• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Hateful ideologies

Isabella

What happens when you come across a person with a hateful ideology in a community setting? Like for example if they were Nazis, racists or some other such thing? Would you challenge that publicly? Or would you ask them not to bring up the subject but still extend friendship and fellowship?

Just curious,
Bels

I feel it is the responsibility of one not being targeted to defend those that are. For instance, as a white, non-Jew, I feel it would be my place to address a Nazi sympathizer. Now, how that is done would have to be case by case, and depend largely on my role within said community.

First, I'd make sure I was accurate in my assessment of whether or not someone was being hateful, and the spirit they were acting in. I've heard people say things that they obviously picked up from a grandparent or something, without knowing that what they were saying was actually prejudicial.

Soon after we adopted our daughter, she said while we were eating once that you shouldn't eat watermelon seeds or you'd have a black baby. Whoah. Now, she was 9, and really doesn't have a racist bone in her body, so this was really just a teaching moment about repeating things without understanding them, not a deep issue twisted up in her heart. It called for a gentle, maybe even humorous response.

Once it is clear though that what someone says or does is based on a solid core of hate, well, that's a different story. My first response is to try and educate and change hearts and minds. At the same time though, I feel it is my duty to protect others from that hate, and to ensure a community free of that kind of influence.

Make sense?

If by "community setting" you mean a discussion forum, I'd most definitely let it lie. "It takes two to tango," as the saying goes, and feeding trolls only makes them grow larger.

Upbraiding people on forums is tempting, but netspace operates within the imagination and community here is only what we each imagine it to be.

This particular site benefits from the presence of a number of people who get together in real life (where tangible community resides) and who also happen to be nice folk — and even all that isn't enough to stem every imaginal conflict. Fortunately, though, the occasional molehill here rarely manages to build into a mountain of added comments.

Thank you both for your replies, it has given me something to think about :)

I agree with UG.
I know people who are racist, or at least say racist things. They wouldn't hurt a person of a different race but they certainly object to them existing. These are actually really lovely people and ones of an older generation. This hate was passed down through generations and some of it is through experience (ie, hatred of Japanese because of what they did in the war).
There really is no point trying to have a discussion with them about it, they're old and stuck in their ways, and they're not hurting anyone, just having an opinion.

Online I wouldn't even bother, unless someone was calling themselves a wonderful Christian and still putting forth hate, then I may call them out on it. Jesus wasn't white, people!

I will intervene if a friend is being hurt in some way, even if that is online.

Would I still remain friends with someone who acted in a racist way? Absolutely. Everyone is entitled to an opinion even if theirs is different from mine.

What would I do if I came across someone with a hateful ideology in a community setting? If more specifics are offered I'll answer more specifically, but in the meantime I'll respond by saying I would do what I could to ensure the best end result for the community.

For your consideration:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLrLOqrhUyY

I always find it interesting when certain Christians can see through the lies promoted by the general population in one area, and then completely miss it in other areas. Polygyny is one of those areas where it is so taboo and off limits, that it is not really allowed to be debated. And you would never find a father who would ever give away his virgin daughter to be the 2nd wife of a man. God forbid! he would exclaim. But the reason why my family even considers polygyny as an option is because we have decided not to be conformed to the world (Romans 12:2) and that in a generation where Americans have wholeheartedly rejected the counsel of the LORD, if something is a popular opinion, it is usually wrong. All that to say, I don't believe our generation knows things better than previous generations. I think we are doing much worse in our thinking.

Enter the issue of race, racism, Nazism, and "hate". All of these labels are entirely ambiguous and meaningless because they are so over-used and abused. Christians are labeled as "haters" because they don't believe in accepting something that God hates, in Sodomy. But when you examine the fruit of the actions of both sides, the people doing the hating are actually those opposing the Christians. We Christians are opposed, slandered, called names, sued in the court of law, and discriminated against in the market and workplace, bullied into submission because we will not believe in their Marxism. What makes someone "full of hate" isn't actual hate, but a refusal to bow the knee to Baal and rather submitting to God's ways. It is no different when thinking about the terms "Nazi and Racist".

Where I work, there is a certain race of people who always sit together when at meetings or anything they do. This doesn't matter what department it is either. In general, this group sticks together. Why? Because they love each other and are more comfortable with each other than other groups. This is not wrong (they are not the same race as me) for them to do so. I also prefer my own people.

If I were to start a business of my own, and I had to start building a staff, and say, that my children wanted to work for me, and so did your children; who do you think I am going to hire? My children, of course; even if your children are more qualified than mine. Why? Because I love my children more than I love yours. I prefer to work with them more than I prefer to work with your children. They know me better, they understand my thinking better, and can relate to me better. If I had to choose between my cousin and yours, I would choose mine also. And along down the family tree you could go to understand my point.

So when someone has a business and prefers to work with someone in his distant extended family more than he prefer to work or do business with people of other groups, and prefers people who he is more familiar with, trusts more, knows better, is more closely related to, etc.; he is automatically labeled a Nazi, KKK leader, who wants to kill everyone who is not like him. This is insanity, but this is how it goes. Such a man is ostracized from society and is "in the closet" to borrow a term of the sodomites. He is oftentimes deprived of a living. But he is considered the person who "hates". It is actually the opposite.

