• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Hello from Alaska

Polarfamily

We are a messianic, torah following family from Alaska. We have been married for 13 years and have 6 children. We are seeking a sister wife or two but are happy if YHWH does not send us any. I am the wife. I like to crochet, sew, and I am learning to make soap. My husband likes to build things and listen to music. He built our house and he is in the middle of remodeling my kitchen into a dream kitchen...well for me a dream kitchen :D We have raised chickens, turkeys and ducks plus a little gardening on our 5 acres. We would love to raise a couple of goats and a bucket calf but we were too late this year. My husband can hunt but prefers to stay home with the family. I don't think I am missing anything but if I am you can just ask :D
Blessings, Polarfamily.

Hi there and welcome! Alaska, interesting! I don't know much about Alaska, just the stereotypical stuff ie first thoughts were snow, cold, and bears! I'm sure it's much different to that!

How wonderful that you can sew. I can not sew! My hands just won't do it, I don't understand why. Perhaps if I could spend more time practicing I could learn. I currently have 3 wee ones and another on the way so am just trying to make it through life day by day at the moment! What kind of things do you like to sew?

Froggie, yes I homeschool. I enjoy teaching my children and knowing what they are learning. My husband had a bad experience in public school and I went to Christian schools so we both liked the idea of homeschooling.
Followinghim2, I have made each of the children quilts for when they were born and I make dresses and skirts for the girls and myself. I have not had much time to sew as I would like but when I get the time I do sew. Mostly I crochet. I have made each of the children baby afghans and I am in the process of making each of them twin sized afghans. I have 2 down and 4 more to go.

Hey, I crochet too! I even design/write my own patterns. I've made afghans for each of my siblings, my children, and my nieces & nephews. Like you, I don't really have the time anymore. I really need to get going on it again though, since I need to finish my sister's wedding present, and make blankets for her two step-sons, and five more for my god-children. :)

So this is going to sound silly but what are afghans? To me in NZ they are biscuits...

In the world of fiber arts, knitting, crocheting, weaving, etc., an "afghan" is a blanket that has been made entirely of yarn or thread, by knitting or crocheting.

In other contexts, an Afghan is a breed of dog, or it can refer to a culture of people living in Afghanistan.

Wow Froggie that is a lot of crocheting to do. Makes me tired just thinking of it all. I usually find time to crochet in the evenings when things have slowed down a bit. How about you do you have a preferred time to crochet? I also take my smaller projects with me on road trips and crochet while my husband is driving...I know its not for everyone :) my mom gets carsick easy and thinks I'm nuts for crocheting or reading while going down the road.
FollowingHim2 I started with a scrap quilt of 3 or 4 inch squares because it was easy with the straight lines. I made it when I was a teen. I guess I just went on from there. I used to sew during naptime when the children were little. I don't do any curves yet and I have yet to put a sleeve in but I am learning. Right now I have not sewed as much as I should be because we are trying to remodel our kitchen and I just don't have the room with everything shifted around. I did not answer your question about Alaska either...you are right its snowy, cold and pretty....Thankfully it does not last though :lol: It will be summer soon and that means it will be beautiful and green, as soon as all this snow goes away. We have about 3-4 months of summer and about 8-9 months of winter...We really don't have a spring its called breakup and that is when the ice and snow breaks up or melts...then we have puddles and mud...once the ground dries we have summer. Then at the end of the year we have somewhere around 2 weeks of fall or autumn when the leaves change colors and fall off the trees then its a short wait till snow again. Right now we are waiting for breakup to begin. I can't wait, I am so ready for warm weather. Oh yeah we are surrounded by mountains where we live and almost everywhere you travel here there are mountains nearby.

Wow, that's a lot of snow! Where we live, we get maybe 3 snowfalls a year, ranging from a dusting to lasting a week or so. That's in general. The odd year it can be a bad snow year but we haven't had one since I have lived here. I quite like watching the snow falling and watching the children playing in it. I don't like when it's thawing and muddy though!

Oh we only get around 3-4 feet of snow on average....about knee to thigh high....sometimes waist deep. All is normal...except anything over 5-6 feet..that's a big snow year, although in a coastal town you can get snow up to the eaves of the roof...soo glad we don't get that much here.

Lovely, I must say I do like snow. I have a recurring holiday fantasy about snow, sleds and a roaring fire.

*sigh* You are so lucky, our snow season is pretty pathetic.

I personally am tired of snow! I am sooo ready for spring! It snowed on the first day of spring here, and I was not happy about it. :lol: But today as I was leaving sw's house, I saw a robin in the neighbor's lot. So it is still too early to plant a garden, but not too early to daydream about it. :cool:

It is still cold here. Its about 10-25 degrees above zero fahrenheit during the day and somewhere below zero at night. On the plus side the sun is finally warm...Yes, in the winter the sun is cold..it puts off no warmth. Sometime in the next month the snow will start to go.

Welcome and know that there are some families on here that know about the cold. I live in the south now but i spent most of my life in mid to north Alberta Canada. the last year i was there it snowed in June and there was still 3 - 4 feet of snow on my front yard in April. Your descriptions sound like you live the ideal in a nice secluded wilderness. I envy you that but I certainly do not miss the snow, so enjoy your snow sports and snowmen etc I will continue to enjoy the flowers and butterflies in Jan. lol Look forward to hearing more from you in the forums!

Alaska,

We have family in Alaska (Fairbanks and Anchorage), but of course are not invited back due to our stance on Biblical Families (wife 2 speaking). However, here in Idaho we too have chickens and turkeys, but we also have cows (our main occupation) and have recently started milking goats. Give us a call or write next year when you begin your search. We'd love to help your farm out if we can!

- Cook Family

Back