• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Hello Ladies!

Hi Court!
I am constantly trying to find the balance between communicating my needs, and nagging. Not an easy task.

That is an understatement! We just had a busy weekend working and had a "slight" argument while we were trying to get a lot done in a short amount of time. I starting bossing orders around and later that evening we discussed what had happened. Simply I wasn't communicating my needs to him in a way that was effective. I had him read your post immediately! Thank you, it helped!

My husband and I have had long discussions about submitting. There are so many times when I just want to order everyone around ie., getting ready to go somewhere, building things around the farm, or around the house. It is really easy to get into the rut of saying let’s just do this or no I want it like this.

What finally made it easier for me to be submissive was when recently my husband and I were discussing Ephesians 5 : 22-33 he said “I do everything for you and our family. I don’t make one decision that doesn’t start with the question, Is this right for our family?” At that moment my heart was full and I try and remember that daily when I want him to do something my way and on my time. It is amazing how knowing we are both working towards a common goal makes it so much easier to submit.

Here's what I've learned and what I'm still learning about submitting. So about a year ago my husband was talking about it was time for his first wife to go get a job. I had just had a baby and thought that I needed to be the one to go out and work. I didn't think about that what he was telling me was what was coming from God. That I should have submitted. Instead out of jealousy I wanted to be where God was calling my Sister Wife to be. So I pushed it and eventually accepted a full time position. Since then I've been working 40+ hours a week with little time with the baby who is now 17 mos. To top it all off right after I accepted the job my daughter fell sick. We spent a week in the hospital and when we brought her home she started to have seizures. My husband and myself began to look into why did God allow this to happen? It was pretty clear that it happened around the time of my job. God led my husband back to this scripture:

Titus 2:3-5
"The aged women likewise, that they be in behaviour as becometh holiness, not false accusers, not given to much wine, teachers of good things; That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children, To be discreet, chaste, keepers at home, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the word of God be not blasphemed."

It wasn't my season to go out and work it was my sister wives because she already knew how to keep the home. In the scripture she was like the aged women. I was supposed to be the younger woman learning how to love my husbands and to be a keeper of the home. Instead I ran out of my husbands covering. So we dealt with my daughters illness and I kept working because my husband said that I needed to full fill my year of working to make up for not submitting. This didn't come from him. God deemed that I needed to work a year. So I obeyed and through all of this, as my year is coming to an end, I'm seeing what I missed out on. I'm seeing that I could have been a blessing and how I could have enjoyed my baby and other 5 kids. I could have had time for working out and school. I could have been there for my daughter while she was sick, even though I don't believe it would have been as severe as it was. As my year is coming to an end my daughter has started to develop and mysteriously (to the doctors) they can't find a reason why she was sick. God has a way of getting our attention. I'll always have these memories of how I didn't listen to, submit to, the view point. God is thinking we only have to listen. We are lucky enough to have husbands who can lead our house. I don't want to be the leader. I'm happy with submitting. I'm seeing how great things could have been.

That's my testimony. I have a lot to learn and have learned a lot. I love my husband and Sister Wife. I'm truly a blessed woman right where God has called me to be.

"Overall, wheres the handbook of how to be a good wife ?;)"

I am trying to be more submissive to my husband too. I find it hard sometimes because I grew up with society telling me to be the opposite. "Be independent, think about yourself, you are equal to a man". We as women were made for men, what we lack they have and what we lack they have. When I think of it in that aspect I see God's guidance, His love. When I let go and let God, my husband takes control and every decision is made they way he seems it to be fit. I know he puts what is in our best interest first. My suggestion is to let go and let God.

-Ally

Back