disregard or overlook (something illegal, objectionable, or the like).

A. God does not consider polygyny illegal or objectionable. If this were the case, He would not have made provision for polygyny in His Holy Law, nor used Himself as an example of a practicing polygynist!

B. He does not disregard or overlook sin. If this were the case, then the Cross of Christ has no value! God does not condone sin in His people! He never has and never will. God is 100% Holy. God brings people to repentance over their sin through many means, but that is not the same as "overlooking sin".

2. to give tacit approval to: By his silence, he seemed to condone their behavior.

A. God actually gave more than tacit approval to polygyny. He regulated it in His Law. In fact, He made it so that in some cases men were forced to practice polygyny (Levirite Law).

B. God's silence against His people doesn't give "tacit approval", for there was not need for God to speak against a practice that He allowed for in His own Law. His approval was already given. The silence of God merely confirmed it!

3. to pardon or forgive (an offense); excuse.

A. There isn't any passage where God informed His people that they needed pardon or forgiveness for practicing polygyny.

B. Pardon or forgiveness was never necessary for practicing polygyny.

4. to cause the condonation of.

The actions of practicing polygynists did not require an action of condonation.

5. to forgive or act so as to imply forgiveness of (a violation of the marriage vow).

There was never a need for God to forgive an action that He made provision for in His Law. So, in reality, based upon the primary definition of "condone", God does not condone, that is, overlook sin. God approves of plural marriage - period!

Another fact to impart is that there is no word in the bible for monogamy or polygamy. God makes no distinction between the two. Where God shows his favor towards marriage, he shows his favor towards plural marriage.

Both very good points

Memphis Dwight said:
Another fact to impart is that there is no word in the bible for monogamy or polygamy. God makes no distinction between the two. Where God shows his favor towards marriage, he shows his favor towards plural marriage.

I agree. God is pro marriage - period!

Back