• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

God's new name?

The one who is victorious I will make a pillar in the temple of my God. Never again will they leave it. I will write on them the name of my God and the name of the city of my God, the new Jerusalem, which is coming down out of heaven from my God; and I will also write on them my new name.
Revelation 3:12 NIV 2010

Him that overcometh will I make a pillar in the temple of my God, and he shall go no more out: and I will write upon him the name of my God, and the name of the city of my God, which is new Jerusalem, which cometh down out of heaven from my God: and I will write upon him my new name.
Revelation 3:12 King James

What does it mean by "my new name"

DiscussingTheTopic said:
The one who is victorious I will make a pillar in the temple of my God. Never again will they leave it. I will write on them the name of my God and the name of the city of my God, the new Jerusalem, which is coming down out of heaven from my God; and I will also write on them my new name.

Him that overcometh will I make a pillar in the temple of my God, and he shall go no more out: and I will write upon him the name of my God, and the name of the city of my God, which is new Jerusalem, which cometh down out of heaven from my God: and I will write upon him my new name.

I checked on Blue Letter Bible, the Greek word being used here is given as kainos. It is said to b of "uncertain" meaning. One of its possible meanings is fresh, & unused, or unworn. Fresh like still alive having vital energy, like fresh picked fruit. Or unworn, like clean ironed shirt fresh from the laundry. So, untainted?

I read those verses to mean that God has a name that He will give to ME that has never been uttered before. Not so much that He has a new name. But, I may be wrong!

DiscussingTheTopic said:

I believe its talking about those that overcome being chosen or accounted for and recognized/known by God.. Those that are marked as one of His, those with the wedding garments

We believe that the Hebrew word translated name has more meaning then name does in English. Shem in the Hebrew was more then a handle, it was descriptive of the one it was attached to. So when the Bible talks about God's people knowing His name, it is saying (at least in our opinion) that His people will know His character.

So this verse in revelation sounds like it is describing born again believers, people that have his new name (per Isaiah 62:2) and are living in the new covenant having His spirit and His law written on their hearts. In a word Christians.

Back