• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Hi

Mr.rslady20

Hi my name is Katie. My husband and I are not polygamous or thinking of being at all. But we (as in my husband and I as well as his extended family) practice Christian Patriarchy and Christian domestic discipline and through that my SIL's husband started feeling called to polygamy. My SIL is very negative to the idea, but knows she needs to be a submissive wife in all areas. So lots of discussion going on between them. She's not ready to take the leap of a forum yet, but I asked her if I joined and read some of the posts and passed on the info to her if that might help her. And she said, "yes, please!"
I feel so bad about how torn up she is about this since we live very close to each other and she is such a wonderful woman. Really all my inlaws are just amazing. I always ask my husband why he settled for me after being raised with such godly examples. ;) (I grew up in a broken home with a feminist mom so definitely still working on living up to the submissive wife the Bible portrays.)
I hope it's ok for me to join the forum when I'm not interested in polygamy for me. Any advice you would have (or Christian books or info that you could pass on) would be so appreciated by my SIL I know.

Welcome to the forum Katie! Towards the top right of this page you will find a menu called 'Resources', have a browse through that and you'll find plenty of reading material, particularly the 'Common misconceptions' page and 'Books and links'. You're certainly welcome even though you aren't seeking this yourself, the church needs more people who are accepting of others who see this as right for their own lives.

On a small note, I will point out that most people here follow patriarchy but not domestic discipline, the two do not usually go together and that isn't something Biblical Families promotes in any way. I say this not to debate the matter with you (it doesn't bother me if that's how you feel is the right way to live your lives), but rather for other readers who could look at this and think "Just as I suspected, all polygamists are wife-beaters as well as child abusers"... All the media-driven misconceptions we have to deal with...

As I said, welcome, and please tell your SIL we're a friendly bunch and don't bite. :)

FollowingHim said:
"Just as I suspected, all polygamists are wife-beaters as well as child abusers"...

Is that what I am supposed to be, really? :D

@Katie

"Biblical Families is dedicated to encouraging and strengthening Biblical marriages, including, but certainly not limited to, plural marriage."

BF is for families of all sizes. Welcome ma'am.

Hello and welcome Katie. And to your husband and sister in law as well. I have heard many good things about the ladies chat. That might be the best place to start, especially considering that this is dealing with a matter of the heart. Us fellas tend to talk more about the technical stuff, but we can be pretty dumb about the emotional end of things. Again, welcome to you all. May your time here be greatly Blessed.

Welcome Katie! I think it is great you are willing to introduce yourself for the benefit of someone else. I hope you will find some encouraging and thought provoking information here. I would like to let you know that your SIL can be a "Lurker". Most of our Forum is open to the public, you don't have to be a member to read it. It is only if you want to post a reply on a thread do you need to be a member or if you would like to be a part of our Private Forums. We have many "Lurkers" who hang around for awhile until they get comfortable enough to join and introduce themselves. Just a thought...

Thank you so much for all the kinds words! I have to admit I felt really awkward joining this forum, but you all have made me feel so welcome. I'll tell my SIL about lurking. I know she's having a really hard time submitting to her husband in this area and I think this forum would really encourage her. And I apologize for taking forever to reply. We just had our first baby, a beautiful little girl. :) And yeah, she doesn't sleep, like ever . . . But I'm just enjoying all the extra time to hold her because I know everyone says they grow up so fast.

Congratulations! They do grow up fast. You don't really notice, then you have a second, and suddenly realise the first has become enormous!

Back