• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Hello from Texas

Take your time. It will answer TONS of questions. And you will notice that race never plays any part of it.

That is so weird. Who told you all this racial stuff, if you don't mind saying?
Long story short, I have Mormon family members that know a lot of the early teachings of the Mormon religion. I have met some Mormon polygamists. Anytime I would try and ask a question of why African Americans couldn't do polygamy all they said was that it isn't right and blah blah blah. It's part of their early teachings. And let's just say I had issues with that. I feel that any "faith" that isolates instead of welcomes isn't something I am interested in. So yeah. I basically felt that they were saying "black people.... bad."

Long story short, I have Mormon family members that know a lot of the early teachings of the Mormon religion. I have met some Mormon polygamists. Anytime I would try and ask a question of why African Americans couldn't do polygamy all they said was that it isn't right and blah blah blah. It's part of their early teachings. And let's just say I had issues with that. I feel that any "faith" that isolates instead of welcomes isn't something I am interested in. So yeah. I basically felt that they were saying "black people.... bad."
Hmmmm. We are a welcoming group here, and try not to speak negatively of anyone, but that seems about right.

If your experiences were the FLDS or other "originalist" groups, then maybe that's where it comes from. The early Mormon church was essentially racist/segregated and bought into the whole Ham (blacks) are cursed argument.

To be fair, it wasn't just Mormons that had those views. Many mainstream denominations have had racial issues in the recent past.

Hmmmm. We are a welcoming group here, and try not to speak negatively of anyone, but that seems about right.

If your experiences were the FLDS or other "originalist" groups, then maybe that's where it comes from. The early Mormon church was essentially racist/segregated and bought into the whole Ham (blacks) are cursed argument.

To be fair, it wasn't just Mormons that had those views. Many mainstream denominations have had racial issues in the recent past.
Oh I'm sorry I didn't mean to be rude.

Sorry just a lot of frustration coming through. Won't happen again. Yeah with psychology being my major I took several classes on the philosophy of religion. So did vast research on different religions and where they came from. True lot of segregation happened in multiple faiths and not just one. So I apologize for my past statement. One thing that I really appreciate about my relationship "walk" with God is that he is understanding and loving to everybody. He sees us with no blemishes or flaws. That's how awesome God is to me

Ah, the Internet!

I wasn't calling you out. I was trying to preempt anyone from accusing me of being rude by calling out past Mormon teachings.

You were fine :)

Mikki, you're fine here. If you can make the Austin retreat, you'll see for yourself—this is a pretty warm group. And I think between you and Mojo, the thing is that we all acknowledge that many (all?) denominations have had racist issues in the past, but the LDS are the only group that have applied that racist theology to plural marriage (for obvious reasons). If the other denominations had permitted plural marriage, I'm sure racist teaching would have worked its way in there too, it just never became an issue for them because PM wasn't an issue for them.

Welcome @Mikki G.!

As you’ve heard with others, I don’t believe race is a concern.

Mikki, you're fine here. If you can make the Austin retreat, you'll see for yourself—this is a pretty warm group. And I think between you and Mojo, the thing is that we all acknowledge that many (all?) denominations have had racist issues in the past, but the LDS are the only group that have applied that racist theology to plural marriage (for obvious reasons). If the other denominations had permitted plural marriage, I'm sure racist teaching would have worked its way in there too, it just never became an issue for them because PM wasn't an issue for them.
Yeah, teachings back when some of these faiths began was very different from today's teachings. One thing about Christianity that God talks about in the bible is that we need to bring the teachings of his love and his mercy to ALL THE NATION'S. Everybody has inheritance to His kingdom. He wants everyone to know him and walk with him. He is just that awesome.

Welcome, Mikki.

Just as everyone else has their own unique viewpoints on issues, i look forward to hearing some of yours added in.

** mumbles to himself, "Don't scare the new people, Don't scare the new people." **

Back