• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Hello all!

UntoldGlory

Male
Hello, my name's Dan and my wife and I are new here and figured this was probably the place to start.

Little about why we're here:
My wife and I are both Christian, with a strong focus on family. We've talked about polygamy off and on for a few years now. First as part of a study to figure out what is really ok and not ok the Bible (vs what is just current thinking in the American Church). We then kind of moved on to thinking it could really have it's benefits, but wouldn't be realistic in the modern world. More recently, we stumbled onto TLC's Sister Wives (how I hadn't heard of it previously I have no idea) and started seriously discussing and praying about the poly lifestyle. There are aspects of the Brown's relationship that we dearly love, and areas we really think could be improved (we're not 100% caught up yet, but the 1 episode with the Dargers had me thinking they're a lot closer to what our structure might be like). Anyway, we're at the point now that we really would like to connect with people in the Poly lifestyle and get some "in the trenches" views. We're not afraid of really working on a relationship, and see many benefits, but we'd be silly not to seek out the wisdom of people more experienced than us!

Anyway, some demographics:
I'm 34, and my wife and I have been married for 15 years. So we're not exactly new at this whole marriage thing!
We've got three kids, our youngest is a 7 year old boy, then a 14 year old boy. Our oldest is actually already moved out, as we adopted her when she was 9, about a decade a go. We live in Nebraska, and have a pretty fantastic family life. We're not looking at polygamy as a way to "fix" something, but to expand and grow in new ways. Currently I work outside the home, while my wife home schools the kids and handles most of the domestic management. She's worked outside the home before (heck, she's the one with the Bachelor's!) and I've done most of the domestics at times, but currently I'm the one that can make more money at my job and get better benefits. I mention this because we've very far removed from some people's mental picture when I say my wife home schools!

Guess that's enough "wall of text" for now, hope to talk to some of you soon!

Good to meet you Dan, and welcome. Your journey here sounds very similar to that of many others. Look forward to getting to know you better. Read through the old discussions and feel free to add comments, there's a lot of good stuff there.

Welcome Dan! I hope you will encourage your wife to create her own username and have her share her thoughts with the ladies. We love new ladies and would like to encourage her as much as we can. May you find some good information, thought challenges and good friends here.

Hi, Dan, and welcome!

There's a group of us getting together in Dallas over Labor Day weekend. If you're interested in joining us, PM me and I'll give you details as they are nailed down.

Hello Dan and welcome to the best Biblical Families forum... (IMHO) take your time and read through all of the forums. Take a look at the resource area, read the recommended books, and listen to the audio files.... I have learned so much, and prayerfully you will too....

Hi! I'm Dan's wife, Cherie. I just wanted to introduce myself as well. Dan was kind enough to leave my age out since he hadn't checked with me about it, but I'm really not shy about my age. I'm 42.

I have started to tell my closer friends about our belief in plural marriage with positive and accepting responses. One of them wanted to know more about what the Bible says on the subject and I found some of the resources here helpful in explaining things better. The other one was just wondering where you would even find someone interested in participating in plural marriage. That, as I'm sure most of you know, is the (for lack of a better term) challenging part, but I'm confident that if God wants us to have another wife, He'll bring us together, just like He connected Dan and I.

I'm not sure what Dan means when he talks about "what people picture when I say my wife home schools", but I suppose I may be atypical of common public view of homeschoolers, though we seem fairly normal in our homeschool community. I do enjoy educating my boys and we are gearing up to start the new school year in a couple of weeks, so don't be surprised if you see a bit less of me after a couple of weeks.

Hi Cherie, The best way is to make friends and teach any prospective sister wife the Word in a mentor-student role. Then if she responds over time to the invitation to join the family its based on his teaching and mentoring role, that can be carried through marriage years and not mere chemistry; though chemistry is needed but must be guarded.

GloryGirl said:
I'm not sure what Dan means when he talks about "what people picture when I say my wife home schools"

This is basically what I meant:
survival-skills.jpg

I should point out, I certainly don't have anything against the Amish, and I know that they don't actually tend to home school. Just that the picture conjured to mind when a lot of people (probably not people on this particular forum) doesn't really fit us.

We like to have fun, and while we're certainly geeks, we're modern geek!

Lol! Well we homeschool, home birth, leave our family size up to God.... We get the looks too ha ha! One of my (non-Christian) friends turned up to my place and commented that my hair was tied up, she thought I must have a religious thing that it had to be long and down! It makes me wonder what else she was thinking without saying...

Anyway, welcome aboard! You'll find you could spend hours going through all the old stuff on here, just don't skip through it too quick or you'll miss/forget all the really good stuff :)

Cherie, we have a woman's chat on Tuesday nights, link is at the top of the main forum page. It'd be great to have you join us.

Thanks for the welcomes all. We've started digging through posts, but there is a lot here, that's for sure.

FH2 we've never done a home birth, but good on you for it!

We talked seriously about trying to make it to the Labor day weekend retreat, but with just finding these forums now and having used the lion's share of our vacation savings account recently, I doubt it will happen this time. Something to plan for though!

Welcome to the group, guys.

Back