Would I be considered a "racist" because I prefer that any wife I take to be a certain race, and of a certain national origin? Sadly, I probably would be by most people in this country. But love for one's own is not equivalent to hate for others. I do not hate your family because I love my family more than yours. Why should I get lumped into the same category as a guy like Theodore Kauffman (A Jew), who wrote a book "Germany Must Perish", calling for the genocide of all Germans?

Anyhow, much more can be said, but I do not wish to debate, just give understanding where misunderstandings appear to abound. Don't get sucked into the terminology and buy into the philosophy of those who hate Christ, and are trying to rebuild the Tower of Babel!

There's a big difference between starting a family business that hires family first though and racially preferential hiring practices or avoiding doing business with "people of other groups". The Bible, and Jesus in particular has some pretty strong stuff to say about excluding people. The parable of the Good Samaritan for example. There, someone was trying to twist Jesus own words (to love thy neighbor) into what basically amounted to justifying racism. Jesus though responds with the parable, highlighting a priest and a Levite's elitist and unloving attitudes as wrong. He goes further to make a Samaritan, a racial group looked down on by the Jewish people at the time, the hero of the story, and the one person to show God's love and compassion.

So where does the defining of comfort within one's own group draw it's line? You talk about family, and cousins, and I get that, but the implication is that someone with a different skin tone is inherently less like you, or less related, than someone with the same skin tone. That seems silly to me. Is some random white guy from Pittsburg somehow more closely related to me than a black guy from my own home town? No of course not. Even from an ancestry standpoint the odds of me and the guy from Pittsburg sharing DNA more than me and the guy from my hometown are pretty low.

We're to go out into all the world and teach the good news. Yes, we need to guard our hearts from corruption, but this isn't the same thing as cloistering ourselves away from the world, or practicing intolerance. Jesus hung out with the dregs of humanity, and he changed them. Not by berating them, or by preaching angrily at them, but by showing them love and compassion. In fact, one of the most common things he did was to put himself between them and those who would use the law and the scripture to persecute them.

In my view, we're all made in the image of God. I really don't care if someone has preferences for physical traits in choosing a mate. I think you'd be cutting yourself off from a lot of awesome people if that preference is an actual criteria, but hey, that's your call. I like redheads personally, but if I had some kind of "redheads only" rule, I'd have missed out on the last 15 years with my awesome wife!

Yep. On the dot, sir.

Caucasians looking down on colored people... Chinese calling whites guai loh (foreign devil)...

I may not have a thorough understanding of the Scriptures but I'm pretty sure racism is not part of God's nature.

Even if people do not act out racism, there's still that NT part where the commandments were supposedly written in our hearts already instead of on stone tablets and parchments and sinning in our hearts is the same as sinning in actions.

Even back when I was still lost, I already have negative feelings against people who act superior to others because of skin color, money or whatever it is they think they have that makes them better than others.

Now I know why... conscience.

Pebble, I believe that you are giving voice to the same thing Paul wrote to the Philippians. Phil 2:3 "Don't do anything only to get ahead. Don't do it because you are proud. Instead, be free of pride. Think of others as better than yourselves."

In a nutshell, this sums up how we should think of every other human being on the planet. It is a wondrous thing that God puts His message deep in the hearts of all mankind. Some are better than others at accessing it before they really know Christ. Some are also better than others at understanding it after they come to Christ.

I believe it is normal and natural to want to be with people who are like you, but that is not the same as being hateful to other groups of people. Christians may sometimes be unfairly judged and sometimes we unfairly judge, that doesn't make either side right. When we truly live out the gospel, we don't judge anyone, rather we leave that to Jesus who is the judge of the living and the dead. (Acts 10:41-43)

Fortunately, God's grace is extended to us who aren't perfect yet. Still, to preach hate is, the way I read the Bible, not Godly.

The problem that I see with this kind of reasoning, is that it is being implied that if someone does not do all things and make all decisions in a color blind type of way, that automatically makes such a person, "someone who thinks he is better because of his skin color" and so on.

If I live in a town where certain groups of people commit the vast majority of murder and theft, then I would be wise to take more caution when dealing with that group of people. That doesn't mean I automatically exclude or hate that group of people and never show them love or charity or anything like that. That just means I am using wisdom. The same could be applied to hiring. If a certain group of people are known in a general way, to be more prone to theft, I am wise to take more caution in hiring from that group for my business. That doesn't mean I automatically exclude all candidates of that group, but that I take more caution.

You have to ascribe motivation to a person that does not even exist, to accuse someone of hating people just because they look different. There are many more factors involved than just skin color. A preference toward a certain group is not sinful in the least.

I'd disagree that preference towards a specific group, or more specifically against a certain group, is ok. Now, if by certain group you mean something like "the 3rd st gang", that's a different story. However that does not sound like the case. Just the aversion to naming the group, and only using terms like "certain groups" is telling, like, replacing all the instances of "certain group" with their actual descriptor would be inherently more contentious.

anapaedobaptist, race would not influence such decisions for me. There are examples of success and depravity in every color. Review an individual. If a person's verbal communication emphasizes every third sentence with cursing, manner of dress is disheveled, and interaction is threatening etc... I don't care what color he is, he's disqualified from representing my interests.

I have a problem with a person being excluded from consideration or having to go through additional screening due to race. Not just race alone, but race at all. WE are the human race. Don't disqualify yourself.

Back