• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Holidays!

James

Real Person
Gentlemen, I have a question for you all. This is mostly for the guys who already have a plural family. During the holiday season how fun is it or how difficult is it when dealing with the families of your wives. I believe if they accept your family then it has to be a lot of fun. I love the holidays and spending it with family. Lacey and I can't wait to make our family so much bigger.

My own extended family (parents, sister, nephews, etc) fully accepts us (if not fully in agreement) - so not only do we tend to spend holidays with them, we moved 3000 miles primarily to live close to them. Julie's family has come around slowly, but is scattered, so extended family doesn't get-together much. Nita's sister accepts us so is welcome here - her mother is totally out of our lives (and therefore all her grandchildren's lives) over the issue (actually, more like "over not being able to control").

So: It's a mixed bag for us, and "Yes" it's a lot of fun when extended family accepts you and spends time with all of you together. But don't let them use withholding that as a weapon against your family. Just ignore it - their loss.

Our family is not aware of our search for another wife, yet.

However, Bexy's brother is pagan and has a wife and "live-in-girlfriend" (for all intents and purposes, another bride). Bexy's mother accepts her only because it is the only way to see her son and her grandson. Bexy's sister basically ignores her. Gifts given are usually to "[brother] and [legally married wife]" and "[girlfriend]". So, any "couples" gifts are given to the actually, legally married couple--and [girlfriend] is given a 'token'.

Our family, however, have completely befriended them. We spend lots of time talking with them and to some degree "study" their relationship and the pitfalls they have faced. (Mind you, many of their pitfalls we will never face--like all the difficulties they have with an "open relationship".)

So, this season, we are considering inviting them over to spend Christmas Eve at our house instead of Grandma's and have a big celebration here. (Grandma has also become annoyed at how big our families have become. With six children for our family, three for Becky's sister and one--with one on the way--for her brother, Grandma is having difficulty dealing with the "chaos".)

It's a mixed bag for us.

Back