• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Hello from North Carolina

eorl

Male
Hi all,

I've been lurking for a while and enjoying the posts, but wanted to step out from the shadows somewhat and say "hello".

I'v been looking at the issue of the biblical permissibility of having multiple wives for a few years now, and while I'm still willing to be convinced that it is inherently sinful, I think you all are right that it is not.

So, I'm looking to connect with other folks who think likewise, and therefore here I am! Relatedly, if there are any other guys around central NC on here interested in grabbing lunch sometime, hit me up.

Cheers,
jkstrick

Welcome jk. I'm not familiar with anyone in central NC although there are several over in the Asheville area. I'm in Georgia very near the NC border but that's western NC.

We're glad to have you though. Thanks for stepping out of the shadows.

and while I'm still willing to be convinced that it is inherently sinful
Hi jkstrick and welcome. It a good thing to to keep an open mind on the subject for once we close our mind then its no longer about seeking a truthful answer but it just becomes about us and trying to justify what ever it is that we are pursuing. The thing I have found hard is that most people are convinced that it is sinful and yet haven't even thought about why they say such a thing as the proofs offered are scanty at best. At this point we are absolutely convinced but would love to have someone at least present a solid argument against it and to be honest if that could be done, we too would be open to an altered viewpoint. But it hasn't happened yet and I don't believe it ever will. When we first came to this realization we felt a little dismayed and alone on the earth, and it is a comfort to be able to speak with others that see the subject as we do.
Nice to have you here, hope to get to know over time.

Welcome! Thanks for telling us about yourself. I look forward to seeing you participate on the forum :)

Greetings and welcome!

Welcome, jk! Good things ahead!

Hi all,

I've been lurking for a while and enjoying the posts, but wanted to step out from the shadows somewhat and say "hello".

I'v been looking at the issue of the biblical permissibility of having multiple wives for a few years now, and while I'm still willing to be convinced that it is inherently sinful, I think you all are right that it is not.

So, I'm looking to connect with other folks who think likewise, and therefore here I am! Relatedly, if there are any other guys around central NC on here interested in grabbing lunch sometime, hit me up.

Cheers,
jkstrick
Welcome. If you are open to learn and truly after the truth with an open heart and mind, then you will come to the same understanding as most here. A good start is too look up the true meaning of adultery in an older Strong's Concordance.

Strong's has been part of it. Reading through David Instone-Brewer's "Divorce and Remarriage in the Bible" for historical context (although I don't agree with some of his moral conclusions, and particularly I think he tries way too hard to attempt to paint Jesus as opposing polygamy). I also have read William Luck on the subject, and James Campbell's "A History and Philosophy of Marriage".

Mostly just reading the Bible itself and seeing what is described as adultery and what is not, though. Most of the difficulty is in reconciling the picture of marriage given in the Bible with the teachings in Matt 19 and parallel passages. But I think Tertullian (of all people!) has the right sense of it when he addresses the issue in "Against Marcion" Book 4 Chapter 34:

"I maintain, then, that there is a condition in the prohibition [Christ] now made of divorce. The case being supposed is that that a man put away his wife for the express purpose of marrying another."

Understanding that allows the other pieces to fit together, since it appears that Jesus expected that the Pharisees questioning him should already have understood the self-evident truth of what he was saying, over against the idea that He was creating new law for believers in His teaching about divorce. Although I would differ with Tertullian to think that, rather than being an issue of legitimate divorce versus illegitimate divorce, the issue that Jesus is addressing is the practical adulteration of women by the practice of divorcing them for reasons other than sexual immorality, saying that those who do so "adulterate" contrary to the command given through Moses to "not adulterate".

Back